Our Magical 12/22/01 Christmas Cruise!

Jules62

Earning My Ears
We had the most wonderful time on our 12/22/01 cruise aboard the Disney Magic. After we got the airfare worked out after SunCountry went out of business, everything went off without a hitch!

We arrived in Florida on Thursday morning. We stayed at Royal Mansions which is right on the ocean. It was pretty nice and it was really nice being that close to the beach. On Friday we went to Kennedy Space Center...my DD(13) was totally bored out of her mind! DH and I enjoyed it anyway.

We got up early on Saturday and went out to breakfast at Perkins. We then went back to the hotel, got all of our stuff...way too much stuff I must add...as it barely fit in out rental car...and we were off to the Port. When we pulled in and saw that beautiful ship for the first time, I got all misty...all that planning and our trip was FINALLY here! I dropped my DH and DD off with the luggage and took the car back to the Radisson.

When I got back to the Port, my family was there waiting on me...chomping at the bit to get inside and get checked in. Check in was a breeze and we went and got in line to board. I kept our place in line while my DD and DH went and explored...they did the same for me when they were done. As I was waiting I noticed a guy at the front of the line who looked REALLY familiar...then it hit me...it was the Mayor of Milwaukee and his family. Talk about small worlds!

We got on the ship and headed right for Topsiders. The food on the buffet was very good and my DH said the shrimp was wonderful...it must have been...he had ALOT of it! I am allergic to seafood so I couldn't have any
:( . I used to be able to eat seafood so I know what I am missing. After we were done eating I went to Palos to get brunch and dinner reservations...I got the times I wanted for both of those. Our anniversary was on 12/24 and we wanted to make it extra special by having dinner at Palo that evening. Then we went to the spa, booked our surial bath...and the running around was complete...it was time to RELAX!! BTW...my DH strongly recommends the lamb at Palos...he said it was absolutely fabulous!

My DD was a bit seasick the first couple of days...I didn't realize it as she didn't say anything. When she finally fessed up, I gave her some Bonine and she was fine the rest of the time. DH and I did not get seasick at all which is what I expected. Neither DH nor I have had any problems with motion sickness in the past.

The first 2 days at sea were beautiful! We relaxed...soaked up some sun...and relaxed some more. We also did the wine tasting which was fun. We had late seating dinner which was very nice. Our server was Ferdinand from the Phillipines...he was great. We had a picky eater at our table...no one from my family...but he was great with her...he got her to try food even when she didn't want to.

We were in St. Martin on Christmas day. The shops on the Dutch side were open but the shops on the French side were not. We went to the market place and bought some tshirts and stuff...and got DD hair braided. She looked so cute! We took all out loot back the ship...got our suits on and took the water taxi back acrossed to the beach. We wanted to do the Regatta, unfortunately, it wasn't running that day...just another reason to go back! It was a little strange being in that gorgeous warm weather on Christmas...but I think I could get used to it!

On Wednesday we got up super early to get through immigration. That whole process was a joke! They didn't even glance at our documentation. It did go really fast though...but I could have been sleeping! We did the Trunk Bay snorkle excursion on St. John. Trunk Bay is BEAUTIFUL! We saw a donkey walking down the road by himself when we were in the taxi going to the beach. What a trip that was...the whole driving on the wrong side of the road is kinda scary...and we almost got sideswiped by a delivery truck! When we got back from the excursion, we walked over to the shops and shopped till we dropped. It was strange seeing those Christmas decorations when it was in the 80's!

Thursday...our last day at sea was kind of overcast and misty. The sun did break through for awhile...but then it went back to being gray.

Friday came...it was a little overcast. By the time we docked at Castaway Cay and got off the ship...the sun was beginning to peak through. Then the clouds dissipated and the sun was out! The weather on Castaway was perfect! DH and I strolled down to the adult beach. What a pretty spot...and quiet too!!! We waded in the water and saw a starfish...that was cool. We did find a hammock...way down by the Heads Up Bar...we relaxed in the hammock for awhile while enjoying a Konk Cooler...YUM!!!!

We had such a magical time. This was my DH and DD first cruise and they enjoyed it so much we are planning on going back next Christmas. I would love to be able to go at a less expensive time of the year...but DD cannot miss that much school and we don't want to go in the summer...that would defeat the purpose for us..we are going to get away from the cold!

The disembarkation process is so easy on the Magic. I remember what a nightmare it was when my mom and I went on Carnival. It took FOREVER to get off that ship!

So our first cruise as a family was perfect. Good food...good weather...great times!

:D :D Jules:D :D

Your Christmas Cruise sounds wonderful!
You did a great job writing your trip report - thanks for sharing your trip[ with us!
Pam

Thank you for the great report. I learned a lot. Going at the end of January. Can't wait!

Thanks for the great report - we are arriving a day early and thought we would do the space center with our almost 12 year old son - he generally hates museums - will he hate this? What did they have to do there?

The Space Center was very interesting to my DH and I. Alot of the stuff showed and talked about things like the first moon landing...etc. I remember being in grade school at that time and watching those kinds of things on a black and white TV in class. So alot of it was reliving important events such as that. They don't really make alot out of space travel...shuttle launches...etc anymore so kids don't really develop an interest in that kind of thing. If your son is at all interested in space and that kind of stuff, I think he would enjoy the Space Center. Unfortunately the most interesting thing about the whole day to my DD was the alligator that was swimming around in the pond!

:bounce: :bounce: Jules:bounce: :bounce:

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for writing about your trip. I don't mind being away for a holiday if it means I can escape from the cold, gray NY winter. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter