OT: child with allergies and epi pen?

bzzymom

DIS Veteran
I think this is the right board to put this on.

DS (9) had a very severe reaction yesterday to something, possible red juice box from baseball game the evening before. He began coughing after his game. In the am he woke up with lips and nose area swollen and hives over whole body. We got into his doctor and got prescription for steroids to help him. We went straight to target pharmacy and in the 15 minutes it took to have the pills filled, his hives and itching increased rapidly. I called the doctor's and told them I was coming back to get a shot for DS, which he got. We went home, took benadryl, and prednisone and then about an hour he came to me and he was loosing his voice. He was breathing OK, but I wasn't about to let him get any worse. We then went to ER and got epi shot. They increased the steroid and amount of benadryl for a few days.

My MD is going on vacation next week. I have put a call in to his nurse and told her that I thought DS needs epi pen, one for home, one for school. We will be getting it later this afternoon. My question to parents with the kids is do you do the pen for your child, or do you teach your child how to do it. DS will be 10 next month.

I would apprecitate hearing from anyone who has had similar experiences.

I think this is the right board to put this on.

DS (9) had a very severe reaction yesterday to something, possible red juice box from baseball game the evening before. He began coughing after his game. In the am he woke up with lips and nose area swollen and hives over whole body. We got into his doctor and got prescription for steroids to help him. We went straight to target pharmacy and in the 15 minutes it took to have the pills filled, his hives and itching increased rapidly. I called the doctor's and told them I was coming back to get a shot for DS, which he got. We went home, took benadryl, and prednisone and then about an hour he came to me and he was loosing his voice. He was breathing OK, but I wasn't about to let him get any worse. We then went to ER and got epi shot. They increased the steroid and amount of benadryl for a few days.

My MD is going on vacation next week. I have put a call in to his nurse and told her that I thought DS needs epi pen, one for home, one for school. We will be getting it later this afternoon. My question to parents with the kids is do you do the pen for your child, or do you teach your child how to do it. DS will be 10 next month.

I would apprecitate hearing from anyone who has had similar experiences.

I don't have a child with this problem, but I myself carry an Epi-pen because I have severe reaction to bee/hornet/wasp stings. My throat starts to close up in minutes and I cannot breathe. I have had to show DH and my two teens how to give this to me in the event of a problem because when you can't breathe, you really aren't so capable of giving yourself the injection. I would certainly show your DS how to do it himself, but would tell him that is just for when no adult is there (you or DH) to do it for him. ;)

Sorry to hear about this reaction - I hope you can pinpoint the issue!

My son is just 5 now but I agree with the previous poster. I would want him to know how to use it as soon as he is old enough to handle it (10 might be a good age for that) but an adult should be asked if one is available (like the parents of course). I think it is important for him to know that the epi can't hurt him if he isn't sure what to do and is alone - hopefully the allergist will go over all this with you. I think it important he see an allergist and have some tests done once his body has had a chance to settle down.

There are also some paks out there to carry them around in. We deal with a peanut allergy so I read the stuff at their boards (http://www.peanutallergy.com/bbpage.htm) - which might help you for stuff like that....and school issues.

I work in the nurses office at a junior high. Yes, we teach the students how to use it. But, once the Epi Pen is administered 911 most be called ( or immediatly taken to the ER)!!! Make sure he or the professional or lay person realizes too, if you have the dual jet where there is a 2nd injection in then pen which can also be administered in 15 mins.

You should teach the child to use it- his friends, his friends parents and anyone who has contact with your child. Sometimes the child/allergic person may NOT be able to give them self the shot. Thats why other people have to know.

Taylor

:grouphug:

My son is only 20 months so he can't do it himself yet, but I do plan on teaching how as soon as he gets old enough. We have 2 twin packs: I keep one in the diaper bag so it's always with me and the other stays at home in the kitchen.

Carol, what packs are there to carry them in? I usually keep them in a pocket in my diaper bag and we're never outside if it's really hot so I never worried, but should I get a pack to carry them for when we're at WDW?

My son is 13 and has carried an epi pen since he was 4. The above advice is very good. Especially the part about calling 911 if you have to use it. The epipen is a temporary solution. Many people who have a anaphylactic reaction will have another one about 15 minutes after the epipen shot without medical treatment.

We ran into problems with school. I had to get the doctor to write a note to the school that ds has to keep the pen and his inhaler on him. That he can administer it to himself, and that in the event of an emergency school staff can administer it to him, without any legal recourse from me.

My Son was trained to give himself the epi at 7 years old, and we review it twice a year at the allergists office.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter