Pets at Portafino...........????????

Gail T AGAIN

<font color=teal>Slightly computer challenged<br><
I don't know if anyone feels the way I do but I was upset to read that PBH allows animals in the rooms. I am thinking to stay on Disney property instead of there. Pets are great but they to me shouldn't be allowed in a hotel that is geared towards travelers. OK, calm down all you dog lovers, I know I love my cat but she stays home and I pay to have someone come to feed he, change her litter boxed and make sure she is OK. I am just so upset, I have till tomorrow to decide what I am going to do, my son thinks I am nuts for thinking this way. I don't want to stay in a room that a dog might of gone to the bathroom on the carpet, has flees, YUCK.

Don't worry about it. Never read a negative post about pets at PBH here. Especially PBH.
If there was ever an incident of any kind, pet or people (and ya gotta wonder what some people have done), then I'm sure all proper sanitary procedures have been followed.
Go to Portofino and enjoy the place. You won't regret it. In fact, you may plan your next trip there completely.
Jim

Pet owner in favor of Loews policy

I for one have a cat who has separation anxiety. In the past we have always left him at home with my parents, but as the days go into weeks his condition worsens. I know the average person would think this is ridiculous and that the cat would be fine left with others or at home and attended to occasionally for food, etc, but even when my husband and I are home and our son spends the night somewhere else the cat goes nuts meowing for him through the night. I would love to be able to take this cat with us on vacation. (probably never would for fear of losing him accidentally) When I heard Loews accepts pets I was thrilled. It does seem a bit scarey to think about things such as fleas or pet odors, but there is nothing that says you can't request another room that is more acceptable....and I am sure that most pets who are well traveled are also pretty house trained as well. The only thing I would worry about is an unneutered male cat and that obviously leaves a horrible odor, or a female pet that has not been spade and might be in heat leaving marks of her own...all of which I would think the owners would consider and handle accordingly. You would never know I even have a cat in my house unless you went to a secluded bathroom upstairs and saw a litterpan. He has no claws on front paws to ruin furniture, has been neutered, has all shots including leukemia (I would worry if I had a cat NOT on this shot and visited a strange place), is on flea preventive and always uses his litterpan. I say if you have a problem with a room you are given, just politely notify front desk and get moved to one more suitable. As someone else stated.......People can be pretty nasty creatures too, but that does not keep us from enjoying our resorts.

I do believe there are special rooms for travelers carrying there pets, I know at HRH there is.

We need a Universal/Lowes resort employee on this board for these types of questions. :)

If they want to allow pets they should keep them to a certain area of the hotel. I am VERY ALLERGIC.........Asthma to dogs. I'm very sensitive and have taken a test drive in a car at a dealership and knew they had a dog in the car recently. I'm staying at the new RPH at the end of June - hoping it won't be a problem.:smooth:

MLindaG, the hotel is going to be opening on the 19 so I would hope it wouldn't be a problem. I know that not everyone travels with there pets, I know I don't and it is to bad if the cat takes a hissy when I get home but she is a cat and staying home and having a caretaker look after her is the best thing. I just cancelled my room tonight after going back and forth. I did call the hotel, I was told animals could be on any location in the hotel except concierge but I was not willing to chance it. It is costing me #20 more to stay in the club level of the swan hotel. Ok, so we don't get front access to the rides but I can deal with that.

As far as PBH, We've stayed there at least 10 times without a problem. We did have to move out of one room at HRH, they say they allow pets in only certain rooms but frankly I've seen them in all areas of the hotel. My DH is highly allergic to dogs, and his eyes sweled up in the room we were in & he couldn't stop sneezing! So obviously there was a dog in the room before we got there. They did move us w/o a problem.
Don't worry, enjoy yourself at the most beautiful hotel!
BTW, there are lots of hotel chains that allow animals! Hampton Inn & Embassy suites are two that I know of.

In both Hotels, there are special rooms just for pets. There are very few of these bc the need for pets at the hotels is not great. So in any normal case you won't have a room that pets were in. And if you are worried about it call the reservationist and request a room that is not a pet room.:jester:

I called and talked to the manager last night, he said "there are no specified rooms for pets but they CAN NOT go on the concierge level. I took his word for it, that is gross, what if the animal has fleas, I doubt they are going to do the whole hotel like people have to de-flea their houses. End of conversation, I am not staying there, I was just trying to give heads up to others if they have a problem with this like I did.

We just got back from PB. I am highly allergic to cats, so was a little concerned. However, there was no sign there had ever been a pet in the room. We noticed three different rooms having the carpets shampooed on different mornings, so I wonder if they do this after every pet stay??? We only saw two people with pets. They were both very LARGE dogs, which surprised me, but they were well behaved. I wouldn't worry. PB is such a nice place, I can't imagine them allowing pets to contaminate a room.

By the way ... be sure to check out the special room service menu for pets ... we got a huge chuckle out of this! What was even better was seeing a GORGIOUS bowl of milk being delivered to a neighboring room (I ASSUME for a cat!) :-)

Have a great time! You're going to LOVE PB!

Thanks for posting this info, Gail T AGAIN. I'm surprised (and disappointed) to learn that pets are accepted at PBH and that they are allowed to be in any room except conceirge. Since I am very allergic to cats, I will not chance staying there. It doesn't matter if they shampoo the carpets afterwards (and I doubt very much they do it after every pet stay anyway). My eyes will still get very red and swell up and I'd still be sneezing.

I really appreciate the heads up. If we decide to go to Universal on our next trip, I'll be sure to call and specifcally ask the Manager about the policy for HRH and RP.

PS. I don't hate cats, I just can't be around them and I especially don't want to be miserable on vacation because of them!

Just a heads up, we have stayed at PBH many times. My DH is highly allergic to cats & long haired dogs. We have NEVER had a problem at PBH!!! There are many many hotel chains that allow dogs believe it or not!

Do they allow dogs and cats in the parks? What do these people do with the animal when they go to a restaurant or the park if not allowed there? I'm not talking seeing eye dog here......I don't want a room next to someone who has a dog who may bark at night either, cats can be loud and distrubing too. Do we need to request a room away from animals now too? I also love our pets, but not on vacation at US/IOA or WDW, sorry animal lovers. Staying at the new RPR in August, I think......

RobinLyn :confused:

We take our Yorkie with us on vacation and we make a point of going to back to the room during lunchtime on the days that we go to the parks. But I would like to add that we do need to have a pet health certificate that is no older than 10 days whenever we do travel. It is requested before we board the plane and before checking into the hotel. It is not cheap to travel with pets, but we rather spend the extra money than leaving him home. I doubt that someone who cannot afford to keep their pets well groomed and healthy would spend the extra money to take their pets with them on vacation.

You can never be sure where pets have been and have heard stories how people sneak their pets into their rooms at the Disney resorts.

When I first saw this thread about animals allowed in the hotel I had to stop myself from reaching for the phone and canceling my ressies. Instead I sat back and read all everyone had to say and I can see both sides here. I personally love animals, yet would NEVER take them on a plane and leave them in a strange room. That is just me. There are so many ways of looking at this but the bottom line is.... pet owners.... respect those in the hotel who arent. Just like parents of young children, respect those who are traveling without children. Animals may bark and cause a mess if the owners are neglectful and children will scream and cry and make a mess as well if left unattended. Nobody or animal is perfect and accidents happen, its how they are handled that counts. Be kind, considerate and respectful of others and all will be right. Thats not too much to ask is it? I hope we ALL enjoy our trips! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Originally posted by DisneyDazed
When I first saw this thread about animals allowed in the hotel I had to stop myself from reaching for the phone and canceling my ressies. Instead I sat back and read all everyone had to say and I can see both sides here. I personally love animals, yet would NEVER take them on a plane and leave them in a strange room. That is just me. There are so many ways of looking at this but the bottom line is.... pet owners.... respect those in the hotel who arent. Just like parents of young children, respect those who are traveling without children. Animals may bark and cause a mess if the owners are neglectful and children will scream and cry and make a mess as well if left unattended. Nobody or animal is perfect and accidents happen, its how they are handled that counts. Be kind, considerate and respectful of others and all will be right. Thats not too much to ask is it? I hope we ALL enjoy our trips! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

The problem is that some people may be like myself who is VERY Allergic to pets. I usually immediately feel it both in my eyes (red and swollen....actual eye ball swells) but also in my lungs (I have asthma to dogs- no other asthma thankgoodness). Sometimes despite using my inhaler as quickly as I realize I've been exposed I still get a full blown attack and I'm down and out for a couple of days. I have two types of inhalers..........one I take when I know that I'm going to be exposed and it works very well to keep the asthma to a minimum..........one that I take after I've been exposed. I would have never thought that these hotels would allow pets. I probably will use my before exposure inhaler until I know that the room hasn't had a dog. I'm grateful for this thread.

As much as I want to stay at one of the US on property resorts, I just hate the thought of being exposed to 'dog dander'. I am highly allergic to where my throat just 'closes' up and can't breathe. It's a 911 thing for me. I don't want to take the chance. It's scary not being able to breathe. I guess I will stay on Disney property for this reason (not that that's a bad thing!)LOL! I love WDW and don't have to worry about dogs being in the rooms there.

I just talked with reservations and requested a non pet room. What she said is that they usually keep the pets to the first two floors. So hopefully I will have no trouble. How many people really want to take their pets along on vacation?? Hopefully not too many. :)

Originally posted by MLindaG
How many people really want to take their pets along on vacation?? Hopefully not too many. :)

Not me, that's for sure! We have 2 labs, it'd be like taking 2 more kids, lol! Seriously, we've stayed at the Portofino 5 differant times and I've never seen any animals. Hope it works out for you.:D

DH is very allergic to cats, and dogs. We recently stayed at a Residence Inn and I saw in their hotel literature that pets are welcome but they charge $150 cleaning fee when you depart. I would hope that means they give the room a very thorough cleaning for the sake of allergic people. Although even walking down the common areas DH may react to an animal that was there. All hotels should do this if they allow pets. Luckily we saw no pets at that hotel while we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter