Our first trip "home" to the BWV

JandD Mom

Striving for a magical life!
Hi all,

I just wanted to give you a brief report on our first trip to the BWV as DVC members.

First, we were greeted with a big "Welcome home" as soon as we drove up to the security gate, and again at check-in.

The folks at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. They bent over backwards to see if they had a room that met my requests. The wind up was, they did not have anything ready that met my request of 1 BR near the elevator, higher floor, standard view. However, what they gave us was room 2115, which is on the same floor as the front desk, pretty far down the hall. We loved it! We had easy access to the pool and walkway to MGM via the stairs, and we had a lovely view of the bridge over the little lake in front of the parking area, the bus stop, and the conference center. We had a covered balcony that went the length of the unit and it was great!

Housekeeping: I did have several complaints about housekeeping and did make several calls because I kept finding things wrong. Everything was fixed quickly, but it was very annoying. First, the kitchen floor was not clean. Second, they only left 1 bar of soap and 1 bottle of shampoo in the unit. There were no pillows in the closet and no extra blanket. When I called to complain I was brought up several extra bars of soap and shampoo, the pillows and a blanket. They also only left us 4 bath towels which is what I thought we were supposed to get. However, after full cleaning, and T&T, we were left 6.

Also, the refrigerator did not work. We had to call maintenance and the man came to "fix" it while my kids were sleeping. I was not happy. It turns out, the fridge has to be "activated" and no one did that with ours.

In general, the housekeeper did not do a good job cleaning the unit before we arrived. There was splattered red sauce all over kitchen cabinets, and even the wall behind the stove. These were never cleaned. There was coffee or something running down the front of the dishwasher, this should have been wiped. Luckily, I did not listen to those who made fun of me, and I brought lots of clorox wipes and used them to clean the place up. When I complained about the condition to housekeeping, they did offer to send someone up, but I had already cleaned it. I did suggest they go over the cleaning protocol with whomever cleaned the room because s/he did not do the job.

However, Housekeeping was a non-issue for us after that first day. They did a good job for the full cleaning.

Condition of room: The bedding, rugs and furniture seemed to be in good condition, but the sofa bed seems like it is in good condition, though probably ready for replacement. It as the old type of sofa bed (though I am not exactly sure what the "new" type is supposed to be like). My kids never complained about sleeping on it, which is a good sign. There was some mold on the grout in the shower. My only other complaint is that the balcony and furniture on it was pretty dirty. There was mold/dirt apparent on the awning over one side of it. There was also a large rust stain and hole in the front of the fridge, so this is probably ready for replacement.

My biggest peve with the room is the stove. The heating elements stuck out and never fit in right. When I put a pan on the stove it would tilt because I could not get the elements to fit in straight. It was annoying. I hope the stoves get replaced or fixed in the next rehab.

Staff: Great! Super! We always got quick, efficient service for everything. Sean at the front desk was wonderful, and even managed to get MIL into the adjoining studio when she joined us for 1 night later in our stay. Valet always had our car quickly when we called them, and the bellman came up promptly when we arrived and departed. I have to say though, I have never experienced bad service at Disney no matter where I stayed, and especially not at the BW. I think part of the service you get depends on how you treat the CMs, and DH and I always treat them like friends instead of servants.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away! We had a great time! :cheer2:

Thanks for all the details!

Best wishe s-

JandD Mom said:
Hi all,

Staff: Great! Super! We always got quick, efficient service for everything. Sean at the front desk was wonderful, and even managed to get MIL into the adjoining studio when she joined us for 1 night later in our stay. Valet always had our car quickly when we called them, and the bellman came up promptly when we arrived and departed. I have to say though, I have never experienced bad service at Disney no matter where I stayed, and especially not at the BW. I think part of the service you get depends on how you treat the CMs, and DH and I always treat them like friends instead of servants.

The odds of getting a studio for your Mom- in- Law right next to your one bedroom should have been slim to none. You were very lucky with that one. Also I find at DVC most of the CMs are so terrific that we only remember the bad ones. In other timeshares/resorts we only remember the good ones since there are so many bad ones.
I'm glad you had such a nice vacation on your first trip home.
Marylyn

Nice report. Hopefully they will replace that stove with one of the new single surface ones like they have given us in the OKW rehab.

icy-dog said:
The odds of getting a studio for your Mom- in- Law right next to your one bedroom should have been slim to none. You were very lucky with that one. Also I find at DVC most of the CMs are so terrific that we only remember the bad ones. In other timeshares/resorts we only remember the good ones since there are so many bad ones.
I'm glad you had such a nice vacation on your first trip home.
Marylyn

Marylyn,

I agree, and we had no expectation that would happen. When we checked in, we dealt with a CM who was "earning his ears." And we were very nice to him, wished him luck, and made sure we complimented him. We mentioned it was our first trip home as DVC members and that we were very excited to be there. I also mentioned to Sean who was training him that MIL was coming a week later, and asked it it would be possible to put her somewhere reasonably close to us. He asked for her name and told me he would work on it. Mid week we were passing through the lobby and I waived at him, and he yelled out "I am still working on that room for you." Which was nice since I did not ask, and did not stop to bother him.

The night before she came I went to speak to him. I then mentioned that I thought the studio adjacent to ours was open. They told me it would be open in the morning, and they would give it to her. Of course, she came on a Friday which, as you know, is a huge check out day, so that helped a little.

All in all, it was a very nice trip. We are very happy to be members. :love:

dianeschlicht said:
Nice report. Hopefully they will replace that stove with one of the new single surface ones like they have given us in the OKW rehab.

They have those at OKW? :earseek: I am really jealous!!!!!!!!!

I would love to have one of those because I have one at home. Unfortunately, many people don't know how to clean those properly.

JandD Mom said:
they only left 1 bar of soap and 1 bottle of shampoo in the unit. There were no pillows in the closet and no extra blanket. When I called to complain I was brought up several extra bars of soap and shampoo, the pillows and a blanket. They also only left us 4 bath towels which is what I thought we were supposed to get. However, after full cleaning, and T&T, we were left 6.

This reminds me of something I've been wondering - where can I find a list of what is supposed to be in each size unit? So that I don't embarrass myself the first few trips home calling and asking for things that maybe should not even be there...

snowbunny said:
This reminds me of something I've been wondering - where can I find a list of what is supposed to be in each size unit? So that I don't embarrass myself the first few trips home calling and asking for things that maybe should not even be there...
There are lists on the member web site for each resort.

Thank you for the report.
We are new members and will be going home in December.
Are the sleeper sofa's comfortable and big enough for two little girls, ages 6 and 9?
dd

Daname said:
Thank you for the report.
We are new members and will be going home in December.
Are the sleeper sofa's comfortable and big enough for two little girls, ages 6 and 9?
dd

I have twin DDs who are 7 -- One is very tall, the other is very petite (no one believes they are twins). They probably are about the size of your DDs. The sofa in the 1 br is a queen, so they had plenty of room. They also never complained about comfort. Believe me when I tell you they would complain, and complain if they were uncomfortable.

They slept very well the whole time we were there. Also, they have their own rooms so they do not normally sleep together in the same bed. We had no problems at all.

FYI, my MIL came for 1 night and had a studio. That sofa bed is a full size and not a queen. Good luck!

dianeschlicht said:
There are lists on the member web site for each resort.

I am logged in there right now ...is this what you mean by the list of what is provided at the start of each stay? thanks

"With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

Toiletries Package, $3.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 body soap, 1 shampoo
Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers
Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
Laundry Detergent (only in one-, two-, and three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box"

I will start another post. I too am really curious as to how much shampoo and soap you are supposed to get, and how many towels. I am also curious as to whether they are replaced. I thought you get new tide, shampoo and soap during trash and towel (We did when I rented in 2003). When I called during our stay I was told no. Please check out the new post. Thanks!

bobbiwoz said:
I think that one bottle of shampoo is what we get!

Bobbi :flower:
I think you are right. That's what we got, too. I never use the stuff anyway. You can't go for a week and expect to use that (unless you are a guy!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter