Photo sharing: Zoos

We went back to the Mexico City zoo yesterday. We had a great time, but there are some observations I made. Things that I would either change or avoid in the future:

1) Make sure you're battery is fully charged before going (especially if you only have one battery). When we got there, I realized that my battery wouldn't last, so I shot most of my shots in manual focus mode, to make it last longer. Unfortunately the focus is just not as sharp in many of my pictures as it would have been in autofocus. Oh well, lesson learned.

2) Try to avoid going at midday, especially on a very bright sunny day. I found myself fighting with harsh overhead shadows most of the time we were there. Next time I will try to shoot for the earliest time possible - like being there when they open the doors. I did get a good chance though, to do some practicing with exposure compensations (typically either +1, or +2) some times it really worked well, and other times not so well.

3) Another reason to avoid going at midday is because so many of the animals were either MIA (probably hiding in their cages) or taking their daily siestas. Many of the animals I was hoping to shoot were either just not to be found, or they were on the other side of their areas, laying down with their backs towards us. I've heard many people say that the best time to go to the animal kingdom is in the morning. I imagine it's probably the same here.

4) It seems like this time of year is prime shedding time. I was amazed at how many of the critters were in various stages of fur and hair decomposition. A shedding animal doesn't exactly make the best looking subject.

5) If possible check with the zoo ahead of time to see if there are many scheduled field trips. We went on a Tuesday, hoping to avoid the large crowds you normally find on the weekends. What we found was many large groups of school kids (you know the yelling, running, bumping into you, standing in front of the shot you want to take) type of kids.

6) My son (who is almost 13), reminded me that it's not so cool for him to appear to be having that good of a time with his parents around. Even though he's a really good kid, and we have a great relationship, it's still just not cool to be seen hanging around with your parents. I'm pretty sure he had a good time in spite of his nonchalant demeanor. At least my 10 year old daughter still enjoys being around her old fogie parents in public

7) I shot the entire day with my 55-200 lens. There were a few times that I would have been better served changing my lens to the 18-55 to get some better close ups, but altogether I was pretty happy with the telephoto. I did wish that I had a stronger zoom lens (something around a 300mm or more) to get some of those critters who were as far away as possible. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to pick up a stronger telephoto lens, but for now the 200 does a pretty good job.

Amazingly, in spite of the battery, sun, time of day, kids and any other minor irritation that attempted to derail us, we still ended up having a great time (even my son, though I'm not sure he will admit it). Next time we go, I'll attempt to modify some of these things, but as long as the end result is the same (a good time had by all), then I'll be very happy.

Does anybody have any other zoo / animal park comments or recommendations that they would like to share?

How about....... I'm glad you have a decent zoo to even visit? The one in KC is pretty pathetic..... in spite of a big bond issue to make it "better" a while back....... Guess I'll have to settle for Animal Kingdom in December! :cool1:

Are you going to post some photos?

I"m sorry you ended up there on a field trip day. That does change the experience!

I'm in Dallas/ Fort Worth and you have to hit the zoos here pretty early in the day to see the animals. By noon it's too hot for many of them. I tend to avoid them the last month of school becasue of all the field trips.

My suggestion is to not place your camera on top of the trash, tie your shoes, and then forget you placed the camera on top of the trash. I lost a camera at our zoo this way; no one ever turned it in to lost and found. I lost it; they found it.

Take an old wash cloth or something to wipe viewing windows if you have photograph through them.

I love to wear my big photographers vest and carry my big white lens around my neck when I visit the zoo. You get two benefits. #1 - Many people assume you're a pro and move out of your way and #2 - its great for embarrasing your teenage kids (see #6 from OP).

I really like shooting at the zoo. If you get a chance, see if you can take a 100-400mm lens. Some folks call it a "zoo lens", and now I can see why.

Here are some photos I took this past year at my local zoo.

729620631_dZfvW-L.jpg

729730129_LzzXu-L.jpg

729729877_6L8Yq-L.jpg

729974507_qJUc3-L.jpg

623819113_PWrop-L.jpg

729713334_LPj6r-L.jpg

Here's my tip: Always be prepared. With wild animals around, you never know what "once in a lifetime" photo op you might find in a zoo.......

Disneyboy's photo reminded me of a memorable one I took at the San Diego Zoo in 2005. Not technically great. It would have been nice to have some fill flash on my son's face but I'm glad I was able to capture the moment......

What can I say....... He was 10 years old and easily amused.......

timmyrhinoresize.jpg

My first tip from yesterday was going to be- When eating ice cream, put your camera away because it hangs right under your mouth. After spending last night straining my eyes in PSE, I'm going to change my tip to Always shoot in RAW.

When going inside to see some animals and then back out, I forgot to change some settings here and there. If I were shooting JPG than I would have lost some really good shots. I was shocked at what I could fix. Some of the worst pictures I took came out extremely good in PP. I may never shoot JPG again.

My first tip from yesterday was going to be- When eating ice cream, put your camera away because it hangs right under your mouth. After spending last night straining my eyes in PSE, I'm going to change my tip to Always shoot in RAW.

When going inside to see some animals and then back out, I forgot to change some settings here and there. If I were shooting JPG than I would have lost some really good shots. I was shocked at what I could fix. Some of the worst pictures I took came out extremely good in PP. I may never shoot JPG again.

I ditto this ... I visit the Philly Zoo fairly often since my son lives in Philly and there are lots of inside and outside opportunities there. I have forgotten to change settings too and was thankful I had shot in raw.

Another tip would be to use the long end of a telephoto lens with large aperature so you have a fairly narrow depth of field to render fences between you and the animals invisible. There was a chain link fence I shot thru to get this pic but you wouldnt know the fence is there. Shot at ISO 500, 1/2500sec, f6.3 and 150mm (on a 80-200 kit lens). Its one of my favorite pics I have from there
536958225_A59zQ-XL.jpg

Our zoo has photographer days. On those days, they let photographers in at 7:00 AM (instead of the normal 9:00 AM opening). They set up two photo ops for the photographers. Photographers are also welcome to roam freely if they don't want to stay around the photo op. They also provide breakfast and have a speaker make a presentation. I haven't been yet, but I plan to go next weekend. The charge is $40 for non-members and $30 for members.

I'm going to go with a 300mm on an APS-C camera and a 70-200 zoom on a FF camera. I may also bring a wide angle to swap on for wider shots or for use indoors. I might also bring a really fast prime for indoor shots, but I doubt it. I'll might bring extenders for the 300mm, but I doubt it. I'll definitely bring a tripod for the 300. I'll also bring a polarizer.

I'm thinking that I'm going to pass on the animals peeing shots, but that's just me.

I love shooting at the zoo (photos that is! lol). One of these days I'll manage to go without kids..... Usually I have my 2 (rarely only 1 of them) with me....yesterday & today it was with 40 kids....my DD had an overnight field trip to the zoo (we slept in the dolphin pavilion). It was nice to be there this morning before the crowd of regular field trippers got there, when the outside animals were more alert & active before the heat of the day. I was really pleased with some of my shots. But getting the pics uploaded will have to wait until another day.....when I've actually had some sleep & can think properly! lol It would be awesome if our zoo offered photographer days so I could get this kind of chance without the sleep deprivation....lol

Raw is the only way to go, EVER

I did the Photo Day at the zoo this morning. It was fun. Not a lot of great pictures, but it was a good experience. The only negative was that the group I went with were all Nikon shooters.

Here are a some shots from the day:

860856442_3gNNJ-L.jpg

860865108_2zjte-L.jpg

860863911_f2mcu-L.jpg

860860156_4tFDC-L.jpg

860856314_SW2ua-L.jpg

860855307_gdqNq-L.jpg

The rest of the shots are here.

Those are some really nice shots Mark! So did you find that the animals were indeed more active during the morning?

You hear that a lot on these boards but you don't really get it till there's that first picture that you can really save and turn it into a WOW picture. Now I'm a believer :thumbsup2

funny thing is I used to be on the other side of the fence, believing that If I could get the shot right in cameraa, why would I need raw,

then I shot a sweet 16 party in a very difficult lighting situation, all black room, only lights were colored spots. after a few test shots decided to shoot raw,, did a quick batch process to jpeg, pics were bad, tried fixing a few and was not having much luck, opened raw and processing was easy and pics turned out great, will never take camera setting of raw again

The animals were much more active in the morning.

One lesson that I learned was to pay more attention to aspect ratios. I used to view my pictures on screen and make slideshows with them at their native aspect ratio (6x4). Lately, I've been reformatting then in a 16x9 aspect ratio (blue and green areas below) for display on TVs. Now that I'm printing, I've been reformatting in 14x11 (yellow and green areas below).

861328937_aWegN-S.jpg

So the lesson that I've learned is to leave more space so that you have more aspect ratio options. I've "learned" this several times during my photography hobby. Hopefully this time it will stick.

Incidentally, I've been using the content aware fill capability of CS5 to help with this problem. If cropping to my desired aspect ratio cuts off too much on the short side, I extend my canvas so that I have room on the sides. I fill the new canvas with the content aware fill. You can do the same sort of thing in CS4 using content aware scaling, but I find it easier with CAF.

There were some concerns in earlier threads that CAF will make it too easy to fake pictures, remove watermarks, etc. Having used it a while, I think those fears are overblown. It's much easier than doing a lot of cloning, but I rarely get a near-perfect result with it. I always go back and use the clone and healing tools to touch things up.

You should have seen my trunk on the way to the zoo. It's a good thing I wasn't rear-ended. We had a 7D, 5D, D300, D300S, D700, and D3 for camera bodies. For lenses, we had a pair of 70-200 f/2.8s, a 300 f/2.8, a 400 f/2.8, and a 200-400 f4. We also had 2 Gitzo CF tripods, 1 Gitzo CF monopod, and an RRS tripod.

Here are links to a couple of the other guy's shots:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/15402

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=15416

http://noake.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Houston-Zoo-2010-5-8/12116405_vQcEy#861268257_bRJLd

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter