Our first visit plus we're buying annual passes - What do I need to know?

Tulip2796

Mouseketeer
I visited Disney years ago but don't remember much plus clearly much has changed.
We're planning on visiting soon (me, DH and 2 kids) and will be purchasing annual passes. We are FL residents but will do overnights bc the drive is a few hours.
I read the boards but still feel pretty clueless when it comes to planning this. Will be buying passes later this week (online), booking a hotel (on or offsite, not sure), and our weekend trip is less than 50 days away. Feeling overwhelmed.

In buying annual passes and beginning to take trips there, what are some the key pieces of information that people think I should know? I keep reading about special parties, and events that have a separate cost and I can't keep track of what are must do's and must know's . Also, how do I locate information about annual passholder benefits and just all that's going on? TIA!

"how do I locate information about annual passholder benefits and just all that's going on"

Have you tried google or Disney's web site?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/ is a start for AP benefits.
When you get to the park you can either activate your AP at the ticket window or Guest Services. You will need your MB and a photo ID. Be sure you get the AP card as well as you need that for the discounts.

Most of the parties are not related to APs. During November and December is MVMCP, a special ticket event. you can find more on the Disney site about it.
Special Passholder events are hit and miss. Often not posted until a few months before they occur. Living a few hours away, you might be able to modify plans to attend them. Most of us can't. They either occur when we are there or we miss them.

In buying annual passes and beginning to take trips there, what are some the key pieces of information that people think I should know?

Couple of things just from the information you provided. You can book Fastpasses 60 days out if you are staying on property, off property 30 days out, but at 30 days out the major rides 7DMT, FOP, SDD will likely not have anything available for FP. I would get the AP soon, look for possible room discounts because of the AP. You might find a room discount that makes it worth staying on property vs off. Research all the AP benefits - sometimes there are special invitation AP events, dining discounts, room and shopping discounts and you get the photopass photos.

If you have the flexibility to go whenever then i would avoid holidays and weekends if you can. You will begin to realize the better times for you to visit when you won't encounter all the crowds. I would consider hitting all the major festivals - festival of the arts, flower and garden, food and wine and then the Christmas holidays -- candlelight processional and holiday festivals around the world. Disney pretty much has something going on at all times of the year so that they can keep you coming back for more.

Couple of things just from the information you provided. You can book Fastpasses 60 days out if you are staying on property, off property 30 days out, but at 30 days out the major rides 7DMT, FOP, SDD will likely not have anything available for FP. I would get the AP soon, look for possible room discounts because of the AP. You might find a room discount that makes it worth staying on property vs off. Research all the AP benefits - sometimes there are special invitation AP events, dining discounts, room and shopping discounts and you get the photopass photos.

If you have the flexibility to go whenever then i would avoid holidays and weekends if you can. You will begin to realize the better times for you to visit when you won't encounter all the crowds. I would consider hitting all the major festivals - festival of the arts, flower and garden, food and wine and then the Christmas holidays -- candlelight processional and holiday festivals around the world. Disney pretty much has something going on at all times of the year so that they can keep you coming back for more.

This was very helpful, thank you. I didn't know about the processionals and holiday festivals. I can understand why people plan so much, I feel the urgency to plan even though I know I have all year to enjoy the parks. It sometimes seems impossible to be aware of it all. I've read that some people get an annual passholder newsletter but that it's hit or miss as to whether you receive it or not, so I'm just trying to be informed going into this.

Keep checking here for AP magnet threads.

We got ours in July that was supposed to end in June, but read here about continued distribution in Epcot’s Mouse Gears.

I bought my first AP this January. Bought an AAA discounted 10-day then converted at Disney hotel to AP. Easy process and was able to use discounted Target gift card for the balance. The one thing I didn't know was to ask for the AP discount card. They didn't offer one and I didn't know to ask.

Not sure when you're planning on going but don't forget your AP cheeseboard if you are able to go to F&W 4 times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter