Passenger counts this week?

This forum is specifically themed to Disney vacations. If you want to discuss current events and argue politics, there are sites for that.
Yes, that's why we don't discuss politics on this forum. Current events have an impact on passenger counts so I think it's relevant as long as you don't go down the rabbit hole with it.

Not on this forum. :)
Well, with all the vacation travel that is being banned by the conflict, I think it will very soon be a major topic on this forum.

Well, with all the vacation travel that is being banned by the conflict, I think it will very soon be a major topic on this forum.
I've had my Baltic cruise canceled the last two years because of Covid and it looks like this year that itinerary is not happening. The cancellations have all been due to "current events". It's hard to separate travel from what's going on in the world. They are intertwined.

I love cruising and would love to see the industry recover and return to profitability. In order for that to happen demand has to increase. Unfortunately, they keep facing headwinds. I don't see demand improving in the short term, hopefully, I'm wrong.

See, I didn't feel any of that when I went as a family of 6. There were no restrictions on kids club times, they could spend as much time in there as they wanted. The kids also spent far less time waiting in line for the Aquaduck, were able to actually do the Goofy Sports Simulator, saw every movie and theater show we wanted to, and found plenty to do with the current offerings to the point we didn't do anywhere near everything we wanted to on a 4 day cruise. That said, we were never much on the excursions, so having reduced offerings at Nassau and Castaway Cay really didn't impact us any.

As you say, locally, I can see why people may be cancelling. They're in Florida, where masking isn't as standard as in other parts of the country, so I can see how that's a turn off. They also have the beach on a daily basis, so warm weather and a beach isn't an attraction in and of itself to Florida residents where it is to much of the rest of the US. In the end, I'm not saying DCL fills up to capacity over Spring Break. Though to do so it just sounds like they need 2,000 more people per sailing for the month, which is a relatively small number when you consider typical Spring Break numbers.

When did you cruise that this was the case? 🤔 In December my son couldn’t even get in the OC once, and they were absolutely enforcing the 1.5- or 2.5-hour reservations in kids clubs. We get on this weekend and we’re under the impression that hasn’t changed, and won’t any time soon. I’d love for that information to be wrong!

On the Fantasy now and was told by 2 different crew members about 2060 passengers.

lol. I was on the same cruise and our head dining room server told us the exact same number, 2060. We were also told that dcl was going to start increasing capacity to 3000. Also the cast members were actually allowed to go ashore this cruise for the first time in months, but only if they had their booster. Seems some new ones hadn’t gotten the booster and they were deemed medically unfit to leave the ship. We will be on the April 23rd cruise with the grandkids. Also there were a ton of kids on this cruise. This was our third cruise since cruising started back.

lol. I was on the same cruise and our head dining room server told us the exact same number, 2060. We were also told that dcl was going to start increasing capacity to 3000. Also the cast members were actually allowed to go ashore this cruise for the first time in months, but only if they had their booster. Seems some new ones hadn’t gotten the booster and they were deemed medically unfit to leave the ship. We will be on the April 23rd cruise with the grandkids. Also there were a ton of kids on this cruise. This was our third cruise since cruising started back.
2060 is only about 60% capacity.

When did you cruise that this was the case? 🤔 In December my son couldn’t even get in the OC once, and they were absolutely enforcing the 1.5- or 2.5-hour reservations in kids clubs. We get on this weekend and we’re under the impression that hasn’t changed, and won’t any time soon. I’d love for that information to be wrong!

Just announced that reservations are no longer required for kids clubs:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...J7BvDoSqlxuzBylsnZVb8xwJhGLVcLmiU3dNnFtPLcpVc

On the Dream March 4-7 and the passenger count shared by several crew members was 2,100.

It felt much busier than our 1,100 passenger sailing on the Dream back in the fall! :)

I know what you mean, our September cruise was 900 guest, while our February cruise was 2000. By 10am you couldn’t get a lounger in satellite falls or any of the areas around there. There is no social distancing of loungers either. It was packed. Plus long lines to get in the family pools too. This was on sea days and we had 3 sea Days. All the tables around us during dining were filled too.

I know what you mean, our September cruise was 900 guest, while our February cruise was 2000. By 10am you couldn’t get a lounger in satellite falls or any of the areas around there. There is no social distancing of loungers either. It was packed. Plus long lines to get in the family pools too. This was on sea days and we had 3 sea Days. All the tables around us during dining were filled too.

Yeah I'm not sure how we ever cruised on full ships ;)

Yeah I'm not sure how we ever cruised on full ships ;)
Well pre-Covid the ships never really sailed at 100% occupancy since staterooms often have fewer guests than the room sleeps. The total ship’s maximum guest count assumes every sleeping space is occupied, but if a couple is sailing in a room that sleeps 4, then only 50% of that room is occupied.

There are 1,250 rooms on the dream. So even in pre-Covid times if every room was occupied, you most likely would not have anywhere near the 4,000 maximum occupancy. People think of Disney as a family line, but lot of rooms sail with just two guests, not just couples traveling alone, but grandparents traveling with a larger family group, or parents in a room alone with kids in a connecting room.

The total ship’s maximum guest count assumes every sleeping space is occupied
That's not exactly true. DCL has more "beds" than max capacity to allow for flexibility of booking families. Max capacity is determined by lifeboat/life-raft spots as assigned by stateroom. That's why sometimes you can't add another guest to your stateroom even though there are enough beds but the lifeboat is full. Or there might be a room with 5 guests and the room next door goes unused even though the cruise is sold-out because the lifeboat assigned to that section is full with 3+ guests in multiple rooms.

You are correct that pre-covid every cruise was not necessarily maxed out by passenger count. If every stateroom only has 2 passengers, the cruise is "full" but not by number of bodies only by number of rooms booked; this was common on the longer TA or PC cruises that would sell-out but not at max passenger capacity. Then there are also capacities for each of the kids' spaces, and occasionally one may find they can't book a specific cruise because the max number of children in an age group are already booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter