Pay for an upgrade/ sailing on DVC pts

married@wdw

DIS Veteran
Just read that when you get to the pier, you can sometimes pay for an upgrade at that time. We booked a Category 11 with DVC points, hoping for an upgrade to something with a view, though really OK with the inside stateroom since it's only a 3-day cruise.

My question is, if we don't get an upgrade and have extra cash from the WDW half of our trip, will they let us upgrade for cash from a DVC reservation (as opposed to a cash reservation) when we check-in at the pier? There will most likely be rooms available, since we're sailing mid-January.

yes, you can do this. My parents, who we took with points, upgraded at the port last year, no problem.

Hooray! So if we don't get an upgrade, our room category will all depend on how well I control my shopping addiction at WDW -- heehee!

I was on the magic in January of this year and the ship was full. There were signs at the port that no up grades or room changes could be honored. So, I would book now whatever cat. that you want and don't count on it being available the day the ship sails. Sorry....:(

Originally posted by Favorite Auntie
I was on the magic in January of this year and the ship was full. There were signs at the port that no up grades or room changes could be honored. So, I would book now whatever cat. that you want and don't count on it being available the day the ship sails. Sorry....:(

Wish I could! My DVC points are maxed out and I don't have the cash to pay right now. Not sure if they'd let us pay the difference for an upgrade now anyway, since we have to book through DVC and are treated as if DVC is our TA. I'm really OK with Category 11 if that's where we end up -- I was just curious if booking with DVC changed the chances for upgrades at the last minute.

Curious -- when in January did you cruise? I understand the first week is often very busy, as people extend their holiday vacations, but that by second week, things really slow down.

you are right that you cannot pay for an upgrade now. We are in a cat. 11 (have no additional points either) and I did call and ask about that. We have to pay at least one adult per cabin with points and the others either cash or points. You can't pay part points and part cash for one individual. For us, from cat. 11 to cat. 7, we'd get points back but have to pay $1400! I think I will check at the port although I really am quite content in my cat. 11 (only two of us).

Last year I called curious about upgrading with cash our Cat.6 to a Cat4 or 3 and was told by DCL that I could not do so unless DVC handled it. I told the CM that DVC does not deal with cat.3 but I would consider paying the cash price to upgrade and was told I could not because DVC was my "agent". Kinda puts you between a rock and a hard place if you own DVC and want a Cat. 3.. oh well I spent the money on a beautiful diamond band instead in Cozumel... :)

I like the diamond band idea........... (memories of a cat. 3 would be great BUT.....a diamond band........:) :) :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter