Pixie Dusted in SE Asia TR

How lovely that the hotel went to all that effort for your anniversary.

You can tell by the tone of your TR that Vietnam was more special to you than Cambodia.

I will have to visit Vietnam one day. I'm just not sure when. I wish my bucket list wasn't so long.

Another great update. That's a lovely room you got. And such nice extras thrown in as well. Happy Anniversary indeed.

Thanks PIO :goodvibes

Great update. So far Vietnam doesn't really look like how I pictured it. It looks better! Really beautiful photos. :goodvibes

You may well be picturing Saigon...

Which I might add was also amazing, but in an entirely different, chaotic way. Definitely not somewhere to go for relaxation :rotfl:

How lovely that the hotel went to all that effort for your anniversary.

You can tell by the tone of your TR that Vietnam was more special to you than Cambodia.

I will have to visit Vietnam one day. I'm just not sure when. I wish my bucket list wasn't so long.

Yep, Vietnam is pretty special to us. Cambodia was nice too, just didn't have that amazing vibe that we got in Vietnam. It was a great surprise on this trip actually. We both knew that we loved Vietnam on our honeymoon, but only realised when we went back there just how much we love it!

Sorry, but you'll have to wait another couple of days for your next fix. My SIL is getting married tomorrow (yes, I know it's Monday tomorrow), and we've had house guests since Friday. I've just managed to find half an hour this morning to catch up on the DIS!

Sorry, but you'll have to wait another couple of days for your next fix. My SIL is getting married tomorrow (yes, I know it's Monday tomorrow), and we've had house guests since Friday. I've just managed to find half an hour this morning to catch up on the DIS!

Enjoy the wedding celebrations. Hope it all goes well. :goodvibes

Hue

We started the day with brekky at the hotel. This one didn't have a buffet, but there was a good variety on the menu, and there was a little fruit and juice station. I think we had omelettes.

We hadn't been rushing this morning, and by the time we were ready to go out, it was about 10:30am. We were planning to do the Citadel in the morning, then see some tombs. The hotel staff told us we'd probably struggle to do all that in one day (we had no idea how far the tombs were from the city centre and each other), and suggested we do the tombs today and the Citadel tomorrow (we would have most of the day to ourselves as we were catching a late train). She organised a driver for us.

Our first destination was Khai Dinh Tomb. There were lots of great details outside.

I loved these 'chess pieces'.

There were some nice views from the higher levels too.

The inside of the tomb was incredible. There was no photography allowed inside the tomb, so I've borrowed some from the internet. The whole inside was filled from wall to wall with these amazingly detailed 3D mosaics. There was no surface left uncovered.

The ceiling was completely covered in this intricate pattern in black and white.

I was disappointed to see so many people taking photos despite all the signs advising no photography. I thought it was pretty disrespectful. Rant over.

The next stop was Minh Mang Tomb. It was a completely different style, really spread out in a park like setting with a nice lake.

It also had some great details.

By the time we were done there, we were well and truly ready for lunch.

Continued...

We stopped for lunch at an ancient garden house. The scenery was spectacular.

Everything else was average. We both ordered noodle dishes, but our orders were mixed up. The plates were so laden with food that after we'd both eaten as much as we could, it looked like we'd hardly touched it (especially for me as I was still feeling a little sensitive and couldn't eat that much). I felt ridiculous being served that much food in a country where people struggle to survive. And it was expensive too for Vietnam.

After lunch we were driven back to the city for our boat ride up the Perfume River to the pagoda. It was easy to see that the boat driver and his wife lived on the boat.

As we drifted up the river, the boat driver's wife started setting up a pop-up type shop in the middle of the boat. It was kind of awkward as there was no way to avoid it, so we ended up just buying a set of chopsticks and a couple of knick knacks.

We arrived at the pagoda and the boat docked while we explored.

When we were done, the boat dropped us back off at a point of the river that was close to our hotel.

After a short rest in our room, we headed back out for dinner. By this point in time, we both agreed that a pizza would go down nicely. It did.

On the way back to the hotel, we passed by the river again to check out the lighting on the bridge at night.

Hue - Phong Nha

Today was our last day in Hue. I'm going to digress for a minute because I'd really like to encourage everyone to visit Hue if you're in the area. In most of my research, the general consensus was that it was ok to skip Hue, and most people seemed to think there wasn't much to it. On the contrary, we really enjoyed our time there. We enjoyed the city as well as our tours, it was easy to get around, people were friendly. It's also very easy to take the train up from Da Nang. I would definitely recommend making the trip for a couple of nights if you're staying in Hoi An. Hue even has its own airport, so you could easily fly into Da Nang, then fly out of Hue, or vice versa.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

We were going to use our last morning to explore the Citadel. It was about a 20 minute walk from our hotel, just across the river.

That bridge was very busy!

Unfortunately we didn't have a very good map with us, but I didn't think it would be too hard to find. I was wrong.

We managed to find our way in past the first wall, but didn't really know where to go from there. I suspected it was to the left. At that point we were approached by a cyclo driver, who told us to go right. He followed us as we wandered along, getting more and more lost and heading back towards the outer edge. Eventually DH asked if he could take us to the Citadel (which I'm sure was his plan all along). He told us that the Citadel wouldn't open until later, but he could take us for a ride around the area. At that point we were getting grumpy and my feet were starting to hurt, and it was starting to rain, so we negotiated a decent price with him and set off.

We started off on the back streets along the very edge of the wall.

The driver stopped at one of the watch towers for us to climb up and take photos.

There were some interesting things to see along the way.

The next stop was a pagoda with a view towards a bomb shelter. The Citadel area was heavily bombed during the Vietnam war.

Next he dropped us off at some pretty gardens. There seemed to be some high end shops among the gardens, but nobody seemed that interested in us, so we just wandered around.

The rain had definitely set in by that stage, and we were amused to see locals wearing special ponchos that covered their whole scooter/motorbike with a little see-through patch over the headlight. So clever!

Eventually we passed the actual Citadel area. It clearly was open and there were many taxis, buses and generally people entering.

The last stop on our short tour was the museum. There were a heap of war remnants outside, but inside was mainly artifacts from the palace. There was no photography allowed, and we had to take off our shoes to enter.

I was slightly annoyed to see that we had finished up the tour pretty close to where we'd come in, and that if we had have turned left instead of right, it only would have been a 5 minute walk to the Citadel which was clearly open. Still, the tour had been great, and we'd seen things that not many people would have.

Unfortunately we had to head back to the hotel by then, so we didn't have time for the actual Citadel as well. That will just have to wait until next time. We got the cyclo driver to take us back across the river, thinking it would be an easy enough walk from there.

Back at the hotel we picked up our luggage and waited about 5 minutes for our pre-ordered taxi. Then we were on our way to the train station. It was only about a 10 minute drive, maybe 15 max. We arrived with plenty of time to spare, and not much to do! There was a little waiting area for people, much like an airport lounge. DH went for a short walk and brought back some pho that we shared for lunch, and the time went fairly quickly just people watching.

There were no announcements or anything, but eventually people started lining up at the entrance to the platform. It was about the right time for the train, so we joined them, thinking it must have arrived. It hadn't, we were just changing waiting areas.

We bought some drinks and snacks for the trip from a vendor on the platform, and amused ourselves watching the staff prepare for the train.

Eventually it did arrive of course!

It was a nightmare trying to get on - every man for himself! DH and I were patiently waiting for everyone to get off first, but that didn't leave us with much time at all to get us and our luggage on board. Luckily we had assigned seats, so at least we didn't have to worry about that. There were overhead luggage shelves, but if our cases were any bigger they wouldn't have fit. We had booked soft seats, which were comfortable enough for day time travel.

The train itself was a weird mixture of kind of dirty and broken (seats, trays etc), but modern (power points, TV etc). There were power points and coat hooks on alternating rows, and our row had a coat hook. There was just one TV for the whole carriage (like an old school plane) and was obviously in Vietnamese, but one show that I ended up watching had English subtitles. Unfortunately with the rain and the late afternoon light fading to night, there wasn't much to see from the windows.

The train was very busy until the first stop, Dong Ha, which was about half way distance wise, but only about a third of the way time wise. Most people got off there and nobody really got on. The train didn't stop for long at all, and DH and I were a bit worried about how we were going to go getting off at our stop with our luggage. We came up with a plan for DH to get off first with his bag, then I would pass mine to him. It worked well. For anyone interested, the toilet was in pretty good condition, but was out of toilet paper. I've learnt to always carry tissues with me in Vietnam.

It was about a 3 hour journey. I'd alternated between watching the TV (they had a Vietnamese travel show on!) and working on my lappie (we pinched the power point from the seat in front of us at Dong Hoi station), and the time had kind of dragged. I highly recommend taking something specific to do on the train.

Eventually we got to Dong Hoi, and managed to get ourselves and our luggage off the train. We found our driver and got settled in the car while he went to wait for the others. We were joined by an Austrian couple.

The drive went fairly quickly, and we were all pleased to finally arrive at our destination for the next few days, Phong Nha Lake House Resort (don't let the 'resort' part of the name fool you). As this area doesn't get much tourism yet, there are no real hotels. This place was more of a hostel with private rooms (although I believe there is a dorm if you want one).

We checked ourselves in, and carried our own luggage to our room. I had fairly low expectations of the room, and was pleasantly surprised. It had everything we needed, plenty of room, and the bed was comfy. There was only a tiny tank on the water heater for the shower, which we had to turn on a few hours before we wanted a shower (before bed worked well) so we had to be careful not to run out of hot water.

After checking out the room, we went back upstairs to the communal bar/restaurant/lounging around type area for some dinner. Food and drinks here were definitely hit and miss. A lot of the time they didn't have the ingredients for the stuff we ordered, so we had to always make sure we had several back up options! The staff were definitely more friendly than professional too.

I should also mention, we got the train tickets through our hotel in Hue. We visited a few of the travel agents in the area, but they all tried to talk us out of taking the train, insisting that a bus would be better! When we asked at the hotel, they were happy to book them for us. There was a small surcharge for doing it that way, but the tickets were so cheap anyway it didn't really matter. The only way to avoid the surcharge is to buy the tickets from the train station, which seemed like a lot of hassle to save about 50 cents.

Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park

As with most meals, breakfast was hit and miss at this hotel. And unlike all our other hotels, it was not included with the room rate. I believe on this morning they had run out of orange juice. Also pineapple juice. And any other sort of juice. I just had water.

Today we were off on a tour of the national park. The hotel does advertise a minimum of 4 people for any given tour, but we soon realised when our little bus arrived that it would be just us and our guide today. The national park wasn't far away, maybe 15 minutes. I got very excited when I started seeing the amazing limestone karsts from the bus.

The morning activity was a trip to Phong Nha cave itself. As it is a river cave, we took a boat. We were free to wander around while our guide organised the boat for us.

The guide took FOREVER! I was really starting to wonder if he was coming back! When he finally did re-appear, he apologised and explained that he was waiting for someone to share the boat with. Nobody turned up, so it was just us again! The boats were very orderly, and worked on a first in first out basis. We got in the boat at the front of the line, and as we were taking off, all the other boats moved up one. It was much better than having dozens of boat drivers all trying to convince us to go with them!

Unfortunately our boat seemed a little rickety, and I was a little nervous. I felt better when I realised how shallow the river was though, and felt pretty confident that even if the boat went down, I would be able to save myself! There were plenty of life jackets on board too. Apart from that, the boat ride was pretty spectacular.

It took about 20 minutes to get to the entrance of the cave. We were invited to use the facilities before continuing, as it would be our last chance. We decided we could wait until the end. Our boat driver disembarked briefly to get information on the water level or something.

As we entered the cave, the driver turned off the engine and started paddling. It was only then I realised that there were 2 drivers onboard, as the other one made his way to the front of the boat with another paddle! Apparently the boats are not allowed to use their engines in the cave to protect the animals living in there.

We paddled quite a way in to the cave, then turned around and paddled back out again. Along the way we only saw a couple of other boats. Our guide told us we were very lucky, as sometimes it gets very crowded and some tour guides use microphones which really ruin the peace and quiet. Also, in the wet season, boats are not allowed into the cave in case the water levels rise and they get stuck!

We paddled nearly to the end of the cave, but docked on a little beach just before the exit. We got out there and our guide showed us around the little dry cave area called Fairy Cave. There were some pretty spectacular formations in there. They have recently replaced all the lighting with plain white lights, as they were advised by some environmental organisation that coloured lights could damage the cave. I think it looks better with plain lighting anyway.

There was another group just ahead of us, who we watched get back in their boat and set off back to the dock.

And after a quick bathroom stop, it was time for us to do the same.

Feeling pretty relieved that the boat had managed to stay afloat the whole time and bring us back safely, we got back into the little bus and carried on our journey.

Beautiful! That's an amazing tour and what wonderful caves. Glad you got a nonbusy day to visit.

Beautiful updates. I am really interested in Hue after seeing your photos. I also like your blue dress. :goodvibes

Have you visited the Reed Flute Cave in China? I wonder how it would compare for you. I think touring by boat would give these caves an edge, but the RFC is pretty spectacular.

Beautiful updates. I am really interested in Hue after seeing your photos. I also like your blue dress. :goodvibes

Have you visited the Reed Flute Cave in China? I wonder how it would compare for you. I think touring by boat would give these caves an edge, but the RFC is pretty spectacular.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to China yet. Planning a trip next year when SDL opens. Where is the Reed Flute Cave?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter