• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning our first Disneyland trip - June or August?

Lindsey17

Mouseketeer
We've decided to take our first Disneyland trip next summer. We're thinking of going in either June or August and weren't sure, from a crowd standpoint, which would be the best time to go? I've tried looking at Touring Plans, but they don't go out that far yet. My son is typically done school the first week in June, but really depends on how bad our winter is. Any insight would be helpful!

So first off this is assuming that things will be 100% back to normal next summer, which I think is a pretty safe bet.

Both times of year will be really busy, its summer so tons of Families will be visiting. June will also have graduations celebration days almost every day. Personally I don't love visiting during graduation celebrations as its usually very busy and full of obnoxious teenagers. By August there shouldn't be any more grad celebrations but still lots of families getting in there summer vacation. If you go towards the end of august it might be a little less crowded during the week as California schools should be back in session by then.

So first off this is assuming that things will be 100% back to normal next summer, which I think is a pretty safe bet.

Both times of year will be really busy, its summer so tons of Families will be visiting. June will also have graduations celebration days almost every day. Personally I don't love visiting during graduation celebrations as its usually very busy and full of obnoxious teenagers. By August there shouldn't be any more grad celebrations but still lots of families getting in there summer vacation. If you go towards the end of august it might be a little less crowded during the week as California schools should be back in session by then.

Thanks. I figured both would be crowded, but we're taking our son out of school for a week in Dec to go to WDW so has to be during summer break unfortunately. Sounds like August may be our safer bet because I would agree with you that I'm not sure I want to visit and be surrounded by teenagers.

If things are normal by then...

I would say late June. By then usually grad trips are usually over, entertainment is up and going, and you have longer park hours. California has June Gloom, which makes the weather cooler, but not cold.

August can be hot.

I'm not sure about crowds, but it'll likely be hotter in August than in June, if that matters. June can be overcast whereas August is more likely to be full sun (and heat). It's not like Florida heat though.

Well we went to WDW in Sept and Aug before so if we made it through that, I'm going to assume we can deal with CA heat. I should probably bring extra sunscreen because from the little research I did it appears more is outside there than WDW.

If things are normal by then...

I would say late June. By then usually grad trips are usually over, entertainment is up and going, and you have longer park hours. California has June Gloom, which makes the weather cooler, but not cold.

August can be hot.

Oh good to know because of course my son's vote is June since it's sooner lol

How far into August? A lot of CA school districts (not the most local ones to DLR, but most of the rest of the state) go back pretty early in August. In the past, APs were unblocked again then, but that's not a thing anymore, so maybe crowds will be slightly better later in August? Hard to say.

Well we went to WDW in Sept and Aug before so if we made it through that, I'm going to assume we can deal with CA heat. I should probably bring extra sunscreen because from the little research I did it appears more is outside there than WDW.

Disneyland will NEVER be as bad as WDW for weather. If you can survive that, you can definitely deal with DLR. We used to live in Orange County (CA), and we've been to WDW in June and July - WOW. No comparison, even on Anaheim's hottest day.

Last edited:
... By August there shouldn't be any more grad celebrations but still lots of families getting in there summer vacation. If you go towards the end of august it might be a little less crowded during the week as California schools should be back in session by then.
Depending on how "back to normal" things are by next summer and how late in August, one thing for the OP to keep in mind is that HM traditionally goes down for the NBC overlay sometime around the third week of August and doesn't come back up until the first day of Halloween Time. This will only matter if DL actually goes back to the "normal" holiday decorating schedule. But it is something to keep in mind.

Depending on how "back to normal" things are by next summer and how late in August, one thing for the OP to keep in mind is that HM traditionally goes down for the NBC overlay sometime around the third week of August and doesn't come back up until the first day of Halloween Time. This will only matter if DL actually goes back to the "normal" holiday decorating schedule. But it is something to keep in mind.

Oh thank you for pointing that out. As big HM fans we would definitely be upset if we missed seeing the original. Our son usually starts school the week before Labor day so that would have been around the time we probably would have gone.

I personally would choose June and plan it for the week after Grad Nights end (if they have them). We have gone that week many times and the weather is decent and the crowds are light, for summer anyway.

I personally would choose June and plan it for the week after Grad Nights end (if they have them). We have gone that week many times and the weather is decent and the crowds are light, for summer anyway.
When do grad nights end this June? Curious to know if our visit (6/17-18) coincides with grad nights.

I would vote for August, though full disclosure never been in June. Mid to late August crowds were manageable but like some previous posters said it can be hot. Only thing to account for in August that I recall is rides like the Haunted Mansion go down later in the month to begin the Halloween overlay.

I say June, especially if you can go either right at the very beginning of June or the first few days of July.

Thinking a little more, if swimming is an important part of the vacation go for August. June can be kind of all over the place for temperatures, one day is low 70s then next day in the 90s and everywhere in between though it tends toward the cooler temps.

Thinking a little more, if swimming is an important part of the vacation go for August. June can be kind of all over the place for temperatures, one day is low 70s then next day in the 90s and everywhere in between though it tends toward the cooler temps.

Oh thanks for the tip. We wanted to hit the beach one day too, so maybe August is the best option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter