Patagonia/Antarctica Christmas 2022

Just wrapped up Christmas dinner. Today after Niko Harbour we sailed to Paradise Bay. There we saw a colony of Gentoo penguins, my family’s favorite now, nesting along an abandoned Argentinian research base. Then we hiked up a mountain side and sledded down the mountain side. We actually went sledding in Antarctica! Afterwards, the crew took us on a surprise zodiac cruise where hiding behind an iceberg was Santa.

We had a lovely Christmas dinner which was pleasantly interrupted by a massive 11 member orca pod which we stalked for 15 minutes or so. The whale expert on the ship was so mesmerized she started crying. The moment was also very moving for my 10 y/o dd. Hannah got a great iPhone shot of a baby calf surfacing with her mother we assume. She left inspired.

Going to bed early because tomorrow’s scenery is a can’t miss according to our captain. 6 am passage through Lemaire Channel, exploring Port Charcot, then sailing to a Ukrainian research station, Station Vernadski.

Later on I am happy to address questions like what I wish I would have packed, the electric situation, food, sea sickness and any others people may wonder about. Feel free to ask.

Just wrapped up Christmas dinner. Today after Niko Harbour we sailed to Paradise Bay. There we saw a colony of Gentoo penguins, my family’s favorite now, nesting along an abandoned Argentinian research base. Then we hiked up a mountain side and sledded down the mountain side. We actually went sledding in Antarctica! Afterwards, the crew took us on a surprise zodiac cruise where hiding behind an iceberg was Santa.

We had a lovely Christmas dinner which was pleasantly interrupted by a massive 11 member orca pod which we stalked for 15 minutes or so. The whale expert on the ship was so mesmerized she started crying. The moment was also very moving for my 10 y/o dd. Hannah got a great iPhone shot of a baby calf surfacing with her mother we assume. She left inspired.

Going to bed early because tomorrow’s scenery is a can’t miss according to our captain. 6 am passage through Lemaire Channel, exploring Port Charcot, then sailing to a Ukrainian research station, Station Vernadski.

Later on I am happy to address questions like what I wish I would have packed, the electric situation, food, sea sickness and any others people may wonder about. Feel free to ask.
Sounds like a fabulous Christmas!

Sayhello

I wanted to spend a little time describing day 3, the Drake Passage. Day 2 we boarded the ship and normally it stays on dock in Ushuaia and the day is spent in Patagonia. In the evening briefing the captain showed us weather maps they study and explained his reasoning for leaving the night of day 2 instead of 24 hours later, which would have put our first Antarctic expedition Christmas Eve, day 5 of the adventure, day 4 on the ship. He described the passage pretty much as a pretty calm Drake Lake. Despite the calm seas, there is still more movement on a little ship compared to DCL.

Like I mentioned before, I have gotten sea sick twice on DCL. The sea wasn’t as bad as those two days but I do tend to get sea sick. My wife and kids have never before gotten sea sick. My youngest on the last quarter of the Drake Passage did have a bit of an upset stomach/ nausea.

I would estimate 15-20% of the guests were down for the Drake Lake.

As far as the day is concerned, there were several required lectures regarding Antarctica regulations, boot fitting, and parka fitting. The ABD guides had water bottle decorating and a scavenger hunt where once you found the location, you had to smell the scent and identify the WDW hotel, attraction or food.

The captain gave us a little pixie dust and invited my kids along with two others for a tour of the command room. He showed my kids the instruments and all the maps and data they analyze. He even let each kid sit in his chair and “steer” the ship (it was on auto-pilot).

In the evening there is a Disney movie playing. This evening was Shang Chi.

I ran on the treadmill which was an experience within itself. Then our family played some cards. Dinner is around 7pm for everyone after the nightly briefing. At 9pm the Ponant dancers performed a little show for us.

The next half day there was another lecture on decontamination and the importance of the fragile Antarctica ecosystem if something invasive was introduced. We then had to take any outer garments and make sure they were bio safe. By the Antarctic treaty we had to sign that we carefully inspected any clothing, vacuuming all clothing worn on land at any other continent.

Then around lunch time of day 4 of the adventure, day 3 on the boat we saw Antarctica!

I’ll write a separate thread on food here on Ponant and compare it to DCL later.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 26- Port Charcot and Station Vernadski of the Argentine Islands

Another great day in Antarctica. The captain encouraged us to get up early so we could watch the ship pass through the Lemaire Chanel. It was totally worth it! We saw some whales and saw a leopard seal swimming besides the boat against the bright blue of a submerged iceberg. The Lemaire has a narrow passage with sheer rock faces.

This morning we went out at 8:30 to hike up a decent 300 foot climb in the snow to Port Charcot. We got some amazing views at the top where we got to watch a humpback whale and several seals. We also watched a medium size portion of a glacier calve. I think that is the term. It is crazy how many penguins we have seen. We have seen 100s if not 1000s every day. I got a good video of a penguin sliding down a hill on its belly.

Before lunch, we had a family match of phase 10. Then we had a nice little lunch in the ship.

We then took off for the Argentine Islands and the Ukrainian research station Vernadski. The crew took us on a zodiac cruise where we saw 8 weddell seals just laying around. Of course there were plenty of penguins. We took a little hike to Wordie House, an old Bristish research base.

I will say, being in shape is helpful. While most of the hikes on the expeditions are under a mile, they are not your typical one mile hike. The hikes are never really flat and you can easily sink in the snow. Our 10 year old has been a trooper but the expeditions do tire her. I have used my Apple Watch to track distance and elevation gained.

Tonight was dinner for the junior adventures. My wife and I took the chance to watch the scenery pass as we just watched wildlife for as the ship went back through the Lemaire Chanel.

After dinner, the entertainment was provided by Ponant. The dancers did an incredible show for us. Now it is time for bed. While there are some activities after 9-10pm, my family has found what works best for us is to go to bed early and rise early.

December 27- we had a morning expedition to Dorian Bay. The temperatures are in the 40s and I am being to come to the conclusion, we way over packed for the weather. I haven’t even used any of my wool base layers. Of course we are told the weather can change on a dime but we have gotten super lucky with weather. Four expedition days and three have been sunny and in the 40s. Christmas was a bit over cast with a light snow in the 30s.

This morning may have have been our best day thus far. The water in the bay was calm and crystal clear. We got to see penguins swimming in the bay and several came right besides us in the zodiac. Penguins are so graceful and fast in the water. We took a mile hike to a hill top and looked over a British base. We got to take pictures of Momma’s peak and the seven daughters. The hike was considered “easy” but the snow was tricky in some parts. We saw a few people sink knee to waist deep. A few of our fellow adventurers lost their boot in the snow and they had to be dug out.

I don’t think watching penguins swim or waddle on land will get old.

We are now on our way to Danco island. On our way we spotted a few more orcas.

Afternoon excursion was at Danco Island. We did a 0.6 mile 500 foot climb to the top. Views were amazing! Another sunny day in the 40s with no wind. Our trail set by our expedition guides did cross a few penguin highways. Those are always cool because penguins are so stinking cute when they waddle on land.

Our biggest weather issue this trip thus far hasn’t been cold, fog, ice or wind. It has been sun. Lots of sunburn and one eye burn. When it gets hot people shed their hats and heads and ears get burnt. The sun coming off the snow along with the sun itself can be really bad for the eyes.

We asked our Ponant expedition team how different is a Disney trip compared to their regular weeks. Of course they are polite but several said they enjoyed being able to do more on their expeditions. This totally makes sense as they said the average age for their non Disney weeks seem to be about 60-70. Since all points along an expedition have to be monitored to make sure guest comply with the Antarctic regulations, the more crew it takes to help with the safe loading and unloading, the shorter the expedition in time and distance.

I also learned a lot about the Drake Passage and got some neat insight into the crossing and the crews theory on the recent Viking tragedy where an American died. I’ll discuss that in several days when we cross back. Sadly the captain expects the weather to much rougher back. There were mumblings that tomorrow’s expeditions might be canceled and we would head back to Ushuaia tomorrow. However at the meeting tonight the captain announced he decided to stall the return and wait for the hurricane force winds to pass giving us a 6th day on land in Antarctica. I did hear the leader say the next week would be a four day land program due to sea conditions.

Afternoon excursion was at Danco Island. We did a 0.6 mile 500 foot climb to the top. Views were amazing! Another sunny day in the 40s with no wind. Our trail set by our expedition guides did cross a few penguin highways. Those are always cool because penguins are so stinking cute when they waddle on land.

Our biggest weather issue this trip thus far hasn’t been cold, fog, ice or wind. It has been sun. Lots of sunburn and one eye burn. When it gets hot people shed their hats and heads and ears get burnt. The sun coming off the snow along with the sun itself can be really bad for the eyes.

We asked our Ponant expedition team how different is a Disney trip compared to their regular weeks. Of course they are polite but several said they enjoyed being able to do more on their expeditions. This totally makes sense as they said the average age for their non Disney weeks seem to be about 60-70. Since all points along an expedition have to be monitored to make sure guest comply with the Antarctic regulations, the more crew it takes to help with the safe loading and unloading, the shorter the expedition in time and distance.

I also learned a lot about the Drake Passage and got some neat insight into the crossing and the crews theory on the recent Viking tragedy where an American died. I’ll discuss that in several days when we cross back. Sadly the captain expects the weather to much rougher back. There were mumblings that tomorrow’s expeditions might be canceled and we would head back to Ushuaia tomorrow. However at the meeting tonight the captain announced he decided to stall the return and wait for the hurricane force winds to pass giving us a 6th day on land in Antarctica. I did hear the leader say the next week would be a four day land program due to sea conditions.

Wow captain stopped the boat for an hour. He told everyone that there were whales bubble feeding close to the boat. I counted maybe 7 whales swimming in circles gathering krill together using bubbles. Apparently witnessing this phenomenon is pretty rare here in Antarctica. Hopefully I can post photos when I get back home in the new year.

Sorry for the double post above. Wifi is getting spotty so I don’t know what actually posts and the skies are now starting to get much more cloudy. Perhaps that plays a role in getting satellite wifi? Now we are finally experiencing more stereotypical Antarctica weather. Still absolutely shocked the wifi has been this present.

Deception island is considered an active volcano. However the last eruption was back in 1969 I believe where the based researchers made a narrow escape. Now approximately 10,000 tourist visit this place a year.

Today is our first day below freezing with a forecasted high of 30. The island houses chinstrap penguins so that’s exciting since the last three days we have seen mainly gentoo. The beach is mainly black sand beach.

So one of the rules of the IAATO, the organization that governs safe and responsible tourism of Antarctica, is that only one vessel can visit a landing site in Antarctica at a time and only 100 guests can be on land. We passed a large cruise ship last night similar size to the Magic or Wonder. Apparently they only are allowed to see Antarctica from the cruise ship deck.

I think our guides said we have 168 guests. So they divided us into four groups and the groups rotate what time we get to do landings. Today is sleep in day for us!

We just finished lunch after our excursion on Deception island. We saw some seals on the beach and chinstrap penguins but the main attraction here was the landscape. The island is actually the top of a volcano and the sea filled the crater. We took a hike along a rim of several of the side craters. It has been a very different landscape compared to what we have seen so far.

Todays weather was definitely more of the typical Antarctica day. It was really our first windy day (8 knots) and the first day we really needed our gloves. Not bad for day 6 of landings. The wind makes the zodiac ride quite a bit more challenging from a comfort standpoint. The wind makes waves that splashed all of us in the zodiac. Guess we were due a more typical Antarctic day! Yesterday people started not wearing their parkas and hiked in tee shirts; not today. We even had a bit of snow. Looks like this is the forecast for the next week or so.

Off to Livingston island and Hannah Point.

Hannah Point was another amazing sight. Male elephant seals were plentiful and trumpeted appropriately for us. We got to see for one last time gentoo and chinstrap penguins. The zodiac rides are definitely more eventful with the winds picking up. The loading and unloading were understandably more militant in style as the winds can send rogue waves. I can appreciate Ponant’s strict adherence to all the rules when loading and unloading us on the previous five calm days.
They paid off today as we loaded up so quickly.

I promised my kids a swim in Antarctica so today was the AntarTiki party and it was cold. But now I can say I swam in Antarctica; Disney does not do a true polar plunge which I learned beforehand requires a medical clearance from a doctor back home.

The Drake awaits…

I need some help. My kids, wife and I have now done Africa twice, Asia several times, are booked for Back Stage Magic in 10 weeks and Grand Europe this summer.

We are short Australia after we hit Europe this summer for the 7 continent goal. Looking for ideas for next spring break 2024 and summer 2024. We will probably skip Christmas as the oldest will have college applications due.

We are interested in Japan. People have mentioned Vietnam, Cambodia is an awesome trip. Any thoughts on Australia or New Zealand? What are some of your favorite ABDs? Being a family of 5 does make it a bit more complicated and hitting all 7 continents is cool but not necessarily the end goal.

We just enjoy experiencing new things and cultures together as a family.

I need some help. My kids, wife and I have now done Africa twice, Asia several times, are booked for Back Stage Magic in 10 weeks and Grand Europe this summer.

We are short Australia after we hit Europe this summer for the 7 continent goal. Looking for ideas for next spring break 2024 and summer 2024. We will probably skip Christmas as the oldest will have college applications due.

We are interested in Japan. People have mentioned Vietnam, Cambodia is an awesome trip. Any thoughts on Australia or New Zealand? What are some of your favorite ABDs? Being a family of 5 does make it a bit more complicated and hitting all 7 continents is cool but not necessarily the end goal.

I haven't done New Zealand yet (coming up in March) but hear it's an amazing trip. The Japan trip in 2019 was phenomenal, but they have made a LOT of changes to the trip since then. It is most likely still an *amazing* trip, but I just can't comment for sure due to the changes. The people and the places are amazing all on their own. It's my #1 ABD. But my #2 ABD is the Greece ABD. That itinerary has changed *very little* since I took it in 2013, which I think is a tribute to what an amazing itinerary it is. I *HIGHLY* recommend it! Fascinating place, wonderful itinerary and activities, and some *really* great hotels. Just all around wonderful!

Sayhello

I haven't done New Zealand yet (coming up in March) but hear it's an amazing trip. The Japan trip in 2019 was phenomenal, but they have made a LOT of changes to the trip since then. It is most likely still an *amazing* trip, but I just can't comment for sure due to the changes. The people and the places are amazing all on their own. It's my #1 ABD. But my #2 ABD is the Greece ABD. That itinerary has changed *very little* since I took it in 2013, which I think is a tribute to what an amazing itinerary it is. I *HIGHLY* recommend it! Fascinating place, wonderful itinerary and activities, and some *really* great hotels. Just all around wonderful!

Sayhello
Thanks for the input!

Since from reading this, you seem like an active family, I’d recommend New Zealand. It is an amazing AbD in a beautiful country with lots of outdoor time and nothing super strenuous. @Grifdog22 and I are in midst of a trip report from our NZ adventure last month, if you’d like to check it out.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-zealand-2022.3901397

I’ve also done Japan and it is more culture, less outdoor time. Still a great trip & I’d recommend even with the new itinerary but they are different experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter