Pictures from Disney's Summer Movies

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Since someone brought up the subject of Disney’s summer’s movies, I thought I’d pass along that the FilmForce site over at IGN.com has posted some stills and plot information from the most eagerly awaited films.

For stills from ‘Lilo and Stitch’, ‘Country Bears’ and ‘Treasure Planet’, go to http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/317223p1.html

For some publicly pictures and some plot information on ‘Reign of Fire’, go to http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/317222p1.html

The first page has a link to their section in ‘Lilo’ which includes a lot of plot information (some of which should be considered as plot spoilers, so no complaining if you can’t control yourself and you take a look). I have finally seen some scenes from this film – and I am truly excited about it. It really is a departure from the typical Disney mold, but a change that succeeds in recapturing the storytelling that really is the “magic” of Disney films. There is one brief scene that has more pure filmmaking skill than Disney’s last half dozen animated features put together. No explosions, no technical wizardry, no non-stop Saturday Night Live banter – just someone building a sandcastle all by himself and seeing all the emotion the character is feeling. This may very well be the Feature Animation group’s last chance to save itself from oblivion, and from what I’ve seen hope still lives. I will shortly be blackmailing several associates to get me into a full screening and I’ll report back.

The other films are more problematic. The FilmForce site has the first pictures I’ve seen of the bears from ‘Country Bears’ and they look good. The industry “buzz” is that the film looks great, has a lot of country music cameos, but the story is weak and unoriginal (there’s not much past the VH-1 “band in trouble” cliché and the novelty of having bears live in the human world a la the Muppet movies).

‘Treasure Planet’ remains a troubled production and its current release date is pegged for Thanksgiving 2002 (okay, it's not really a summer movie but it was supposed to be). People are trying to hype up the movie as being “this time we got ‘Atlantis’ right”, but with the movie screens at the time being filled with ‘’Harry Potter 2’ and ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers’ I doubt that sailing ships in space are going to have the coolness factor the film is counting on to succeed.

And ‘Reign of Fire’ – well, Matthew McConaughy sports some cool tattoos. Beyond that……..

Nice pics. I think Lilo and Stich and Country Bears look pretty good, but I'm still unsure about Treasure Plannet. I hope it will not be another "Atlantis".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter