Patricia Cornwell...Jack the Ripper...

Whitegloves

Creative Arts!
Has anyone read the Patricia Cornwell book,
PORTRAIT OF A KILLER JACK THE RIPPER CASE CLOSED ?
I am part way through it and it is fascinating. First, I DO NOT read non-fiction. I like to lose myself in possibilities, not facts. I only decided to read this as I am a fan of her Scarpetta series of books, which are fiction.
I have also learned quite a bit more about Patricia Cornwell herself. I am more than a 1/4 of the way through the book and recommend it.
Interesting reading.
(and yes, I think she has solved it.)More info

I'm currently 1/2 way through the book and I have to agree - it's excellent!
And I really think she's on to something.

Another good book is "Devil in the White City". It's about HH Holmes and the Chicago World fair

I read it a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. :)

Yep, I'm reading it too. It is a bit of a slow read so I pick it up and read some here and there between other stuff. I am a huge Cornwell fan. I also saw an interview with her on the Jack the Ripper case. Interesting. However, I think at some point she lost persepective, and is no longer objective in this investigation. Some of the points, in particular the analysis of the subject matter of art work seem to me to be reaching. Interesting all the same though. I can't wait for a new Scarpetta book.

Toward the end of the series though, sometimes she seems to be getting a bit preachy about her personal oppinions on things. This is the reason I stopped reading Ann Perry and I hope she backs off with it.

Does anybody else get really paranoid about things when reading Cornwell. You see how obsessive Kay is in personal safety and you start seeing bad guys behind every corner. I remember being in an old house while reading one of her books and I didn't want to go in my house because I forgot to lock the garage door while I went to the corner store. I also remember checking every closet door and behind every curtain. Not a book series I can read when I am home alone, although I have.

I've not read the book, but I saw a special on Dateline about this maybe a year or so ago. It was very interesting and I do think she has some interesting evidence and made valid points. It could have been this guy. I do agree that she did seem to get too involved and perhaps lost objectivity, which is what some of the critics have jumped on her about. Although at this point, I don't know if the Ripper murders can be "solved".

A little OT, but I also saw on Dateline (yeah, I watch it frequently) about a new book regarding the Black Dahlia murder in the 1940's. A former police officer believes his dad was the killer. Looks pretty good too.

I really enjoy reading true crime books, so it looks like I have 2 books to knock out on vacation this summer!

Originally posted by Tiggeroo

Does anybody else get really paranoid about things when reading Cornwell. You see how obsessive Kay is in personal safety and you start seeing bad guys behind every corner. I remember being in an old house while reading one of her books and I didn't want to go in my house because I forgot to lock the garage door while I went to the corner store. I also remember checking every closet door and behind every curtain. Not a book series I can read when I am home alone, although I have. [/B]

LOL oh yeah I do! I'm from Richmond VA and know where a most of the places she talks about are. It can be pretty creepy.

I read the Jack the Ripper book awhile ago. It was a great book and very interesting.

I'm gettting ready to read The Devil in the White City too.

I've not read Patricia Cornwell's book, but I did read an article in the Sunday Times several months ago that discredited her findings.
If any of you are ever in London, I suggest you take one of the organised Ripper Walks. Particularly if you can get on one led by Donald Rumbellow. He is the leading Ripper expert.
I have done the Whitechapel walk with him and a more knowlegable person on the Ripper and such like you couldn't possibly find.

I have it sitting on my nightstand. My Mother bought it for me awhile ago but I just haven't gotten to it yet. Finishing an Ann Rule book at the moment.

Anyway, I read an article about this Jack the Ripper book and found it to be something I hopefully want to read.

Jeff -

I don't remember the guys name, but he was an artist and she tied the crimes to the depiction in his artwork and his whereabouts at the time of the killings. He was not one of the usual suspects.

I have read it--she makes some good points. He really seems like an overlooked suspect-----definitely weird enough to have done it!

Originally posted by TIdoublegaER

A little OT, but I also saw on Dateline (yeah, I watch it frequently) about a new book regarding the Black Dahlia murder in the 1940's. A former police officer believes his dad was the killer. Looks pretty good too.

Do you know what the name of this book is? I am fascinated by the Black Dahlia case! Let me know then I'm off to Barnes & Noble!

I'm pretty sure that it is called Black Dahlia Avenger. It came out within the last month, so if its not on the best seller list, it will be in the new releases. Steve Hodel is the author.

I've never heard of this book but now I have to check it out. I've always been interested in the Ripper history and took one of the tours in Whitechapel a few years ago (don't remember who the tour guide was though) and found it very informative.

I'm a real crime buff and I am enjoying this book too, I just started it. Cornwell does a great job at real-life investigation.

Ann Rule is my favorite author- read most of hers!

Jeff in BigD
I haven't finished reading Rumbelow's book yet, but I don't think he actually names anyone as the most likely. All the usual suspects are named along with the evidence or lack of it.
It is a fascinating subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter