Photo Sharing: Ultra Wide Angle

That is odd. I will say I never had problems with flare on the copy I had.

It could have been the lights, which, granted, were going to pose an issue if I was standing in the wrong spot. It is fine in the day, even with natural sunlight using a lens hood I don't have a problem. We were out in the middle of the city so there were lots of street lights around. I just found it interesting that he never had an issue standing in the same spot and I did. I will have to get out again in similar conditions and do some 'testing' to see if I can isolate the situations where it is an issue

I also use the Tokina 11-16mm. In daylight, there is usually no issues with flare.
Night shots were a different story. If you get street light in the shot, and they are off to the edge of the frame, you will get flare. It is also exacerbated by over exposing the shot. In general, at night, the camera would over expose since there is a lot of dark areas in the frame, like the sky and shadows.

Here's a shot with the Tokina. 12 seconds at f/11, no filter.
You can see where each flare is coming from a small, bright light source.
DSC_2720-L.jpg

This doesn't happen every time. Just when all the conditions are right; small intense light source near the edge, a bit over exposed, dark background for the flare to show up. It's just what we have to deal with using UWA lenses. Lens hoods and/or flags can help reduce flares, if the light source is outside of the frame.

Flare can also occur on the pro Nikon 14-24mm, as this lens review site states.
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/447-nikkor_afs_1424_28_ff?start=1

I also use the Tokina 11-16mm. In daylight, there is usually no issues with flare.
Night shots were a different story. If you get street light in the shot, and they are off to the edge of the frame, you will get flare. It is also exasperated by over exposing the shot. In general, at night, the camera would over expose since there is a lot of dark areas in the frame, like the sky and shadows.

Here's a shot with the Tokina. 12 seconds at f/11, no filter.
You can see where each flare is coming from a small, bright light source.
DSC_2720-L.jpg

This doesn't happen every time. Just when all the conditions are right; small intense light source near the edge, a bit over exposed, dark background for the flare to show up. It's just what we have to deal with using UWA lenses. Lens hoods and/or flags can help reduce flares, if the light source is outside of the frame.

Flare can also occur on the pro Nikon 14-24mm, as this lens review site states.
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/447-nikkor_afs_1424_28_ff?start=1

Yes that is exactly what mine looked like. Lol, I also had lumo green flare coming in at the right. I had no filter on at the time. I tried the hood but it cast shadows so I removed it. It was down to the relationship between where I was and where the light was but if i moved I didn't have the image framed nicely. It was a little over exposed on long exposure so perhaps I should have erred on the darker side with a shorter one. Nonetheless, my intention that night was to get out and experiment and have fun which I did achieve (and find my way around my new camera) so it wasn't a loss. I was just surprised at the level of flare! You are correct in that I have never had issues with it in the day, so perhaps why I only noticed it now.

Thanks for the pic :thumbsup2

After reading this thread for years and wanting an UW all that time, it's actually happening tomorrow! Finally I pulled together the money and asked for it for Mother's Day.

I'm getting a 10-22 mm Canon lens. I know it will be wonderful for all the unique angles and shots shown in this thread but my primary goal is to shoot landscapes.

Now I have to get in some practice before we leave for California next week! Yikes!

Nice Lens - I have this lens and love it.

After reading this thread for years and wanting an UW all that time, it's actually happening tomorrow! Finally I pulled together the money and asked for it for Mother's Day.

I'm getting a 10-22 mm Canon lens. I know it will be wonderful for all the unique angles and shots shown in this thread but my primary goal is to shoot landscapes.

Now I have to get in some practice before we leave for California next week! Yikes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter