• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Palo or Remy - is it a must?

I think the biggest reason I like Palo is the quiet. The MDR's are just so busy with background noise that Palo is a nice treat... Food that has taste is nice too! (We just find that everything in the MDR is bland, cilantro or fennel, flavours that get old fast).

I am another vote for doing Palo brunch!! We even squeezed it in on our last 3 night. We have done Palo dinner and will again on our next cruise, but we do like brunch better, we actually plan on booking it twice this summer :D

We did Pablo brunch and dinner on our first Wonder cruise to Alaska. Four cruises since then and we haven’t been back. The meals were wonderful, but we haven’t missed it. There is so much food already available and so many choices. And, it isn’t cheap.

I am embarking on a 4 night Dream cruise later this year, and I am on the fence about going to Palo on one of those nights (currently have reservations on night 4 for DH and myself, presumably while DS goes to the club). I booked it because from what I've read, it seems like everyone does Palo or Remy.

If you've done a 4 night cruise or shorter, are these extra dining experiences really all that worthwhile, or do you think it's not regrettable to not do it?
I think Palo dinner is worth it. Do it on the repeat night of one of your MDRs. You can't plan that in advance, but upon boarding & seeing your dining rotation, you can go to dining changes & have them change your Palo night, if needed.

I would also do Palo brunch, but that's less of a necessity in my book as the food isn't quite as good as at dinner.

I would only do Remy on a longer cruise.

As has been repeated often here, it all depends on your tastes and what you feel is important in dining. If you are a foodie and enjoy fine wines and gourmet food, then either Palo or especially Remy is an absolute must. Remy is comparable to a 3 star Michelin restaurant, a meal you won't soon forget and more of an experience. This is among the best meals you can have anywhere, much less on a cruise. We will book Remy every time we are on the larger ships, and Palo is a great (but lesser) replacement when on the classic ships. (We book both, even on a 3 night cruise). If you don't have an ardent interest in food, then, of course, skip these restaurants and have a great time in the MDRs. Although the ambience is more sophisticated (and quiet!) and therefore more enjoyable for adults in the signature restaurants, it is the food that is important here.

Try to eat Palo Brunch now. Haven't done dinner in awhile and would agree with a previous poster that Remy was one of the worst meals I have had on board. More the service, I think, then the food but I have had much better for the price.

We prefer Palo brunch. Dinner was nice but we liked the variety of the brunch. and once my mom ordered the suggested glass of wine (at dinner) and it was $70.00 per glass. She definately was finished with dinner after that. Have not done Remy but we are not foodies. any menu I have seen did not interest us.

We wouldn't miss dinner or brunch at both Palo and Remy. We never tried Palo or Remy until our first kid-free cruise on the Fantasy and absolutely love both venues. We do go to both for dinner even on a three day cruise. We always laugh about the first time we went to Remy and they brought out the first course and it was really small. My husband said, "well we can stop at Cabanas afterwards if we are still hungry". We weren't lol. Those little delicious portions add up and you are full when you leave. Can't wait to go to both Palo and Remy in April!

We haven't done the dinners, only the brunches at both Palo and Remy.

We prefer to do the MDR's since we want to be with our kids for dinner.

Out of the brunches we enjoyed Palo more than Remy. Both are different since Palo is a brunch buffet (but you can still order from a menu) where Remy is a seated selected course meal.

We did a 7-night and went to Palo. I'm a "foodie" and thought dinner was excellent. It is worth doing again (and we are thinking about it for our May 2018 cruise). However, if we didn't go to Palo or Remy on our next cruise, would I feel like I missed out on anything? Absolutely not. That is why it is not a must-do for us.

We're planning on only eating at Remy on our next 4 night cruise. After 8 cruises we've become very bored with the MDRs. We don't have kids though.

It really depends on your preferences and if it's your first cruise or not. We did a 4-day cruise for our first cruise (Wonder) and booked Palo. We really enjoyed it but had to miss Triton's. We've never been on the Wonder since so have now never had a chance to experience it and regret it. So for a first cruise, especially a short one, I wouldn't do it. Better to experience all of the MDRs.

Then it depends on what you like. We did a 3/4 B2B and did Palo on the 3 day and Remy on the 4 day. Last cruise was a 7-day and we did Palo dinner and brunch and Remy dinner, brunch and dessert experience. We happen to really like both but it's not a must do unless it's something that appeals to you.

We only do longer cruises and have never felt the need to do Palo. We greatly enjoy the food in the MDRs and don't see a need to shell out more money for the Palo experience. The menus are different every night and I don't think there's been one that I didn't find something I really liked.

The presentation and service at the dinner seating at Palo are well above what you get in the MDR, but I find the food lackluster (you can find better Italian food in any major city). On a four night cruise, I would not go out of my way to go there unless you are looking for a date/adult only night.

Likewise, I don't get the fuss about Palo brunch at all. The food is really nothing to write home about.

On the other hand, if you routinely have meals better than Remy, you eat very well indeed. It should not be compared to a three star Michelin restaurant (the level of creativity and service you find in that rarefied air is really in a whole different stratosphere than even the best restaurant on a cruise ship), but it is memorably good. If the price is not a deal-breaker and you were only going to do one "adult-only" meal, that's the one to do.

We have only done one cruise, and it was seven nights. We had one meal at Remy one night of the cruise. It is one of my most favorite memories! That said, I really enjoyed every meal I had in the MDR, and especially enjoyed each night's evening meal time with my children as I hardly saw my teenage boys at any other time during the cruise.

We have booked our second cruise for this fall; another 7 night. I will definitely be booking another meal at Remy since my husband and I enjoyed it so much. We loved the magnificent view over the water, particularly during sunset. All of our food was a work of art; I had to take pictures of each plate! The service throughout the ship is amazing, but Remy took it up one more notch! We just had the most romantic and lovely evening there. I am really excited to return this fall.

That said, eating out is one of our favorite things to do. We never eat anywhere as fancy as Remy, but we often like to eat out as our choice of activity on date night. If you enjoy a good meal and a special evening, then I would highly suggest eating there one night of your cruise even though it will only be for four nights. You will have such a nice time on the cruise that you will be booking another one for a future date anyway, so you can get whatever meal you missed in the MDR one night then!! :)

I will buck the prevailing sentiment and say don't do the Pali brunch. I just don't get the hype....lots of calories that I would rather use later in the day....I'm not big on the breads, cheeses, don't really like eggs. I think I ate fruit and maybe shrimp last time. The Palo dinners are nice but on a four day cruise, I wouldn't take the chance of missing one of the MDRs.

Wouldn't miss Palo dinner (or brunch) on any cruise. We've done 14 DCL cruises and absolutely love Palo on all the ships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter