Owning both Direct and Resale points v2

Ajaysummer

Earning My Ears
We currently own 150 points at VGF with Feb UY. We are already hooked and are considering buying resale points somewhere else (maybe like 50 for now). My question is, as long as we purchase a resale contract at a different resort (one of the original 14) with the same UY (Feb) do both my resale and direct points show up under the same membership/member ID but with separate resorts? Just wondering if it gets super complicated managing points or banking/borrowing etc. We will likely not be utilizing the 11 month booking window for now with such a low amount of points (50), so we can ignore that aspect for now (and I understand how that works). If someone who has done this can tell me how it works/looks/functions I would greatly appreciate it.

Question #2: if we only buy 50 resale points and eventually want to buy more resale points at the same resort with the same UY, would those points just combine in my membership page? For example, say we bought 50 points resale for AK now and say we buy 100 resale AK points in the future with the same UY, would it show up as 150 AK points (all with resale properties)

My question is, as long as we purchase a resale contract at a different resort (one of the original 14) with the same UY (Feb) do both my resale and direct points show up under the same membership/member ID but with separate resorts?
yes, so long as you’re meticulously careful to have all of your information on the new contract precisely match your existing one.

Mickey H Mouse is not the same as Mickey H. Mouse, for example.

Just to add, those resale point won’t be good at RiV, VDH, CFW or potentially other future resorts. Only your direct points will be.

But, being in the same membership means you can combine for 7 month bookings easily for the resorts that are eligible for booking with resale points.

Question #2: if we only buy 50 resale points and eventually want to buy more resale points at the same resort with the same UY, would those points just combine in my membership page? For example, say we bought 50 points resale for AK now and say we buy 100 resale AK points in the future with the same UY, would it show up as 150 AK points (all with resale properties)

Each contract you add (same UY - same names - so same membership), will end up in your account as separate contracts, but all visible. For example: Primary direct Poly contract XXXXXX.0, 2nd (resale) AKV contract XXXXXX.1, 3rd (resale) AKV contract XXXXXX.2 where all the XXXXXX's would be the same number, etc, etc. The 2 AKV contracts will both maintain 11-month booking at AKV, and the .0 contract would have the 11-month booking at Poly. As mentioned already, the resale points will not be valid at any of the new resorts (RIV, VDH, CFW).

Each contract you add (same UY - same names - so same membership), will end up in your account as separate contracts, but all visible. For example: Primary direct Poly contract XXXXXX.0, 2nd (resale) AKV contract XXXXXX.1, 3rd (resale) AKV contract XXXXXX.2 where all the XXXXXX's would be the same number, etc, etc. The 2 AKV contracts will both maintain 11-month booking at AKV, and the .0 contract would have the 11-month booking at Poly. As mentioned already, the resale points will not be valid at any of the new resorts (RIV, VDH, CFW).
Thank you, that is good to know as I suspect we will want to continue to add points as our children grow up and we need more room lol

yes, so long as you’re meticulously careful to have all of your information on the new contract precisely match your existing one.

Mickey H Mouse is not the same as Mickey H. Mouse, for example.
Thanks, if we go through with it we will be extra careful and have a copy of our first contract with us!

Also, we own AKV & VGF with 2 different UY, and it makes it very easy to know how many points are in each contract because on the DVC website they are shown as separate contracts. We would have to do a transfer in order to combine the points, but it also makes it hard to ever screw up and use the wrong points when booking. We use our AKV one year and then our VGF points the next year, and use 2 years of points from each contract.

We have a direct contract and a resale contract post 2019 under one membership. We can combine all points at 7 months at the legacy resorts, so CCV and older resorts. We can only select the direct contract when booking for RIV and VDL. We prefer this as we don't have to hassle with transferring of points to combine.

I hvae around 1000 direct points and 3000 resale points over 35 contracts all so.

All same UY. All appear on dashboard. I can see under My Vacation Points each contract allotment and where I am.

When I book, I can pick which contract I want to use.

So as long as its all EXACTLY the same, it will show.

We had a resale and direct with two different UYs. It was manageable just fine but. When we sold the resale with the different UY we put all of our current contracts (2 direct, 1 resale) in the same UY.

Ultimately when given the option, we elected to avoid the additional accounting of two UYs.

We have 2 resale and 5 direct contracts - all the same UY. It makes it easier to keep track of and simpler to combine points at 7 months.

When we bought our second resale contract (our first contract was resale), our broker (the company does all DVC resales) made sure (and we triple checked) all the details matched so those points went into the same member account. Just double and triple check the details.

We just added on VGC direct rather than resale because we knew finding the right contract with the right UY on the resale market was going to be hard. We really prefer the simplicity of the having 1 UY and 1 membership.

Lots of great advice above. I will share one thing that we honestly lucked into (but your mileage may vary). Over time we have amassed points at one resort (not sure why that was our strategy but that’s what we did). Flash forward two years ago, we wanted some more points at another resort we really like. What I am now finding is that I have far more flexibility in resort 1 with a lot of points versus resort 2 with now only 50. 50 points almost locks you in to banking and borrowing for any vacation of any size and certainly doesn’t do much more than a studio. While I love the option to consider resort 2 (and purchased sleep around points at resort 3), the resort 1 is so much easier to use at this point, even at the 7 months since we have points to toss around. We all buy resorts for different reasons but sometimes adding resale onto that direct to give you a lot more flexibility there (and potentially use that directs at future resorts) is something consider.

May i ask a similar but different question. Same as OP i have a direct contract, however we have 3 people on it. On the resale could we do with just two or would we need all 3 for the new contract as well to have it all come together. The reason we have 3 is that the 3rd person was a member already so we got a better deal on our first direct contract.

Welcome to add on itis hahaha. :yo-yo: Definity make sure you keep same UY when you purchase your resale or things will get complicated.

May i ask a similar but different question. Same as OP i have a direct contract, however we have 3 people on it. On the resale could we do with just two or would we need all 3 for the new contract as well to have it all come together. The reason we have 3 is that the 3rd person was a member already so we got a better deal on our first direct contract.
If only two of you own the new contract, that will create a new membership, which will complicate using the points together for a single reservation because it will be as if you’re two different owners. If you don’t plan to combine points and expect to use the new points completely separately from the original, it won’t matter.

To be the same membership, the owners have to be exactly the same (names match exactly from one deed to the other) AND the UY must be the same.

Is the third person truly an “owner” — ie do they access to the points, or did they just enable you to buy? If so, you could consider taking them off the title, which if they are willing (as they’d have to sign the title change) I believe is a gratuitous title change that can be done relatively easily. Then when you add in you can just add with the two of you.

I've got a question when it comes to a little to use your points for the same reservation with a resale and direct contract. We currently have a resale contract at PVB and a direct contract at RIV. We were looking to add on additional direct points when PVB opens up, but I'm second guessing and thinking adding on at RIV makes more sense. If we added on at PVB, can we use points from both the direct and resale contracts to book one reservation? My hunch is telling me no. Thanks for any advice.

I've got a question when it comes to a little to use your points for the same reservation with a resale and direct contract. We currently have a resale contract at PVB and a direct contract at RIV. We were looking to add on additional direct points when PVB opens up, but I'm second guessing and thinking adding on at RIV makes more sense. If we added on at PVB, can we use points from both the direct and resale contracts to book one reservation? My hunch is telling me no. Thanks for any advice.
Resale + Direct points for the same resort can be combined at the 11-month mark for a single reservation.

Resale PVB points purchased after changes a few years back could not be combined with your RIV points to book at RIV.

To answer this question so much depends on whether the new PVB is in the same association or not.

To sum it up quickly, resale points can NOT be used at RIV, CFW, or VDH regardless if they are combined with direct points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter