• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I think I’ve only had to pay for parking at hotels in large metropolitan areas (Chicago and St. Louis). I live in a city of 100,000 people. Not huge, but not tiny either. Know how many hotels here charge for parking? Zero.
The population of the metropolitan Orlando area is around 2.4 million people. That's an order of magnitude larger than your hometown. There's nothing that requires downtown hotels in large cities to charge for parking either... but they often do. Don't like it? Then you have the option to stay elsewhere, take a shuttle, or take a Uber/taxi.

I'm not saying that you have to be "happy" about the change, nor is it a move that I endorse, but I don't think it's an outrage either.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind this is to discourage guests from renting a car... having access to a car provides the freedom to go to offsite attractions, restaurants, shopping, other theme parks, etc. Relying solely on Disney transportation pretty much guarantees that 100% of a guest’s vacation money will be spent on disney property.

The negative reaction to that could be that the guests spends 100% of their money at non disney related areas now. It's a gamble disney is willing to take. I think they'll run off a few guests, but not enough for Iger to care.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I pay for parking at most hotels that I stay at these days.

New guests will probably think this was always in place. And how many people will actually cancel trips and not return for the marginal increase in cost?

Could be wrong, but I doubt this is an issue beyond social media for a little while.
True .. that is what Disney is banking on .. new guests not knowing any difference and old guests just shrugging their shoulders and getting used to the "new norm".

They are going to break the camel's back one of these days
I was thinking of extending my November vacation a day .. maybe I won't do that now because an extra night is another $20 or so out of my pocket (on top of the hotel rate). Or maybe I do go .. and now that $20 won't be spent on food or a silly souvenir .. instead it goes to have my car sit in a lot.

Sure .. other hotels charge for parking (usually only in downtown areas that have limited parking). It's like baggage fees -- airlines don't NEED to charge for baggage fees (they never did before), but once one airline did, they all started doing that (except Southwest). And so what do people do now? Bring oversized "carry-on" bags that don't fit into the overhead bins causing a backup getting on and off the airplane.

Fees just annoy people as they feel they are given the bait and switch. ("Oh look .. only $29.99 ... plus this fee .. and that fee .. and this fee . oh so the price is really $50? .. why didn't you just say that?"). It insults the consumer's intelligence.
I would rather see a $10/night raise in hotel rates than a $20/night parking fee.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/03/breaking-...charging-resort-guests-for-overnight-parking/

“Disney Vacation Club guests staying using their points would not have to pay for parking as part of a new membership perk.”

This quote from the article almost defies logic:

"These changes will not affect guests visiting resorts for dining, shopping, or otherwise. The paid parking is only for vehicles staying at the resorts overnight."

If true, let me get this straight - As a paying hotel guest, I pull into the lot to start my stay and have to pay $20-50/day for the privilege of parking. If that wasn't enough, I have to fight for a spot alongside day guests who AREN'T PAYING for the exact same thing! Imagine all the people paying for parking who have to lug their bags from the back of the lot because another family wanted to "visit" a resort for a few hours to walk around and get an ice cream cone - and they did it for free.

They see major $$$ coming with GE opening. It's a whole new level of guest for them who won't care what they charge for anything.

True .. that is what Disney is banking on .. new guests not knowing any difference and old guests just shrugging their shoulders and getting used to the "new norm".

They are going to break the camel's back one of these days
I’ve been hearing this on DIS for 13 years, every time Disney increases a price or makes a change some people don’t like (FP+ is the best example). And the company has been thriving.

Not saying that will NEVER happen, but I would bet anything that charging for parking won’t come close to doing it!

This quote from the article almost defies logic:

"These changes will not affect guests visiting resorts for dining, shopping, or otherwise. The paid parking is only for vehicles staying at the resorts overnight."

If true, let me get this straight - As a paying hotel guest, I pull into the lot to start my stay and have to pay $20-50/day for the privilege of parking. If that wasn't enough, I have to fight for a spot alongside day guests who AREN'T PAYING for the exact same thing! Imagine all the people paying for parking who have to lug their bags from the back of the lot because another family wanted to "visit" a resort for a few hours to walk around and get an ice cream cone - and they did it for free.
Not crazy.

Aulani:
3460FA05-08C5-4389-9611-F4E7E056940A.png

There are several resorts that charge for parking (and a resort fee) in Florida including the Swan and Dolphin. So, in the end people are okay with it and do pay it.

The swan and the dolphin are not the legit on site Disney Properties. I would expect to maybe have to pay there, but not at official Disney resorts. Either way, I can't wrap my mind around the fact that anyone would think its OK

This does not shock me. It is all perception. Rather than implementing a price hike on the hotel, add this as a semi-mandatory add on fee. When most guests evaluate where to stay, they are going to focus on room rates. Just as they implemented a price hike on their tickets. This is a price hike on their hotels but done in a way that does not change their room rates for all online search engines or shoppers who are comparing prices. IMHO, they are tired of seeing a lot of off site hotels appear to look significantly less than Disney by using mandatory fees.

Because the frequent Disney consumer is going to hate this, they probably will start with a relatively large bang on parking just to rip the Band-Aid off quickly rather that putting a small one out now and then remind frequent Disney consumers about this fee again when they raise it.

My hope is they are careful on how they open this up to non-guests. As frustrated as I am about having to pay the fee, I will be even more frustrated if I pay a lot of money to spend at a Disney resort to find out that parking is frequently full and just finding a place for my car is a total nightmare.

Finally they can then easily role this back in special promotions in the future with "Book Now and we will waive your parking fees!!!"

Believe me, they will hike the hotels also in the end to make even more. Natural progression

I personally don't see it changing a whole lot in the end, the resorts are already booked so solid anymore and in the end it will make more that rent a car not rent a car.

The swan and the dolphin are not the legit on site Disney Properties. I would expect to maybe have to pay there, but not at official Disney resorts. Either way, I can't wrap my mind around the fact that anyone would think its OK
This is ONLY because that’s what you’re used to.

This too shall pass. For Disney and the vast majority of guests.

I also read that if you already have an existing reservation made before March 21 the parking fee does not apply. I hope that is true.

The parking fee does not affect people who fly to Disney because most will use the Magical Express and all who fly will have that option. So I think they are saying the parking fee in Aulani doesn't matter because everyone is flying there. This is a much bigger deal for those who drive to WDW, especially from a long distance to save money.

Yeah I don’t think it will affect DVC. I just mean in general I (and other DVC owners on the disboards) feel Disney has prioritized once in a lifetime trips or those with wealth over those of us who travel multiple times a year which are typically AP holders, DVC owners and disboards members.
I TOTALLY agree with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter