Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I'm guessing the parking fees will stay but will be waived with the purchase of a 3 day minimum package.

I’m not sure they would do that, and if they did, I’m not sure how id feel about it.

I see that as a compromise, and I could maybe be ok with that, maybe. I will say that we very rarely stay for less than 3 days, in fact in the past we’ve had Annual Passes and we went down for a short weekend trip, we’ve just sucked it up and stayed offsite to get a cheaper hotel room. I actually have a hard time justifying a weekend trip to Disney without Annual Passes, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me financially. A one or two day park ticket is outrageous. We did it for my wife’s 40th birthday in December for an adults only trip, but it was a special occasion for us and it cost us a lot of money.

The issue I see here with Disney is that if we give them an inch, they take a mile. If we compromise on 3 days, then in the near future that price will increase and the number of minimum days will increase as well.

I’m not sure they would do that, and if they did, I’m not sure how id feel about it.

I see that as a compromise, and I could maybe be ok with that, maybe. I will say that we very rarely stay for less than 3 days, in fact in the past we’ve had Annual Passes and we went down for a short weekend trip, we’ve just sucked it up and stayed offsite to get a cheaper hotel room. I actually have a hard time justifying a weekend trip to Disney without Annual Passes, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me financially. A one or two day park ticket is outrageous. We did it for my wife’s 40th birthday in December for an adults only trip, but it was a special occasion for us and it cost us a lot of money.

The issue I see here with Disney is that if we give them an inch, they take a mile. If we compromise on 3 days, then in the near future that price will increase and the number of minimum days will increase as well.
Unfortunately, the current corporate culture is let's increase revenue strictly by increasing fees/prices. Toys R Us tried that. Look where that got them.

1000x this. This is what Disney was for me - a magic fantasy that was an escape. And yes, ever since our trip in 2015, I have been seeing so many negative changes that have been breaking that fantasy. But... I still wanted to go back. In December, I planned a trip for the kids and I (and MIL), but honestly, over the last couple months, between the stories of all the cutbacks, ride breakdowns, the possibility of intentional crowd building, yet another price increase, along with the news of the tiering to come, the fiasco over how they treated their employees with the bonus, and now this.... I decided last night that we're not going to go back. We're going to cancel our trip. Which is huge. Anyone who followed my planning knows how much I wanted this November trip. To experience Disney at Christmas was always one of my dreams. But... honestly, I'm at the point of, "meh". What really helps is, when I was trying to do some planning, my son just kept saying, "Mom, I'd rather do something new."

I agree. I used to feel special. Now its all about tiers. If u pay more u get this, if u pay more and more you get this.. cant help feeling like a sucker now.

I do know the DVC member page on Facebook doesn’t seem to worry about it or care. But that’s usually par the course for, I think, could be wrong, for most DVC members.

But I will say that the hotels like pop, art of animation aren’t worth their price.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. There is a thread dedicated to this on the DIS DVC page and I (like many other DVC members) have contacted Disney about this charge even though we are exempt from it when staying on a points reservation. Now I'm sure a lot of DVC members are indifferent specifically because it won't affect them. But some (like me) are just unhappy with the cash grab and other recent cutbacks/price increases.

I'm sorry to ask this again, but I still haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

Does anyone know if with will affect the Ft. Wilderness CABINS? Since Ft. Wilderness technically doesn't fit into any of the resort categories and campsites are exempt, I'm not sure what this means for the cabins. We will have 2 vehicles so I went ahead and made our reservation, saving us potentially $300, but I really would have liked to wait.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. There is a thread dedicated to this on the DIS DVC page and I (like many other DVC members) have contacted Disney about this charge even though we are exempt from it when staying on a points reservation. Now I'm sure a lot of DVC members are indifferent specifically because it won't affect them. But some (like me) are just unhappy with the cash grab and other recent cutbacks/price increases.
True, On this forum DVC members are more upset about it than other places. I was just stating what I saw. I know my family , DVC members as well, are kinda meh about it. Don’t really care strongly about it either way.

Also I’ve never seen Disney as they can do no wrong, they’re a company out to make money. They’re no different than any other large amusement park. Whether people support them or not, it’s up those individuals. Like I personally don’t think universal is worth spending more than one day there. Too much movie screen watching rides for my liking. But I won’t tell people not to go there...

Last edited:
How would the resort know who has a car and who does not?

At other hotels/resorts I have been to where you have to pay for parking or where they only want guests staying at the resort to use the parking they give out a parking pass you have to have from your rear view mirror or put on your dashboard or something. Assuming they could do something similar

Then day guests wouldn't have this so they could track how long those cars have been in the lot or check if any are there overnight and then leave a note or tow it or put a boot on it or something

Unfortunately, the current corporate culture is let's increase revenue strictly by increasing fees/prices. Toys R Us tried that. Look where that got them.

I understand what Disney is doing, but there is a fine line corporate America has to walk, right now Disney is on the winning side, but if the fees continue, they run the risk of alienating their customer base. If a perception of greed sets in, I don’t think that’s good for Disney. But what do I know, Disney’s consumer is showing us they are willing to just pay the extra fees. Disney hasn’t come close to being considered “greedy” by the majority of its customer base yet. At this point, I’m not sure they ever will, apparently the pixie dust prevents that from happening.

I'm sorry to ask this again, but I still haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

Does anyone know if with will affect the Ft. Wilderness CABINS? Since Ft. Wilderness technically doesn't fit into any of the resort categories and campsites are exempt, I'm not sure what this means for the cabins. We will have 2 vehicles so I went ahead and made our reservation, saving us potentially $300, but I really would have liked to wait.

It sounds like cabins will be charged and the only exclusion may be the campsites...here's what it says on the main parking page:

"Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle."

If you go to website and look under the amenities tab for the cabins, it mentions it...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/services-amenities/

ETA: seems a bit much considering that the cabins have a parking space right next to them, yes?

Anyway, the reason I forgot these critical follow-up questions is because - here comes my favorite part - she told me that if a day-guest is scanned and then later found to be there for “8 to 10 or 12” hours, they would charge their guest folio.
I wonder how they think they'll determine if a guest has a guest folio to be charged. Whenever I visit a resort for a meal, for example, I'm asked to show ID at the guard shack - the guard looks at it briefly, then waves me through. How would anyone at that resort be able to tell if my car was attached to a folio as an overnight guest or if I was just there to visit?! This whole "system" seems rather half-baked.

For me, it is how it just unfairly targets car drivers and charging for something that doesn't cost Disney anything.
I'm with you on that. Also, paying more at the Deluxe resorts, where historically I've never been able to park close to the building, is extra annoying to me. Walking half a mile from my car in the pouring rain is already irritating with free parking: paying $24 for that "privilege" would be downright angering.

That’s unclear but you do have to scan in at the gates of each resort in order to park. It seems they will have some type of system in place for this.
Nope, no need to scan anything - if you go through the guard shack side instead of the DIY gate, there is no scanning of anything. I'm not suggesting this as a way to get around the new rules; just pointing out that they don't currently have any way of actually implementing this other than a honor system. I'm very curious to see what people report from experiences after March 21!

At other hotels/resorts I have been to where you have to pay for parking or where they only want guests staying at the resort to use the parking they give out a parking pass you have to have from your rear view mirror or put on your dashboard or something. Assuming they could do something similar

Then day guests wouldn't have this so they could track how long those cars have been in the lot or check if any are there overnight and then leave a note or tow it or put a boot on it or something

I agree with this. Still kinda confused as to why a decision would be made to charge parking fee's to resort guests with car's, no charge's for resort guests without cars, to track day guest's that are not paying charge's to begin with.

Seems to me that they got it all backwards on who to charge for parking, or its just a very bad roll out of an idea that wasn't well thought out.

I agree with this. Still kinda confused as to why a decision would be made to charge parking fee's to resort guests with car's, no charge's for resort guests without cars, to track day guest's that are not paying charge's to begin with.

Seems to me that they got it all backwards on who to charge for parking, or its just a very bad roll out of an idea that wasn't well thought out.

I think they don't want to charge day guests as they want to encourage people that are local or whatever to come to the resorts to dine and shop, etc. .... and then a lot easier to just add this on to the room bill for those with a car vs having to set up toll booths at the entrances and exists to all the parking lots, etc.

It sounds like cabins will be charged and the only exclusion may be the campsites...here's what it says on the main parking page:

"Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle."

If you go to website and look under the amenities tab for the cabins, it mentions it...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/services-amenities/

ETA: seems a bit much considering that the cabins have a parking space right next to them, yes?

Exactly! It makes no sense! I'd be tempted to book a campsite for the first night just to get my car in and then leave it at the cabin...

In the old days, Disney did give you a paper parking pass to put on the dashboard.

So, if I am staying at POP Century and have paid the daily fee, what if I go over to the Poly for lunch at Captain Cooks where people have to pay more for parking? Will they still let me park for lunch and shopping as they do now?

In the old days, Disney did give you a paper parking pass to put on the dashboard.

So, if I am staying at POP Century and have paid the daily fee, what if I go over to the Poly for lunch at Captain Cooks where people have to pay more for parking? Will they still let me park for lunch and shopping as they do now?

unclear, but I assume you would just be treated as a "day guest" there and if there is room or if you have an ADR, etc. you would be able to park for free. Not sure what would happen if they feel the lot is "full" and not letting in any more day guests but you have paid to park at another resort. My guess is that they would say "you paid to park at Pop, not the Poly, so go back and park at Pop and take Disney transportation to get to the Poly"

True, On this forum DVC members are more upset about it than other places. I was just stating what I saw. I know my family , DVC members as well, are kinda meh about it. Don’t really care strongly about it either way.

Also I’ve never seen Disney as they can do no wrong, they’re a company out to make money. They’re no different than any other large amusement park. Whether people support them or not, it’s up those individuals. Like I personally don’t think universal is worth spending more than one day there. Too much movie screen watching rides for my liking. But I won’t tell people not to go there...

You're right, but that isn't a strong endorsement either. Many of us have been walking billboards for Disney encouraging others to go, posting pictures on social media, helping plans trips, etc. I would argue that is Disney's most effective marketing campaign. But who wants to be that person actively encouraging someone to visit a place that becomes a representation of big corporate greed?

unclear, but I assume you would just be treated as a "day guest" there and if there is room or if you have an ADR, etc. you would be able to park for free. Not sure what would happen if they feel the lot is "full" and not letting in any more day guests but you have paid to park at another resort. My guess is that they would say "you paid to park at Pop, not the Poly, so go back and park at Pop and take Disney transportation to get to the Poly"
Wouldn’t they just tell the person to park at TTC if poly was full. The parking at the parks are still free for onsite guests. There is not any hotel to hotel bus transportation. It’s would be easier for a lunch to just use the bus to MK and then resort monorail to Poly from Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter