Pee in a baggie & bananas in Aladdin: a WDW & DLR back-to-back TR

CarrieR

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I am a frequent WDW visitor and DISboards reader, but this is my first TR. Hopefully someone out there is interested in reading about our (mis)adventures in the realms of Disney! We have had such a whirlwind few weeks that I am afraid I will forget everything if I don't write it down, so I thought I would give this a shot. :)

The basics:

We went to WDW from Aug 17 to Aug 25, then left for DLR on Aug 29. In between, I worked three overnights - resulting in me spending exactly one night out of seventeen in my own bed. :headache: We are WDW AP holders, and upgraded to the Premiere Passport in preparation for our DLR trip. (We won't talk about how many hours of OT were required to pay for that sucker! LOL!) The DLR trip was inspired so that we could run the DLR half marathon, to finish the coast-to-coast that we started with the WDW in January... did I mention that we are not runners? Yeah.

About me:

I am Carrie, I work as a nanny for a family that has some weeeeird hours for childcare needs. (Hence the overnights!) Mom & Dad work in an industry with variable hours, so the nanny needs to keep the same schedule. Two little kids, both adorable and spirited! I have been working with kids since, uh, forever, and MOST of the time I love my job. Tangential to that, I also do volunteer work as a car seat nerd and am active in my church. I do not like crowds and I do not like hot, but I have finally learned how to handle it instead of just melting down! I am the planner/researcher personality of the group, which is just fine with my friends. It is typical to get asked if I'm a cast member a few times per trip... oops! I first visited WDW as a kid in the 80s, and have loved it ever since.

I also have a quirky, sarcastic, self-deprecating, and sometimes pun-ny sense of humor. Beware.

My traveling pals, names changed to protect the (not so?) innocent:

My roommate, Mikayla, is much more chill than I am. She works in a medical office setting and loves her job. She will give input throughout the planning phase, but generally lets me take the lead... to say that I have the stronger personality is putting it lightly. She has a love of togetherness, all of her friends, all together, all the time, which sometimes causes a bit of strife since I am quite independent and sometimes need space! Her first WDW trip was over NYE '99-00, which her family spent in EPCOT. It was such an ordeal that she has held a hatred of EPCOT ever since. But she does have a love of DHS, which in her world, must ALWAYS be called MGM.

Our good friend, Mr. C, is a teacher in the northeast. She is why we are taking the trip now, so that she can get back before school starts. And yes, "Mr C" is a she, I will share the story behind her nickname in another post! She is our very mellow, chill, go-with-the-flow friend, whose only request is that we sleep *sometimes* on the trip. We are very good at burning the candle at both ends. Mr. C will willingly do it with us, bemoaning her fate the whole time. Mr. C also has a childhood love of The Little Mermaid, which is how we ended up staying at AoA!

Partway through the trip, C3 is joining us. She is Mikayla's college roommate, and a young mom, who needed a brief getaway from her awesome kiddos. I am not sure Disney was the relaxing getaway she needed, but I think she enjoyed herself nonetheless.

We also have an honorary mention to Misty, Mikayla's cousin. Misty is employed by... let's see, how shall I say this. Misty works for a company whose king is a rodent, providing nourishment for all of the rodent's loyal subjects. For the low, low price of their firstborns. ;) In all seriousness, she and HER firstborn, the teenage D, pop in and out of our tale.

Throughout the WDW portion of our trip, we visited just about every Disney-owned thing - except Typhoon Lagoon and Fantasia Gardens. Well and I guess ESPN WWOS. Some of them were not real visits, but I suppose that's another tale for another day...

In our next episode: Arrival Day. How did the airplane's ceiling get wet? How many calls will it take to get our bags? And who will buy a house on a Disney bus? These questions and many more answered on the next episode of... Soap. I mean, my trip report.

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets that reference!!)

Wow!! That's a lot of Disney time!! Awesome! We were at WDW at the same time. I'm interested to hear how a non-runner did with the 1/2 marathon! :) I run but not that much. (Well, I ran until last Sunday when I had an injury and was supposed to cheer on a fellow Diser participating in the 1/2 at the DLR.) so I'm totally interested and want to read about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter