Parents traveling with younger ones for the first time...

KaitlinsMom

DIS Veteran
One our first (and only) Disney Cruise - our then 4 year was really acting up almost as soon as she got on the ship~! She was driving me and my husband crazy! It was really out of character for her - We live by Disneyland, so it's not like Disney and all it's wonder is all that new to her. So we went to the buffet to eat, and she didn't want to eat, so we sat down - then she did want to eat - then she wanted to sit a another table - etc........

I finally looked at the family sitting next to us and made a comment to the mom, something like "oh what a long day this has been already!" She looked at me with a smile and said "you know, this ship can be overwhelming for little ones for the first time - Never seeing a boat this big and then being on one - tends to be overwhelming"

Then I thought - GOSH - she's right - So I took a totally different attitude with my 4 year old then - Starting explaining all about the ship (I was before, I just would do more detail)We showed her all around and pointed things out to her - It helped her adjust a great deal - answered all her questions (OK, well most anyways) Basically, just gave her time to adjust

Just wanted to point this out to any parents that might be clueless like me!

This could have been posted by me!

I totally agree the ship and all the characters and the whole Disney experience can be completely overwhelming for toddlers! Our daughter was 3 on our first cruise. She behaved exactly as you describe! Wouldn't do this - wanted to do that - then wouldn't do that, followed by tears, tantrums and scenes!

Our normally charming, well-behaved, infinitely shy and absolutely cute daughter must have appeared a real nightmare to some! However at the end of the day in the calm of our room it was always clear that she was truly enjoying herself! We also tried your strategy of infinite patience and explaining everything - and it partly worked - but at the end of the day the experience is just very intense for the very young.

However I don't regret it for a moment. Several months later our daughter still talks wistfully and lovingly about the "Disney boat" - and that must mean quite a lot at that age. I have a Glenn DeLaunne video of the Wonder on my laptop - and she almost daily asks me to play it.

I entirely agree - the experience may be very intense - but even at the youngest age - they love and thrive on it.

Best wishes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter