People are so done with Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I got a wedding invitation in the mail yesterday. I knew my cousin's DD was getting married, but they were originally talking about an immediate family only small wedding. Now it looks like it will be a much bigger event (about 150 people) in late June. I'm not sure yet if we'll go, but DH and I are both vaccinated so I'm leaning to yes. Got to get back to normal eventually.

Last edited:
It actually seems kind of funny now how people are continuing to cope while still trying to hold on to hope for a future. We’ve received several invitations over the past few months to milestone events that clearly spell out they will only happen IF restrictions are lifted by the planned date. We are still under very strict conditions here.

One recent wedding invitation was a tentative “save the date” type-of thing specifying what “tier” we were in and what the local conditions would need to be for us to actually get to go. For example, right now there are absolutely no in-person social events allowed; weddings can only be the couple, the officiant and two witnesses. If that holds, this couple will just have the pastor and one parent each. There are 10 allowed to gather outdoors and that opens it up to a few more. If restrictions lift to the point they are allowed to have 20, 30 or 50, a variety of people then get to go. An event without size restrictions is beyond even dreaming of at this point.

A year ago receiving such an invitation would have been an insult and hearing about these plans would have seemed crazy but now, it’s just all part of pandemic survival mode.

It actually seems kind of funny now how people are continuing to cope while still trying to hold on to hope for a future. We’ve received several invitations over the past few months to milestone events that clearly spell out they will only happen IF restrictions are lifted by the planned date. We are still under very strict conditions here.

One recent wedding invitation was a tentative “save the date” type-of thing specifying what “tier” we were in and what the local conditions would need to be for us to actually get to go. For example, right now there are absolutely no in-person social events allowed; weddings can only be the couple, the officiant and two witnesses. If that holds, this couple will just have the pastor and one parent each. There are 10 allowed to gather outdoors and that opens it up to a few more. If restrictions lift to the point they are allowed to have 20, 30 or 50, a variety of people then get to go. An event without size restrictions is beyond even dreaming of st this point.

A year ago receiving such an invitation would have been an insult and hearing about these plans would have seemed crazy but now, it’s just all part of pandemic survival mode.
I have one of those invitations for November in California. It makes it kind of hard to plan. This is different. It's a real invitation. No tiers. No contingencies. I'm kind of excited to go.

We are attending a wedding this weekend. Our first social event since February of last year. ONLY going because DH and I are vaccinated, the wedding is reasonably sized and outdoors...and I am still nervous about going. It is going to take a long time for us to feel comfortable being "normal".

Weddings are so dang difficult right now. I have a cousin who was supposed to be married in March 2020... then May... July... October... finally she just got married in December in her small church ceremony, and she couldn’t have the reception (originally 250 people) due to the restrictions there. She’s fighting with the venue now to get her money back.

I should probably be more empathetic with venues, but because of this (and other stories from friends and family), these places that are pocketing thousands of dollars from couples and are telling these couples “too bad, so sad” are marking it hard.

I'm going to my niece's wedding in late August. Indoor ceremony. I'm assuming no masks required. By that time, all of the adults and most of the teen-agers will be inoculated. However, I'm assuming the kiddies won't be.

Her shower is in late June. It's an outdoor shower. Just hoping it doesn't rain.

Yes, we all are so done with Covid. It did work out, however, it broke my heart that my DD's baby shower had to be done over Zoom. Her pregnancy was completely during the pandemic; from June until March. At least, my granddaughter is happy and healthy.

My cousin's wedding is supposed to be in September (rescheduled from last September) and I really hope it can happen as normal. They did get married last fall with a very small wedding, but are still having the big reception when possible. We just got the shower invitation for late July, which will be outside.

My nephew is getting married in September. We received a Save-the-Date around Christmas that said they should know by July if we’re actually invited.

My grandson’s first birthday is in May. His baby shower was canceled last year. We’re hoping to have a party with extended family for his birthday since we’ll all be fully vaccinated by then.

i am done with COVID myself but that doesn’t mean I am going to completely stop taking precautions.

I did allow myself to hug a friend I hadn’t seen in over a year yesterday. I must admit I am nervous about it now. I know he isn’t as cautious as me. But it was outside and less than 10 minutes of unmasked interaction.

The hardest thing with social events is not being in a group of people. I have been in socially distanced groups outdoors since last summer. It’s being with the people you don’t want to have to keep your distance from. It’s wanting to hug and kiss friends and relatives without worry. I am not quite ready to be in a big group of friends and relatives yet.

Sadly, Covid isn't done with the people. :(

We really did take for granted normal life didn't we?
Someday......
But Covid will never be done with people. Many have already figured that out. Get your vaccine and go live your life. I just got back from my 3rd post pandemic trip to Disney. The plane flying back to NY was 100% full on Southwest with all seats occupied. We sat next to strangers. Strangers in the rows in front and back. People are traveling and airlines are allowing it. By now, people have been vaccinated, recovered or just simply don't care. We already know not enough people are going to get the vaccine to snuff this out. And with variants, etc. it is never going away.

Someday is now. Even Disney with their ridiculous strict "theater" policies are now letting all the rows on attractions be full. Six feet apart? Well, you know, ride capacity. But we took everyone's temperature at the gate so we are ok. Even the mask compliance was not nearly as strict as when we went in November and February. And there were so many people in the parks. It was typical packed April crowds.

I agree Covid is not done with us but the entire public health part of this pandemic is over. It is time to get a vaccine and worry about doing things YOU feel comfortable doing and not worry what others are doing. If these folks want to have a 150 person wedding in June why not? Southwest just allowed 180 total strangers jammed into a small tube for 3 hours in April. At this point, assuming the people who do not feel comfortable attending a wedding do not go, who is the couple protecting by not doing it? I am sure they would understand if people decline due to not feeling comfortable. That should be a totally acceptable response. But we need to stop shaming people for going on with their lives. Those days should be done.

Get your vaccine everyone!!

Last edited:
I think the outage over the unblocking of middle seats is far stretched. Look, the average middle seat is 18 inches. You weren’t going to achieve your social distancing either way. If your goal is social distancing then you need to stay in your car.

We were really worried and scared at the very beginning. We still are up to a point. Not letting our guard down. There is so much more now that we know and yet so much more - no one really knows. At the very beginning, I was watching Italy on the news and talking to family members and yelling at our "tv/news channels/politicians" saying - shut it down - us/the city/the country. I knew/felt we are next.

BUT - now we are over it - but not completely. We missed a lot for almost a year and still do/cancelled vacations, family parties, etc. etc. We were indoors for many months. We did not see our kids and grandchildren for months - only on FaceTime. Summer of 2020 - we finally saw the kids and grandkids outside. Eventually we went back to babysitting. We finally went to Disney - our first out of the house event in October and back again last month. We don't take off our clothes and shoes at the door like we did early on for months. We don't wipe down all of our groceries anymore. When we go for our morning exercise walk - we do not wear a mask unless we know we can't avoid someone within 3-6 feet (we have it with us). We go so early at the beach, it is very easy to avoid the few/same people we see.

We still don't socialize - except for our kids/grandchildren and maybe a friend two/three times for an outdoor meal when it was allowed. No one has been in our house except for our kids and grandchildren and now we see the other grandparents. Most of us have been fully vaccinated.

We wear our masks - we need to everywhere we go and will probably wear it for a while for certain places even if the time comes and they tell us it is not required. We wash our hands constantly and still don't socialize or go out to eat. DH fully vaccinated and I am getting my second one next week.

We know it's still here and we are taking precautions but we are not staying locked in the house anymore. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their own choices.

I received an invite for a baby shower end of June - this time around, I plan on going. Won't hug, kiss or shake hands.

I think the outage over the unblocking of middle seats is far stretched. Look, the average middle seat is 18 inches. You weren’t going to achieve your social distancing either way. If your goal is social distancing then you need to stay in your car.
I'm guessing you never had anyone slobbering all over the armrest next to you for the entire flight... lucky you! LOL

I for one appreciated the vacant middle seat... doesn't mean I won't fly, but I'll miss it.

How long do we expect people to put off regular size weddings? Many put them off for a year already. Most who want a vaccine should be able to get one by then.
Well, I would point out during World War I, World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam was when there was a draft, many people put off weddings for the TWO years that the man was overseas. It has only been ONE year for the pandemic. This is a small sacrifice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter