Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Honest question: If your son/daughter is a freshman this upcoming year, doesn't that make them a class of 2019? There seems to be couple of different groups posting on here. Ones who have just finished their freshman year and those who are starting it in the fall.
No problem!

This thread began last year for those with a May/June 2018 graduation date and this entering college in Summer or Fall of 2019.

Right now they would be rising Sophomores for Aug/Sept.

Rising Freshman are Class of 2019.

Hope that helps!

I think our driver's ed is different. My dd recently turned 15 close to the end of the school year so next spring she can technically go for her permit the day she turns 16. After that she can do driver's ed which has nothing whatsoever to do with school. I believe there is a 2 hour mandatory parent child class then there is the classroom portion, passenger in the car with another driver, and student driver hours plus parents have to sign off that the child has completed x amount of hours outside of drivers ed. Once these are complete a license can be obtained at 16.5.

This summer dd is volunteering at a museum which has a highly competitive teen summer volunteer program. She just started this week and loves it. Other summer fun is a group figure skating session which includes lessons and volunteer instruction with younger kids. She is also doing piano/voice lessons. She is also helping out at her sister's soccer camp which gives community service hours. We don't have a big vacation planned but will go away for a family cabin camping weekend and we do other small things - we went to Great Wolf Lodge for a night etc. We also take advantage of living near Boston. For example DD15 and I did a Boston North End tour including trying 3 slices of pizza and visiting places like Paul Revere House and Old North Church (done it all before but the tour was fun).

DD & I were in Boston last week and also did a walking tour of the north end, and a trolley tour around the city. it was fun :) She had never been, so asked to see Boston for a day while we were in the area. the weather was beautiful!! i enjoyed the break from 95+ here

the driving rules state to state are interesting. DD got her permit a month or two ago. in NC, students need to be at least 15, take 30 hours classroom, 6 hours behind the wheel to get the permit; and then have the permit for a year before getting a license. there's restricted levels across permit and license also.

DD's about a month into summer vacation and it feels like it's flying by. lots of travel already and more to come - a bunch is visiting family & friends, but also have a WDW trip with family later in the summer.

Honest question: If your son/daughter is a freshman this upcoming year, doesn't that make them a class of 2019? There seems to be couple of different groups posting on here. Ones who have just finished their freshman year and those who are starting it in the fall.

I think it's because this thread was started over a year ago. Any posts that say their child is going to be a freshman were probably posted last summer. I'm pretty sure everyone here has a child graduating in 2018 and just finished their freshman year.

At dd's school all Sophomores and Juniors take the PSAT on a school day in October. Seniors use that day to do things like take CPR, work on college applications etc. Freshman all go on a college tour which makes it easier since many classes are mixed grades and that leaves more teachers to proctor exams.

In 6th grade dd's grade (two classes) went on a tour of Harvard. The summer between 8th grade and high school dd did a free freshman orientation type camp. It included visits to 2 colleges (also in the Boston area). Over our April break we visited Brown University and did the official tour. We went more to visit my nephew who attends there but my sisinlaw signed us up for a tour. When we went to Great Wolf Lodge we were signed up to do a college tour in the area but mostly because we were going to be there - we ended up not doing it due to the rain. DD has also visited schools like UNH and URI due to having cousins attending at the time.

Here gym is 1.5 semesters and health is 1 semester. They are both 5 days a week most of the time (we have a strange rotating schedule). You can only get out of gym if you take gym/health in the same year that you do two official fall/winter or spring sports. Gym and health can't be done online or over the summer etc. DD did two semesters of gym. She may take gym and health senior year unless accounting 2 honors ends up cancelled due to the budget.

I think our driver's ed is different. My dd recently turned 15 close to the end of the school year so next spring she can technically go for her permit the day she turns 16. After that she can do driver's ed which has nothing whatsoever to do with school. I believe there is a 2 hour mandatory parent child class then there is the classroom portion, passenger in the car with another driver, and student driver hours plus parents have to sign off that the child has completed x amount of hours outside of drivers ed. Once these are complete a license can be obtained at 16.5.

This summer dd is volunteering at a museum which has a highly competitive teen summer volunteer program. She just started this week and loves it. Other summer fun is a group figure skating session which includes lessons and volunteer instruction with younger kids. She is also doing piano/voice lessons. She is also helping out at her sister's soccer camp which gives community service hours. We don't have a big vacation planned but will go away for a family cabin camping weekend and we do other small things - we went to Great Wolf Lodge for a night etc. We also take advantage of living near Boston. For example DD15 and I did a Boston North End tour including trying 3 slices of pizza and visiting places like Paul Revere House and Old North Church (done it all before but the tour was fun).

That's really cool.
We live close to NYC, just a few miles away and we so very rarely go. Boston I'd head into if I lived close, I love it(DC, too!). NY I only go in for B'way shows and Yankee games.
We're going to Hilton Head, SC in a couple of weeks. can't wait-so relaxing and beautiful there.

Julia ended up getting that summer rec counselor job after all, so she's working 9-4 every day started 2 days after school ended and ends 8/4. She's with 5 and 6 year olds and loves it.
She had cheering tryouts the day after school ended and made varsity. She's so so so happy! And so am I, for her!!
Anyway, cheering started this week, nothing major until August, she has conditioning one night a week and practice one night a week through in July. Off a full 10 days and then it starts up. She on the high school dance team, which has a camp in August. I'm not really sure how that's going to work. The dance team coach knows that cheering is her first priority and is good with that, so I guess she'll fit it in somehow.
She's also volunteering as an assistant coach for junior football cheering, she has the 5th and 6th graders there. That starts in August as well, so she'll be kept busy.

I'm hoping to go down the shore at least one day with her and my son and some friends that week between rec ending and all day cheering beginning.

I got the football schedule last night and she's missing the last regular season game for our mother/daughter trip to WDW for her 16th birthday, whoops!

Other than that, nothing much school wise. She has to keep a journal about major events going on(gay marriage vote, Greece financial crisis etc.) Has to read a fiction and non fiction(picked To Kill a Mockingbird and Outliers) for Lit, math packet for Alg 2 is done. Some other reading, I forget exactly what it is.
I don't want to think about school too much, because when they go back, I have to go back. ;)

I think it's because this thread was started over a year ago. Any posts that say their child is going to be a freshman were probably posted last summer. I'm pretty sure everyone here has a child graduating in 2018 and just finished their freshman year.
Ha! Thank you. I must have spaced over the fact that these posts grow over time.

No problem!

This thread began last year for those with a May/June 2018 graduation date and this entering college in Summer or Fall of 2019.

Right now they would be rising Sophomores for Aug/Sept.

Rising Freshman are Class of 2019.

Hope that helps!
Thank you! I missed the original posting dates.

Checking in to see how summer is going. Some days it seems like it is flying by, others is dragging. Our first day is September 3rd. The school just posted schedules will be available August 26th after 3:00 pm. Crazy. My son is just dying to know his schedule and who is in his classes. He has worked a few weekends at the farm for their festivals. There is a blueberry fest this coming weekend and next, and then may not work again until mid September when the apple festivals start. They have huge Halloween hay rides and other events that he may work as well. He was hoping to work a little more during the week. I think that is when the days would seem to drag. We had a great 11 day vacation to Disney and he was able to go to the beach a few days here and there with friends. He has made it a point to binge watch Grey's Anatomy this summer. :rolleyes: I keep reminding him he needs to pick up that summer reading book and get working on that. :rolleyes1

This weekend we walked around two colleges near by :sad:- Villanova Univesity and St. Joseph's University. He really liked Villanova. I just was in total denial that it was even something that we were doing, but admit that it was kinda fun. Only because they are about 45 minutes away! :thumbsup2 We were able to walk through a few buildings at each school. He asked if we can keep doing it just to get a feel for them. He mentioned Penn State and when we were looking at how many students, about died when I told him it was over 40k. :eek::crowded: So who knows, maybe we will head out there for a visit.

Hope everyone else is having a great summer!!

My Class of 2018 DD is refusing to go on any college trips with my eldest DD who's a Senior.

dcvfamily14801 - you're lucky that your son is willing to go now. Just wait till you hear about the tuition on some other colleges, ie. UPenn & Drexel are at $60,000 plus!

Checking in to see how summer is going. Some days it seems like it is flying by, others is dragging. Our first day is September 3rd. The school just posted schedules will be available August 26th after 3:00 pm. Crazy. My son is just dying to know his schedule and who is in his classes. He has worked a few weekends at the farm for their festivals. There is a blueberry fest this coming weekend and next, and then may not work again until mid September when the apple festivals start. They have huge Halloween hay rides and other events that he may work as well. He was hoping to work a little more during the week. I think that is when the days would seem to drag. We had a great 11 day vacation to Disney and he was able to go to the beach a few days here and there with friends. He has made it a point to binge watch Grey's Anatomy this summer. :rolleyes: I keep reminding him he needs to pick up that summer reading book and get working on that. :rolleyes1

This weekend we walked around two colleges near by :sad:- Villanova Univesity and St. Joseph's University. He really liked Villanova. I just was in total denial that it was even something that we were doing, but admit that it was kinda fun. Only because they are about 45 minutes away! :thumbsup2 We were able to walk through a few buildings at each school. He asked if we can keep doing it just to get a feel for them. He mentioned Penn State and when we were looking at how many students, about died when I told him it was over 40k. :eek::crowded: So who knows, maybe we will head out there for a visit.

Hope everyone else is having a great summer!!
Lisa, just narrowing down college choices so they know where to apply is so incredibly overwhelming to me! Julia does have a major picked, so she can eliminate some places, but there's still SO MANY choices.

Summer camp ended today, so Julia's done with work.
I saw the dad of the girl she tutored last school year and he asked if she was available this year, which is good. Pick up a few extra dollars.

No schedules here yet. I'm more concerned about Matthew's 8th grade schedule, than Julia's. I'm really hoping for a specific Physics teacher for him, and hoping he gets a good lunch period.
The high school only has one lunch period, so no stress about that for Julia. LOL

I am concerned she has too much on her plate with her course load and her extracurriculars, but I guess we shall see.

We can see our twins' schedule using a slightly back door method in their on-line access. If you go to attendance bar, and click on any date in the various trimesters, the schedule pops up. DD's is completely populated at this point (meaning she has an assignment for every hour) while DS's is still waiting an assignment for Honors Language Arts. DS's schedule looks so daunting to me...we are going to have to have a discussion about it I think. He has a zero hour class (meaning he starts an hour before regular school at 7:00....ack), then AP World History, AP Chemistry, German 2, AP Calculus, and Honors Language Arts. Ugh. He also has Choir (not so hard, of course, but requires a lot of practice). His zero hour class is another singing group (show choir....dancing, etc with singing). I'm wondering about dropping him into regular World History.

We can see our twins' schedule using a slightly back door method in their on-line access. If you go to attendance bar, and click on any date in the various trimesters, the schedule pops up. DD's is completely populated at this point (meaning she has an assignment for every hour) while DS's is still waiting an assignment for Honors Language Arts. DS's schedule looks so daunting to me...we are going to have to have a discussion about it I think. He has a zero hour class (meaning he starts an hour before regular school at 7:00....ack), then AP World History, AP Chemistry, German 2, AP Calculus, and Honors Language Arts. Ugh. He also has Choir (not so hard, of course, but requires a lot of practice). His zero hour class is another singing group (show choir....dancing, etc with singing). I'm wondering about dropping him into regular World History.
Do they have an honors course, something in between regular and AP that he could take?

School starts next Thursday. DD has her schedule but its missing one period. The funny thing is she is missing an English Theatre arts elective class that she applied to and accepted for. Of course the guidance counselor never mailed back. Hopefully if there is a real issue dd will replace it with gym/health to finish those requirements. DD is waiting to learn more about the high school figure skating club that may be starting. DD finishes her summer museum volunteer program on Sunday and has loved it.

Checked in late now that my eldest is a sophomore..but last year was bittersweet, I wonder where did the years go she is already a freshman..I am not ready to let her go..although right now she is so moody , sullen and hardly wants to talk to me....:rotfl2:

DD started yesterday and can't wait for the weekend already...lol

Teachers seem nice though the AP World History teacher seems strict according to DD anyway. I think the year will be fine since she is settled in and knows the school.

DD started yesterday and can't wait for the weekend already...lol

Teachers seem nice though the AP World History teacher seems strict according to DD anyway. I think the year will be fine since she is settled in and knows the school.

Definitely looking forward to the weekend!! Hoping the heavy homework during this first week of school is not indicative of what mine is in for this year! Nothing like insta-transition from summer mode to student

DDs start their sophomore year on Monday. I think they are in for a rude awakening. This summer has been filled with a lot of sleeping and sitting on the couch watching Netflix. It has also been filled with sports camps, a long family vacation, friends, staying up late, preseason field hockey and a bunch of volunteer work (they are required to do 100 hours of community service during high school as part of the honors program). They are completely unprepared for what's in store, and I am not looking forward to living with them for the next few weeks.

DD15 (just turned 15 yesterday) is playing field hockey for the first time this year. She tells me "she doesn't suck," which is good. There is a ton of drama on the Varsity team, so I think it is a great thing that she is on JV. Because she is a new player, she has nothing to lose by working hard, asking questions, and being out there to have fun. I love that our school does not make cuts from its sports teams.

DD15 (turns 16 next week) was told recently that her vision problems will keep her from driving. Most of her friends have gotten their drivers permits and are taking drivers ed this year, but she won't be able to. She is pretty bummed about it, but she is handling it well. She is probably the strongest person I have ever met.

Wishing us all the best of luck for sophomore year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter