photo/video release

beachbunny

DIS Veteran
I was reviewing my confirmation packet and reading the paragraph on photo/video release. It seems like if I check the "yes" box, Disney can use my likeness, voice, etc. and I don't get anything in return? For those who have gone on past AbD trips and checked the "yes" box, is there something more to this? And why would you check the "yes" or the "no" box?

It is a standard permission form that even other companies use. Your permission is needed the same way it is needed by the newspaper or TV channel to do an interview or take photos.

So if I'm not interested in being in any AbD promotional ads, I can safely check "no"? It won't affect the photopass pictures they take or anything else, will it?

I don't know what the policy statement is. If you check no, they can't use photos with you in them. I don't know if that means they won't take photos of you or not.

I was reviewing my confirmation packet and reading the paragraph on photo/video release. It seems like if I check the "yes" box, Disney can use my likeness, voice, etc. and I don't get anything in return? For those who have gone on past AbD trips and checked the "yes" box, is there something more to this? And why would you check the "yes" or the "no" box?

That little box to check isn't on our 2008 agreement for the Viva Italia tour. In fact the whole paragraph on Picture/Video Release is new.

That paragraph may mean that there is a Disney photographer coming to take pictures. I don't think I've ever seen an ABD Guide's photo make it onto the brochure.

That paragraph may mean that there is a Disney photographer coming to take pictures. I don't think I've ever seen an ABD Guide's photo make it onto the brochure.
Well, but that may be because they never had a waiver before. Maybe they've seen some Guide pictures that they wished they could have used, and figured if folks signed a waiver, they could do that.

Sayhello

The paragraph was on the paperwork I signed in April for our June China trip. There was no official Disney photographer. The pictures in the brochure - for our trip anyway, did not include any actual ABD travelers. I am sure Disney would like to be able to publish promotional materials with actual ABD travelers in them.

BTW, I checked "yes". My dd appeared in a picture on her school's website a few years ago. It's still there. DS in on an anti-bullying poster in the school district. It just makes them feel a little special to be in a picture that a lot of people see. If I had checked the "no" box on their school forms, they wouldn't have that feeling of specialness.

The paragraph was on the paperwork I signed in April for our June China trip. There was no official Disney photographer. The pictures in the brochure - for our trip anyway, did not include any actual ABD travelers. I am sure Disney would like to be able to publish promotional materials with actual ABD travelers in them.

BTW, I checked "yes". My dd appeared in a picture on her school's website a few years ago. It's still there. DS in on an anti-bullying poster in the school district. It just makes them feel a little special to be in a picture that a lot of people see. If I had checked the "no" box on their school forms, they wouldn't have that feeling of specialness.
Disney is partnering with JC Penny on a Backstage Magic ABD Tour Giveaway. The advertisement includes 2 pictures of people from an actual ABD Backstage Magic tour. The pictures were taken by a professional Disney photographer. That's why I asked.

The website for the sweepstakes is at http://backstagemagicsweepstakes.com

Since I'm not interested in being in any promotional material, I just checked "no" and returned the paperwork.

On the ABD website, under the kids section, I noticed some pictures of people from the Knights and Lights tour that I took. So, they do use photos they take on the trip. Since they tend to take a lot of pictures of each family separately, it should be easy for them to determine which people checked "no" and which checked "yes."

Well, there was something in return for us.

On our recent Emerald Isle trip at our welcome dinner, one of the other adventurers introduced himself and explained he was a photographer for Disney and he would be taking pictures throughout the week for the upcoming new brochure. We had to sign a release. You could decline, but I don't think anyone did. Anyway, in return each famiily was given a $100 gift card. He was a very nice guy, unobtrusive and took pictures of families, kids, and guides throughout the week. So it was no big deal to have him along, and we were given a gift card in return.

And now I'm looking froward to seeing the new brochure!

Well, there was something in return for us.

On our recent Emerald Isle trip at our welcome dinner, one of the other adventurers introduced himself and explained he was a photographer for Disney and he would be taking pictures throughout the week for the upcoming new brochure. We had to sign a release. You could decline, but I don't think anyone did. Anyway, in return each famiily was given a $100 gift card. He was a very nice guy, unobtrusive and took pictures of families, kids, and guides throughout the week. So it was no big deal to have him along, and we were given a gift card in return.

And now I'm looking froward to seeing the new brochure!
I didn't get a gift card! So jealous.

They do this all the time at the parks -- at the last Food & Wine Festival they had a Disney photographer at several of the events we attended but they did ask for them to sign a release even though at the front of the park they indicated that they would be filming and taking pictures and if you objected you were warned. I was not the demographic they were looking for apparently so I didn't have to sign but I did see other people being asked to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter