• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Perillo Tours to Europe

Looking forward to what people have to say.

We were looking at these, always wanted to try them since I heard so many good things over the years. But now that I have arthritis and sometimes need to slow down and rest it seems like it isn't a good fit. Still, maybe my impression is wrong.

we were talking about using Gate 1 travel. Basically same thing as Perillos but not so sure we would like the group thing.

Never done a group tour but seems I would want to know from others who used that particular company what their experience was. I would assume most of your time involves doing things as a group. Perhaps they also allow some free time where you can shop/eat or walk around on your own. I think you have to be the kind of person who wants to be part of a group tour with someone else setting the majority of the itinerary regardless of what country you plan to visit. Likely you travel around in a tour bus vs. each person/family having their own transportation.

If you go someplace where you don't speak that language, not sure how you would manage on your own if you can't communicate with the locals.

Last edited:

I know nothing about Perillo but lots about group travel. Pros & cons...

Pros - they plan everything, arrange the transportation, pre-buy the tickets (sometimes to places that require very advance purchasing), speak English, usually arrange some group meals and offer suggestions and maps for your free time.

Cons - the other people. We've been very lucky on most trips (made lasting friendships) but some have had people who had no business taking a tour that required walking/standing/getting on or off busses. Very frustrating. I feel like I missed most of the Vatican tour because one couple had to sit and rest every block and we ran out of time. We now look for tours designated "small group".

I know nothing about Perillo but lots about group travel. Pros & cons...

Pros - they plan everything, arrange the transportation, pre-buy the tickets (sometimes to places that require very advance purchasing), speak English, usually arrange some group meals and offer suggestions and maps for your free time.

Cons - the other people. We've been very lucky on most trips (made lasting friendships) but some have had people who had no business taking a tour that required walking/standing/getting on or off busses. Very frustrating. I feel like I missed most of the Vatican tour because one couple had to sit and rest every block and we ran out of time. We now look for tours designated "small group".
Thank you for your input- what amount of people would you consider to be a small tour

We have done 2 Perillo tours and have nothing but positive feedback

1. Italy Venice, Florence and Rome. Everything went smoothly- great accommodations, tours and transportation.The tour guide was awesome- highly recommend . Got VIP access to all sites- Vatican had massive lines but we just walked right in

2. Hawaii- Oahu,Maui and Kawaii- tour guide Bert was awesome- all hotels were beautiful and ocean views-tours were great and included meals very good

We have done tours with other companies-Collette and Viking and all we’re good
The best thing is that everything is done for you.
Also you don’t have to do everything as a group- spend time as you wish but know that the excursions and definitely worth it

We have done 2 Perillo tours and have nothing but positive feedback

1. Italy Venice, Florence and Rome. Everything went smoothly- great accommodations, tours and transportation.The tour guide was awesome- highly recommend . Got VIP access to all sites- Vatican had massive lines but we just walked right in

2. Hawaii- Oahu,Maui and Kawaii- tour guide Bert was awesome- all hotels were beautiful and ocean views-tours were great and included meals very good

We have done tours with other companies-Collette and Viking and all we’re good
The best thing is that everything is done for you.
Also you don’t have to do everything as a group- spend time as you wish but know that the excursions and definitely worth it
Thank you for the info, can I ask what the age group of the people on the tours were

I have never taken one. I did consider one for this fall but they were all booked. I followed them/liked? on FB and everyone has positive things/feedback.

There were a variety of ages- we were in our early 60s but there was a young couple in there 30s on their honeymoon plus people in their 40s and 50s
A woman probably 50s was there with her father who was over 90 he was the most energetic of the group

My friend just did a Rick Steves tour (Italy) and raved about it.

Be sure to read the description of the Rick Steves tours carefully. Years ago, I used his travel books extensively when I went to England. :thumbsup2 I would have loved to do one of his tours someday, as they seem to make sure there is a healthy mix of doing things with the group and also having some alone time, just exploring the destinations on one's own with some experienced advice and input from the guides if one wants. 🥰 I was looking at his tours of Paris & other parts of France, right before the pandemic. I'd be spending most of my free time in the Louvre and the Impressionists Museum. 🥰

But now his tours are no longer appropriate for me. They require one to be quite fit and healthy. I have a chronic illness that can leave me short of energy at times. Even though I walk practically everywhere here in NYC, doing a few miles hike here and there, up and down hilly mountainsides, every day, may be too much for me now. (Although, that's when I'd opt out for some alone down time.)

And I have a bad back. Some places they stay at, while wonderfully quaint and mom & pop owned, are smaller or sometimes older and do not have elevators. One's room might be on the 4th floor of a walk up and you'd have to carry all your luggage up by yourself. That alone is a deal breaker for me now. :(

And no way should the type of people below even think of doing a Rick Steves tour, let alone an average one. (There are tours for just seniors which I hope may be gentler and more accommodating for people with health issues.)

but some have had people who had no business taking a tour that required walking/standing/getting on or off busses. Very frustrating. I feel like I missed most of the Vatican tour because one couple had to sit and rest every block and we ran out of time.

@Imzadi - which tours have you found for seniors? I’m still researching…

I don't remember off-hand. It was just before the pandemic hit and I saw some groups advertized for them. I might have found them from here on the DIS, as I wouldn't have known they existed either.

Let me think about it a bit more. :scratchin I do remember seeing a group advertised at a convention I was at a couple months ago. I may have bookmarked the woman who owns the company.

Do some searches for different words though, like "tours for over 50 (or 60.)" It was more for tours for like-minded and like-ages, so that college aged and people in their 30's would know they probably wouldn't find other people their ages. However, adults traveling with their senior parents and their young kids (who can't walk very fast either,) may find it more a family oriented and appropriate speed tour. (I think I read that in one of the reviews that raved about the tour.)

@Imzadi - which tours have you found for seniors? I’m still researching…

@starry_solo Got it! I remember now finding out about this first company on a show like Good Morning America. That's how I learned there are seniors/over 50 tours that go at a much gentler pace.

This first company is Road Scholar. They even have a search listing how much activity & movement are in each tour. This page is a Choose Your Pace, where one can schedule the amount of activity per day:

https://www.roadscholar.org/collections/choose-your-pace/

Rick Steves even recommended the company at the bottom of a page he has for general tips for seniors traveling:
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/savvy-senior-travelers

And it's listed on Travel & Leisure magazine along with several other tour companies for seniors:
https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/senior-travel/best-travel-groups-for-seniors

One of my favorite travel review sites, TripAdvisor I found they have a whole forum for Senior travel.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i13626-Senior_Travel.html

They have an older thread of posts about some people's experiences with Road Scholar:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i13626-k12255144-Road_Scholars-Senior_Travel.html

However, out of my own curiosity as I may still want to do a tour someday, a couple of other groups that are on the Travel & Leisure magazine list seem to have better reviews on TripAdvisor. Odysseys Unlimited got great reviews, although they are also more high end and probably their prices reflect the better quality of accommodations, restaurant choices, etc. They also were given a Best Choice award by Travel & Leisure. Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) also seems to have good reviews too.

Here's an older, quite long thread comparing the 3 companies. Of course, things may have changed in recent years and especially after the pandemic, so take everything with a grain of salt until you do more research.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...9-OAT_vs_Odyssey_Unlimited-Senior_Travel.html

One thing to keep in mind is tours may have rules regarding Covid. I go on different travel message boards and someone was talking about I believe a RS tour where either the husband or wife got it and even after isolating the 5 days and testing negative was not allowed to rejoin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter