Photopass at both DL and WDW

ehsmum

DIS Veteran
I know I asked this somewhere before but I want to double check that I've got it right.

We get to Disneyland on June 15th and arrive at Disneyworld two weeks later. Can I get the one photopass and use it at both? Do I need to pre-register or pay for it, or do I just get a card when I get to DL?

You can NOT use the same PhotoPass card at both parks. I believe that the card from DL is quite a bit cheaper than the WDW one.

Yes, the PhotoPass system is the same at both WDW and Disney (and the World of Disney store in Manhattan, for that matter). Simply enter your PhotoPass cards from both places into the same account and all of the pics from both cards will be in your account.

However, don't bother using the same PhotoPass cards at both places. You can enter as many PhotoPass cards into a PhotoPass account as you want, so get new cards at each place.

Getting pics from both trips into your account at the same time can be tricky if your trips are close to 30 days apart. Here is a sample timeline from another post that may help to explain it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCAD
The CD will contain all of the pics that are in your account at the time it's burned, so as long as you can get the pics from both trips into the account at the same time when you finalize the CD order, they will all be on the CD.

PhotoPass pics will stay in the system for up to 30 days without being claimed (i.e. entered into an account) after they are taken. So the pics you get taken on 8/24 will expire on 9/23, the pics taken on 8/25 will expire on 9/24, et cetera. This means that you will have to enter the PhotoPass card from your first trip into your account before 9/23 so none of the pics expire.

When you enter the PhotoPass card from the first trip into your PhotoPass account, the pics are considered "claimed", and the countdown for ALL of the pics on that card resets to 30 days. If you enter the card from your first trip into your account on 9/22, ALL of the pics on that card will then reset to 30 days, and will be available in your PhotoPass account until 10/22. This will give you a narrow window of time to enter the pics from your second trip before the pics from the first trip expire, and finalize your CD order.

When you get home from your second trip, IMMEDIATELY add the PhotoPass card from the second trip to your account and make any modifications to your pics that you want (i.e. add borders or signatures or crop).

The CD will contain all of the PhotoPass pics in your account at the time it's burned, so if you finalize the CD order before the pics from your first trip expire on 10/22, it will have the pics from both trips on it.

FYI - Be sure to make note of the numbers of both of your PhotoPass cards in a safe place where they won't get lost. This is especially important for the card from the first trip, since you'll be hanging onto it for a few weeks before entering into your account. You wouldn't want to lose it! Make note of the card number as soon as you get it at WDW; take a digital pic of the back with your own camera, or write the number in your autograph book, or note it on your cell phone, or write it down on a slip of paper and put it in your wallet with an important card like your license or ATM card.

TIMELINE:
8/24-9/3 - Trip 1

9/22 - Add pics from Trip 1 to your account before they expire, add borders and graphics and do any cropping. Expiration of pics from Trip 1 will reset to 10/22

10/10-10/13 - Trip 2

10/14 - Add Add pics from Trip 2 to your account before they expire, add borders and graphics and do any cropping. Expiration of pics from Trip 2 will reset to 11/13

10/21 - Finalize CD order before pics from Trip 1 expire

10/22 - Pics from Trip 1, added to your account on 9/22, will expire and be deleted from account.

11/13 - Pics from Trip 2, added to your account on 10/14, will expire and be deleted from account.

Thanks Kalice. That's the info I was looking for :).

Our trips are a little closer together then the example so I should be able to claim all the photos at once after our WDW as we'll still be within the 30 days of the first pic being taken. We'll have a laptop with us so I should be able to do that over there, and then get the CD when I get home.

We were at WDW from 2-14 Nov 09 and then DL from 17-30 Nov 09. We used the one card for both parks without any problems. You can, however, use more than one if you wish (I think you could use about 29 different cards if you really wanted to and could keep track of them all). We were given a separate card at Mickey's Christmas Party (WDW) but the photo shop there transferred those photos to our 'everyday' card for us without any hassle.

There was no need to pre-purchase anything. When you get home upload the card number/s to your account and go from there in terms of editing, ordering, etc.

The price you pay is based on the last place the card is used. Because we used the card at DL last we were charged the DL price for the disc, and that was cheaper than if we'd done it the other way round and gone to WDW last, which I see you are. If the same rule applies then I believe it'll cost you more as WDW is the last place the card is used.

The photopass site sometimes has specials. I can't remeber the details now, but I did score a great discount, which certainly made it worth my while.

There was no need to pre-purchase anything. When you get home upload the card number/s to your account and go from there in terms of editing, ordering, etc.

:lmao: No you don't have to prepurchase anything but if there is a special which requires prepurchase to receive it and you know you want to get a photopass cd then you would be somewhat crazy to not prepurchase the CD before you go. There is a prepurchase price available for both Disneyland and Disney World from time to time. If anybody is going to WDW and prefer to pay the $129 price on return rather than buying it the day before you go (or months before, I have already prepurchased for WDW in September) for $99.95 then that is your choice :rotfl: I prefer the $29.95 in my pocket as you are getting exactly the same thing.

Our price in December/Jan this year was a $15 discount. Disneyland doesn't always have prepurchase but they do have specials which are often posted on the Disneyland board. The Disneyland CD is $59.95, so with the prepurchase it was $45.95 (Bargain!) They did also have a discount for $15 too with a code in Dec/Jan which you entered on checkout.

When you prepurchase the CD, a credit for a CD is added to your photopass account, so when you enter your cards and are finished editing and want to order your CD. You add your CD to the cart and then your credit is applied and you just pay the postage (which was $10 in January) :thumbsup2

Forgot to mention. If anybody does prepurchase the CD, once you have, if you go and decide not to use it, they will not refund it. So if you prepurchase it's important to know that you do definately want to get the CD.

Thanks so much for that! I can't see anywhere on the Disney site about using one account for both resorts though. If that price is for WDW, can I still use the card at Disneyland as well?

Yes you can use the one account for both resorts. We have used the one photopass account and got photos for both WDW and DL. The cards are the same at both parks and as others have said you can use the one card at both or get a new card at DL or WDW as you can register as many cards as you want to your photopass account.

You can even reuse the card on another visit years down the track, but it's just as easy to get a new card.

One thing to remember, which you may already know, is that the photos only stay on the card for 30 days and then they will be removed. So if you are going early in your trip and will not be home until after 30 days from when the first photo was taken, then you may want to login and register the card to your photopass account and claim the photos before that 30 days is up so you don't lose any. You can always buy an extension to keep the photos on your photopass account if you need longer to alter the photos and order the CD.

Thanks dollarmite and aussietravellers :). Dollarmite - I think it was your post that I read earlier in the year that made me think I could use the one account for both DL and WDW :thumbsup2 As aussietravellers said, the reason I want to prepurchase is to get the discounted price. Now I just have to decide whether to just order the CD or get the photobook special as well. Has anyone ordered the photobook before?

Thanks dollarmite and aussietravellers :). Dollarmite - I think it was your post that I read earlier in the year that made me think I could use the one account for both DL and WDW :thumbsup2 As aussietravellers said, the reason I want to prepurchase is to get the discounted price. Now I just have to decide whether to just order the CD or get the photobook special as well. Has anyone ordered the photobook before?

If you are going to DL after WDW, then from what dollarmite said, you would pay the DL price, which at it's most expensive is $59.95, where as the WDW one is $129.95 or $99.95 with the prepurchase discount. That link I posted above is for the WDW prepurchase only, I am not sure if there are any Disneyland specials at the monent.

I would go to the photopass website and ask them the question, that you are going to both in one trip, finishing at DL, what price is the CD, DL or WDW. I have filled in the online enquiry form before with questions and they get back to you pretty quickly (in a day or two). You don't want to do the WDW prepurchase when you could get Disneyland price and then if there was a special on the Disneyland price (and there was in Dec/Jan this year) then you may get it even cheaper if you can buy the Disneyland CD.

I love photopass :lovestruc

No we are going to DL first (Jun 15-17) then WDW 2 weeks later (Jun 30 - Jul 8) so I'm thinking we have to pay the WDW price. I'm just not sure whether to just pre-order the CD or go for the photo book as well.

No we are going to DL first (Jun 15-17) then WDW 2 weeks later (Jun 30 - Jul 8) so I'm thinking we have to pay the WDW price. I'm just not sure whether to just pre-order the CD or go for the photo book as well.

It's a hard one! The first time I used photopass at WDW, I did the prepurchase of the CD and the book. When I got home, I didn't find 30 days enough. One day I had spent hours working on the book and then something happened (can't remember now, my computer had a fit and internet explorer shut down) AND I HADN'T SAVED IT :sad: I was so upset, what sort of idiot doesn't save their work as they go along? Ah that would be me! :lmao:

Anyway before I knew it, the time was up and I had to order (as you only have 30 days from when you upload the photos to purchase) and at that time there wasn't an extension available to purchase. So I just threw photos into the spaces and it wasn't that good, not like the original that I had created and not saved.

So this time I have just prepurchased the CD and not the book, but I was considering it, but then remembered not having time. I have a Mac and there is a program in iphoto to create photo books and you order them and they post them to you. A friend of mine has done some and they are fantastic. There are also other companies that do them now, Harvey Norman I think and a company called Momento (if you dont have a Mac). So I decided not to get the book this time and do one another way in my own time.

But the book was still cute and it's a great memory of the trip, it's just is a bit rushed and not as cute as the original I created.

To reiterate what others have said, we too used 1 photopass card at both parks. We got a MVMCP card and used it at DL as well as WDW. What we did was when the first photos got close to the 30 day mark, logged on and activated the account which meant the oldest photos had another 30 days up our sleeves and did our order when we got home. Didn't prepurchase and paid $60 for the disk. We had to get 2 disks (for price of 1) because we put borders around every one of our 120 photos. Photopass was great and every chance we got we got a photo. The trick I think is to get a photo taken each time you see a photographer, the more the merrier.

So I went ahead and pre-purchased the CD and Photo Book for 149.99. I hope that's a good deal! Thanks for all the responses :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter