Outdoor Furniture Directly on Grass

You can find patio furniture made out of all sorts of materials and depends mostly on your budget and how much time you want to spend with upkeep. The reason you don't see most people putting patio furniture directly on the grass is what others have already mentioned. The grass will die/burn out from being in the shade and you have to move them to cut the grass. Furniture in the elements will develop mold/mildew if you don't wipe them off after it rains or even from the humidity in the air. It will also be awkward sitting on the ground because it it isn't a flat surface, the chair will be to one side or might even fall over when someone sits on them. A patio is a better choice for permanent furniture. If you just want to put chairs on the lawn when having guests is different from something that will be set out permanently. Even putting down some crushed stone/lava rock is probably a better option then putting the furniture directly on the grass.

Wood furniture needs periodic power-washing/staining. The sunlight will cause all materials to fade/weather over time. Those new synthetic woods are supposedly more weather resistant but also tend to be pricey. Adirondack chairs are sold in several materials from plastic to wood. All require some kind of maintenance and the cheaper plastic ones tend to fade quickly in the sunlight.

Outdoor furniture requires special care and attention. If you don't buy products made from high-quality material, even rain can damage them. My child was once playing with a ball in our garden. The external door was made of glass, and he broke it. Outdoor furniture requires special care and attention. If you don't buy products made from high-quality material, even rain can damage them. My child was once playing with a ball in our garden. The external door was made of glass, and he broke it. I was not mad at him because we had to change it anyway. My friend told me that I should consider getting a wooden door to avoid unpleasant situations, and he suggested internaldoorsuk.co.uk. I realized that when having a child, you should choose the safest option when it comes to furniture, even if you have to pay more.
I would not recommend ANY furniture be made out of glass if there are going to be kids around. Heck, for most adults I wouldn't recommend glass furniture.

I stumbled upon this thread from five years ago, but I couldn't resist jumping in to offer some suggestions for your outdoor furniture setup directly on the grass.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this thread from five years ago, but I couldn't resist jumping in to offer some suggestions for your outdoor furniture setup directly on the grass.
And yet, you didn't offer any suggestions.

And Welcome to the Dis.

• Synthetic Wicker is a lifesaver: This stuff is awesome for outdoors. It weathers well, dries quickly after rain, and is super easy to clean. I have a synthetic wicker conversation set that's been on my lawn for a few summers now, and it still looks great. Just make sure you get high-quality resin wicker, not the cheap PVC kind.
  • Cast Aluminum is another good choice: It's lightweight, rust-proof, and can handle the elements. The downside is it can get a bit hot in the sun, so if you're planning on lounging for long periods, you might want to add some seat cushions.

Wondering what the OP ended up doing since 2018
I’m looking into buying some outdoor furniture. A patio or deck is not a realistic option for this summer, so anything we buy will be directly on the grass. We do have the option of storing furnitures in inclement weather, but would prefer that it can stay outside. What are our best material options for our outdoor setup?
Its been a minute, wondering how it all went for you?

OP hasn't been around since 2021, so doubt they will return. Others reviving this thread are probably trying to get free advertising for the outdoor furniture they sell...................LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter