Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

As others have noted, parts of upstate NY can be pretty cool during the summer. Adirondacks are the first thing coming to mind for those parts.

Personally, we like the mountain towns in the Rockies during the summer. Estes Park, just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my faves. Anything outside of Yellowstone and Grand Teton, if you can find lodging, is also pretty nice. If Grand Teton, I'd focus on Jackson/Jackson Hole. If Yellowstone, most people opt for West Yellowstone if staying outside of the park, but I prefer Gardiner. Cody is also an option, but Cody gets a little warmer and Cody is more of a drive in and out of the park. Anything around Glacier in Montana should also offer nice temps, but it books up really early so I'd get right on it if that's of interest. Crossing the border into Canada and looking at Banff and Calgary is also a thought.

I was just going to mention Estes Park. We loved it there and with the higher elevation its cooler.

I was just going to mention Estes Park. We loved it there and with the higher elevation its cooler.

It's definitely one of my favorite places. It seems like it's always 10-15 degrees cooler than down in the Denver area. I love going up into RMNP and seeing the leftover snowfields in the middle of summer. We were up there a couple of years ago during a thunderstorm and it was cold enough at the Alpine Visitor Center that we were getting sleet.

Quebec City is a family favorite. Charming, great food, and usually between 65-75.
I'm going there in July so it's reassuring to hear that it's not deathly hot. I've never been to Canada before and really loved the vibe. Looking into doing some day trips as well - specifically to l’Île d’Orléans and maybe Montreal if I can handle the train ride.

I will also throw out Colorado. If you are in a higher elevation town it’s quite comfortable. Estes park, brekenridge, vail, keystone, telluride, cripple creek come to mind. Honestly, even if you’re in cities not in the mountains it’s bearable. There is no humidity so even if it’s 90 as long as you aren’t in direct sunlight it’s usually comfortable. The evenings are usually really nice.

I have family in grand junction. First time we visited it was somewhere around 105. We sat on his covered patio that had a fan and it was more than comfortable. Not so much when we were sitting with no cover by the hotel pool though haha.

I'm going there in July so it's reassuring to hear that it's not deathly hot. I've never been to Canada before and really loved the vibe. Looking into doing some day trips as well - specifically to l’Île d’Orléans and maybe Montreal if I can handle the train ride.
Love Montreal too. Quebec City is more picturesque, though. It’s the closest North America gets to a European vibe, I think. If you’re in Montreal and you want a meal you’ll never forget, check out Joe Beef.

Love Montreal too. Quebec City is more picturesque, though. It’s the closest North America gets to a European vibe, I think. If you’re in Montreal and you want a meal you’ll never forget, check out Joe Beef.
Yeah that's why I picked Quebec City vs. Montreal as my home base for my trip. I did see that there is a very early morning train that goes to Montreal so I'm leaning towards doing a day trip. I'll look into Joe Beef, thanks!

Northern New England. Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire. There are beautiful lakes and mountains, there are beautiful ocean beaches (not in Vermont) and its not as hot and humid as most other places. Lots of outdoor activities. Lots of places to rent a cottage and relax.

Acadia Park in Maine is fabulous in August
Newport RI very pretty
The Finger lake region in NY
Ireland and Scotland
The pacific NW
So many places my fav that time of year is northern California

Wherever you choose have fun planning ;)

So for this year momentarily leaning into a drive in New England or, I know this is out of left field, but what about Iceland???

Just watched an episode of Somebody Feed Phil in Iceland (which was adorable BTW) and that puffy winter coat in the summer looked like a nice break from the 100 degree high humidity I know will be here in August. Anyone ever go?

So for this year momentarily leaning into a drive in New England or, I know this is out of left field, but what about Iceland???

Just watched an episode of Somebody Feed Phil in Iceland (which was adorable BTW) and that puffy winter coat in the summer looked like a nice break from the 100 degree high humidity I know will be here in August. Anyone ever go?
No advice, but had to say how excited I am that you mentioned Somebody Feed Phil. I don't know anyone else that watches it and I tout how wonderful it is every time that I can! He is just so enjoyable to watch!

Iceland is on my bucket list...what a cool place to go! My friend has gone and raves about it.

Just had a couple friends return last week from Iceland -and they loved it!

Have you considered Northern Minnesota?
We had a resort there for years and had lots of visitors who were trying to get away from the heat.
The 10,000 lakes (actually 11,800 but that doesn't sound as nice) are mostly in the northern part of the state, There are alot of national and state forests up here too and a lot of natural, wild land. Duluth, Mn. is a wonderful place to visit and staying on the North shore of Lake Superior is magical.
No one has mentioned N. Minnesota, so I thought I'd jump in. :)

Have you considered Northern Minnesota?
We had a resort there for years and had lots of visitors who were trying to get away from the heat.
The 10,000 lakes (actually 11,800 but that doesn't sound as nice) are mostly in the northern part of the state, There are alot of national and state forests up here too and a lot of natural, wild land. Duluth, Mn. is a wonderful place to visit and staying on the North shore of Lake Superior is magical.
No one has mentioned N. Minnesota, so I thought I'd jump in. :)
My DH was there years ago and came back saying that it was full of the sweetest population of people he ever met so I would love to go. I have been looking to all the Northern States but getting to some spots seems like such a long drive after a flight. Maybe if people in the know share travel tips of great stops along the way? Like is there a picturesque train that weaves through?

No advice, but had to say how excited I am that you mentioned Somebody Feed Phil. I don't know anyone else that watches it and I tout how wonderful it is every time that I can! He is just so enjoyable to watch!

Iceland is on my bucket list...what a cool place to go! My friend has gone and raves about it.
We love

We love Somebody Feed Phil and did watch the Iceland episode. As wonderful as it looks, I don't want to wear a winter coat in the summer either. 70 degrees, shorts and a hoodie is my ideal vacation weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter