Please help allay my fears...HHN

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
We are heading to Universal and doing HHN for our first time ever on October 30th. My DH likes creepy/scary movies. I do not. At all. I'm a little nervous about going to HHN and being too scared to have fun. One of my biggest fears is that the scare actors will grab me or poke me.

Are they allowed to touch you? I really hope not. I think if I was grabbed, it would just send me over the edge :scared1:

They are not allowed to grab or poke you, no worries on that. I have accidentally been touched once, someone bumped into a scareactor who accidentally bumped into me. It was not intentional.
You can not touch them and they can not touch you.

I am not a huge horror movie fan, but I love HHN! The houses are lines are like conga lines. The scareactors do not get a reset like some of the smaller houses around my home.

I hope you enjoy it, the costumes/make up is fantastically done. We love to get a drink and watch people going through the scare zones, so much fun!!

You can not touch them and they can not touch you.

Yay!

I am not a huge horror movie fan, but I love HHN! The houses are lines are like conga lines. The scareactors do not get a reset like some of the smaller houses around my home.

I hope you enjoy it, the costumes/make up is fantastically done. We love to get a drink and watch people going through the scare zones, so much fun!!

Awesome, thanks!

If you like movies in general and appreciate the artistry that goes into creating set design etc. you will be blown away by the details of the HHN houses.

If you are a Potter fan step into the World of Harry Potter in Diagon Alley (which is open during HHN) and enjoy that experience. You will love it.

You will have a blast at HHN.

Wishing you a great trip and a lovely time at Universal pixiedust:

If you like movies in general and appreciate the artistry that goes into creating set design etc. you will be blown away by the details of the HHN houses.

I like that spin on it…I can definitely appreciate that!

If you are a Potter fan step into the World of Harry Potter in Diagon Alley (which is open during HHN) and enjoy that experience. You will love it.

Is DA different during HHN?

Wishing you a great trip and a lovely time at Universal pixiedust:

Thank you! :-)

Have a great trip! I like you was very scared for my first time last year. After I went through my first house which was American Horror I knew I would be fine. Like previously mentioned the congo lines worked great for me at the beginning, because you do not get every scare. That helped ease me into it and made me able to focus on the scenery and the totality of it instead of constantly looking at who was going to jump out at me. My friend on the other hand and I am sure a lot of others as well, wanted gaps in the congo line so they could get every scare. By the end of our two days there I would go first and pretend I was brave. Don't get me wrong it is scary, but there is so much going on other than the scares, that makes it awesome and enjoyable.
The scare zones I thought were more amusing than scary. The photo ops in those were great if you are into that, and I thought they were fun.
DA is the same as it is every other time as I remember. Except it was nearly empty the two times I was there. It is great to jump into, to take a break, get drinks, with little to no wait, go on Gringotts, bathroom, and then run right back into HHN.
So once again you will be fine, I tend to be the one that screams in the movie theater during a scary movie, when others remain quiet and while I did scream several times going to the houses I thought that I would be scared 100x more.

We weren't sure what to expect at out first HHN, so we booked an Unmasking the Horror tour on a day before we did the HHN event. That, in my opinion, is a great way to ease yourself in. It's expensive, but we really liked seeing the set design - there is so much detail.

Have a great trip! I like you was very scared for my first time last year. After I went through my first house which was American Horror I knew I would be fine. Like previously mentioned the congo lines worked great for me at the beginning, because you do not get every scare. That helped ease me into it and made me able to focus on the scenery and the totality of it instead of constantly looking at who was going to jump out at me. My friend on the other hand and I am sure a lot of others as well, wanted gaps in the congo line so they could get every scare. By the end of our two days there I would go first and pretend I was brave. Don't get me wrong it is scary, but there is so much going on other than the scares, that makes it awesome and enjoyable.
The scare zones I thought were more amusing than scary. The photo ops in those were great if you are into that, and I thought they were fun.
DA is the same as it is every other time as I remember. Except it was nearly empty the two times I was there. It is great to jump into, to take a break, get drinks, with little to no wait, go on Gringotts, bathroom, and then run right back into HHN.
So once again you will be fine, I tend to be the one that screams in the movie theater during a scary movie, when others remain quiet and while I did scream several times going to the houses I thought that I would be scared 100x more.

This is kind of what I was hoping! I'll be happy to be in the middle of a conga line :P Good to know that I can hide out in DA if it gets to be too much!

I hate horror movies. I will not watch them in the theatre or on my television. I had a BALL at HHN. I didn't find it scary at all, it was all just good fun.

Awesome! Sounds like me!

It's also lit up at night, which is a different experience walking around that you don't get during the day (since the parks seem to close before sunset, even on on HHN days)

I like that…plus lower crowds. Will definitely check it out!

We weren't sure what to expect at out first HHN, so we booked an Unmasking the Horror tour on a day before we did the HHN event. That, in my opinion, is a great way to ease yourself in. It's expensive, but we really liked seeing the set design - there is so much detail.

I wish we could afford to do that, but sadly, that's not in the budget this time. These three days of tickets at Universal (including HHN with EP) for two of us are costing us almost the same as our two Premium WDW Annual Passes!

The best thing you can do is NOT look scared, and look directly at the scare actors.

They tend to pick on timid types. They won't touch you, but they will chase you or jump at you if you're in the wrong place!

I had a werewolf over my shoulder on a bench once. Scared the crap out of me when I turned around!

And the houses are full of jump scares. Be prepared. But I'd add that a beer on the way in helps with nerves :rotfl: and you do get used to it after a couple of hours and it becomes very funny!

I just recently watched all these movies featured in HHN, expecting gross slasher themes. They weren't! If you familiarize yourself with the content, it will diminish the fear.

My dd works at US. My other dd and I are headed to Orlando the end of Oct, doing HHN on Halloween night. Now, eldest dd loves this stuff, I used to but it's not so much my 'thing' anymore. I do them and then tell the actors "Go scare someone else!". But youngest dd, team member at US, is a true wuss!!! She is ridiculously easy to scare, and hates being scared. So, we were iffy if she would join us. But, she did the Team Member preview...and said she made it through just fine, so will be joining us, as long as she doesn't get pulled in to work. But as of right now, Jimmy Fallon Race Through NY isn't open for those nights.
So, if she can make it through, it should be okay for you! Try looking at it through the artistry of the whole event.

The best thing you can do is NOT look scared, and look directly at the scare actors.

They tend to pick on timid types. They won't touch you, but they will chase you or jump at you if you're in the wrong place!

I had a werewolf over my shoulder on a bench once. Scared the crap out of me when I turned around!

And the houses are full of jump scares. Be prepared. But I'd add that a beer on the way in helps with nerves :rotfl: and you do get used to it after a couple of hours and it becomes very funny!

Yikes! I'll try to not look timid!

I just recently watched all these movies featured in HHN, expecting gross slasher themes. They weren't! If you familiarize yourself with the content, it will diminish the fear.

Oh my, I couldn't possibly watch any of those movies! :sad2::sad2::sad2:

I do them and then tell the actors "Go scare someone else!".

Does that actually work?

But youngest dd, team member at US, is a true wuss!!! She is ridiculously easy to scare, and hates being scared. So, we were iffy if she would join us. But, she did the Team Member preview...and said she made it through just fine, so will be joining us, as long as she doesn't get pulled in to work. But as of right now, Jimmy Fallon Race Through NY isn't open for those nights.
So, if she can make it through, it should be okay for you! Try looking at it through the artistry of the whole event.

Thanks, I'm going to focus on that…kind of like I do when I'm on the Tower of Terror!

Yikes! I'll try to not look timid!

Oh my, I couldn't possibly watch any of those movies! :sad2::sad2::sad2:

Does that actually work?

Thanks, I'm going to focus on that…kind of like I do when I'm on the Tower of Terror!
Well, it worked at Six Flags Fright Fest...the scareactors were quite taken aback!!! It was pretty funny to see. They focused on my poor dd instead!!! She, on the other hand, screamed like a banshee!!! But she made it through HHN...so who knows.

They can smell fear they probably look for a type:stragglers. can read body launguage & will interact with those they think they'll get a reaction. I call that getting lucky lol.

If not your cuppa, hang onto the mr & look down when in the scare zones & houses

Try to ease into it with a peek here & there. May be surprised and be in swing of things by end of night

We are heading to Universal and doing HHN for our first time ever on October 30th. My DH likes creepy/scary movies. I do not. At all. I'm a little nervous about going to HHN and being too scared to have fun. One of my biggest fears is that the scare actors will grab me or poke me.

Are they allowed to touch you? I really hope not. I think if I was grabbed, it would just send me over the edge :scared1:

We went a few years ago, and I had these same fears. I like horror movies, but not a fan of being scared IRL. My tactic was "fake it till you make it" - I acted like none of the scare actors bothered me. If they approached me I would speak to them directly, like "Wow - your makeup is awesome - so real looking! How long did that take?" They always made a hasty retreat - as they don't want to interact with people this way and ruin the fun for anyone else. I was exhausted from all the acting by the end of the night, but had successfully managed to not act scared or scream, and still had an enjoyable time. Hope you do as well.

So we did this years HHN... we thought it was scarier than previous years.

The scarecrow house and dead waters are seriously jumpy. Scarecrow is the worst.

Saw is deranged and gruesome.

The shining is less jumpy but has a creepy vibe.

Just in case these might be a little too much for you.

Also there are clowns with chainsaws roaming around the Simpson’s. Don’t grab a bite there as you’ll get harassed to death!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter