OT- National Society of Leadership and Success

southernbelle5672

DIS Veteran
Hey guys. This is a little off topic but I am hoping that someone here can help me. I am a college student and I recently received an invitation to join the "National Society of Leadership and Success". It says that I have been invited because I have above a 3.3 GPA. It also says that it is an asset to your resume' to join and stuff like that. I am concerned that it is a scam.

The letter inviting me to join is from someone at my school and I have been in contact with her. She wasn't very helpful in telling me if it was a scam (maybe the school gets money for every student that joins?) Is this like the "Who's Who" invitation that you get in high school? I know that is really not worthy anything. It will cost me $75 to join and if it is legitimate and worth it, I don't mind paying the money.

Has anyone heard of it?

I got the same letter in the mail from the national honor society, but I don't think that it is very legit.

From what I've seen, (they have this at my school too, I did not join) this hasn't really benefited anyone who has joined.

Hey guys. I just wanted to tell everyone that I e-mailed my advisor about the group and this is what he said:

"You’re right to be cautious, and you’re the 2nd person who’s come to me about this.

To me, and this is just my opinion, it’s exactly as you suspect. A money maker for the company, but not a bonifide organization. They have a super slick website with video of Goldie Hawn and some other celebrities, but it comes across more like an infomercial than an academic society. Plus the seventy five dollar membership is a little steep. Because it’s so new, I would not be comfortable mentioning them in any resume or school application that I did.

With that being said, I would go to the informational session (I’m planning to go) to see what they talk about. Perhaps they are onto something, and if so it may be worth getting into."

That's just his opinion but it confirms what most of you have said. Today is the last day for me to sign up and I really couldn't decide. Thanks so much for everyone's help. It is much appreciated!

A good alternative would be to become a member of a professional society or organization within your field. In animal programs, it would be the AZA. In industrial engineering it would be the Institute of Industrial Engineers, etc.

Im in the National Society of Leadership and Success at my school at the University of South Alabama the program is relatively new I think its started in 2000. So far We've heard from some really good speakers who really encourage you and make you feel like you can do anything as long as you set your mind on a goal and stick to it. There are also SNT groups(Student Networking Teams) and I found this very encouraging because not only do you encourage others to reach their goals but they encourage you as well. This is my schools first year doing the program and it actually turned out to be a whole lot better than I thought it would be! Of course my dad had to make sure it was legit b4 he spent the 75 dollars but so far I'm glad that I did it! Good luck if you decided to do it!

THe National Society of Leadership and Success is NOT a scam. They have chapters in 180+ campuses and still growing. I am the founding chapter president myself for my local campus, and I enjoyed everything about the Society, beacuse it is one of the many few honor societies that promotes leadership. If you are uncertain about joining, you can attend Orientation and then decide whether or not to continue with your membership. The mermbership is refundable within 45 days, and they are very nice about refunds.

I have 220+ members in my first quarter, and our evaluation came out to be above 4.0/5.0 scales. Everyone in my chapter benefits from being part of the society because it provides opportunies for self-discoveries, career mapping, and of course, networking with other students.

You can google other local chapter's website on google. Good luck w/ you!

This may not be a scam, but the National Leadership and Success Society is a JOKE!!! It is ran by all kids. Not worth at all. DO NOT DO IT!!! I am an 8 year Marine Veteran, have a wife and daughter and a home, so I am past the stage of dealing with messing around trying to get things done. I don't like to be ran in circles. I signed up but couldn't even get past the first part which is the easiest!! I wanted to do my orientation online as this is where I do most of my school because of my schedule. I contacted my Leadership advisor and also his boss 10 different times to get the info. This happened throughout a month!! I never got the info. Every time I spoke with them (when I was able to get ahold of someone) their story changed. I know I could get their emails because I always got their blanket emails and the emails about the next steps. NEVER what I requested!! So finally I spoke to someone about getting a refund and explained my disgust, and he went to the woman who was my advisors boss, and she didn't even have the courage to get on the phone I HEARD her in the background tell him to say she's in a meeting, yet she was able to tell him to tell me she will send me a link to get my refund. WHAT A JOKE!!!!! So I called the National number to complain about my chapter, and guess what, it rang with a beep at the ned like it's a cell phone and someone is on the other line...wow. So being the national number I figured ok now I'll get to talk to someone who knows that they're doing. Nope. I get another kid!!!! So she says she will have my specific chapter mentor call me within 24 hours and If i do NOT hear from them to call back. Guess what...it's been 3 weeks and I've called back 18 times. Stories keep changing. DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS. HOW IS AN ORGANIZATION THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP PEOPLE WITH LEADERSHIP AND SUCCESS NOT EVEN ABLE TO DO THEIR JOB AND SEND AN EMAIL OR TAKE CARE OF THEIR MEMBERS. JOKE!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter