Please rank non-MK resorts on transport time to MK

starjazz

DIS Veteran
We really like MK at this stage in our lives because our girls are small yet. However, VGF is too rich. BLT is expensive too, and the crappy pool and noise make it less attractive. VWL may be an option, but we'd like to have 3-br villas available if possible, and VWL seems dark and dated to me.

That said. Would you guys kindly rank the transportation (likely buses) to MK at the other DVC resorts? Lots of people say its terrible from the Epcot resorts (BWC and BCV). Wondering how they compare to OKW and SSR, or even AKL? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Out of resorts I have stayed at:

1. SSR
2. OKW
3. BCV (great to DHS and Epcot, bad to MK, didn't go to AK)
4. AKV

That being said, I had great transportation on my last AKV stay. Every time before that has been the worst (40+ minute wait for a bus etc). I haven't stayed at BVW.

There was a guide that Disney Transportation put out years ago (I found the schedule at our resort with all the other brochures). It said that once the bus left OKW, it was eight minutes to the MK. But you have five stops before you leave OKW.

But WL/VWL has the best bus to MK. Non-stop (WL/VWL is the only stop other than MK). So you are there in minutes. It is quicker than the boat and less crowded, too.

There was a guide that Disney Transportation put out years ago (I found the schedule at our resort with all the other brochures). It said that once the bus left OKW, it was eight minutes to the MK. But you have five stops before you leave OKW.
we stayed at a HH room and realized that a short walk across the bridge saved us all those stops

we stayed at a HH room and realized that a short walk across the bridge saved us all those stops

Hmmm. That is interesting. We really like OKW, so it may be in the lead as far as location for us. If it would provide the quickest way to MK (other than MK resorts), and it has big rooms, and I like the spread out design.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming!

LOL-I have the same situation, but the girls are our granddaughters. The only problem I've found at OKW is that, depending on where your room is, your trip may be a lot longer. One day, I was returning from AK, and I was meeting DH at the resort. Because I was at about the 4th stop, it took me about another 1/2 hour from the time the bus entered the resort until I got off at my bus stop. I suspect SSR may have the same problem-that's why we're considering single bus stop resorts.

LOL-I have the same situation, but the girls are our granddaughters. The only problem I've found at OKW is that, depending on where your room is, your trip may be a lot longer. One day, I was returning from AK, and I was meeting DH at the resort. Because I was at about the 4th stop, it took me about another 1/2 hour from the time the bus entered the resort until I got off at my bus stop. I suspect SSR may have the same problem-that's why we're considering single bus stop resorts.

You can always get off at Peninsular Road and walk to Hospitality House area (like nabi) or even walk to Millers' Road or Turtle Pond area, too. South Point is the second stop, so that works to get off second.

OKW is the best IMO, as someone already mentioned staying near the HH gets you on and off at 1st stop (coming-Penninsular and going-Hosp House). That was the best bus service we've had (and we're talking Xmas 2011...very busy time). Just stayed at BCV (in Jan) and the bus to MK took forever and was so crammed packed...remember the same for BWV back in 2008. We have only stayed at SSR one time for 2 or 3 nights...in 2007. Remember hating the buses there...lots of waiting for the buses and lots of stops. The yellow building is the HH and that stop will go directly OUT to the parks (so last stop on the loop). The stop by building #26 is the 1st stop when coming in from the parks. Buildings 11-14 and 23-26 are a special HH booking...if you can't get that then request near there (like 62 or 27)
resortmap.gif

OKW and SSR win for MK transportation because they drive up a "back road" (by POR) and avoid stopping at the TTC parking booth with all the tourist a World drive traffic.
To the PP, SSR has 5 internal stops, just like OKW.

BWV is the worst because their MK bus also goes past the exit and services the Swan, then the Dolphin....and BW bus service to anywhere is generally less frequent. And, if you like standing at the MK bus stop watching every other resort get departing routes, and then wait longer....BWV is for you!

AKV with only two resort stops and usually timely buses is very good and our vote for one of the best. The trips are somewhat long to the parks other than AK but I found the time it takes is usually less than the multiple stop trips you have to suffer through at other resorts.

BWV has both walking and good boat access to Epcot and Studios.Walk to Epcot is about 10 minutes, to studios about 20. Boat to studios and back can be long, 30 or more minutes, but you can cut that by 10 to 15 minutes, particularly coming back by getting off at Swan/Dolphin and doing a short walk over a bridge. However, the BWV bus serrvice is the worst on site. It shares with Swan/Dolphin and sometimes with YC/BC (and thus a possible total of five resort stops not near each other). It is also the worst for timeliness and the number of times are legion where we have had 45 minute and longer waits at MK or AK for return, and similar waits when going to a park while we watched three buses in a row for the other park show up.

BCV is like BWV except its boat ride to Studios is quicker (it is the stop when going after BWV), walk to studios longer, and better bus service when not sharing with BWV and S/D because it stops only at YC and BC.

We're trying the AKV to MK in Jan.

The bus from YC+BC/BCV was fine in the morning as long as the bus also didn't stop at BW/BWVs, but was atrocious trying to get back to YC+BC/BCV. If the bus didn't stop at BW/BWV as well, it took about 20 minutes from BC/BCV to MK.

We actually saw 2 or 3 buses to BW/BWV, Swan and Dolphin while we were waiting for 1 bus to YC+BC/BCV. We also had the bus driver who got lost and went to Caribbean Beach instead of the YC+BC/BCV. ~.~ I can't speak for the park closing commute, but whenever we were trying to get back to the resort around 1-3pm it seemed like there were a lot more BW/BWV+Swan, Dolphin buses than YC+BC/BCV buses.

We waited ~40 mins just for a bus to arrive at MK for YC+BC/BCV, not including the then 20 minute trip back. I don't think we ever waited under 20 mins for a bus coming back, and I never saw a YC+BC/BCV bus just leaving as we arrived.

The buses to AK were much better!

Our experience is that OKW wins hands down for bus service to MK, especially if get on at the HH when going to MK (beware since it is the last stop sometimes the bus is packed) and get off at Peninsula Rd when coming home. We also had good a good experience at SSR. I would also add that OKW bus service is great to both Epcot and HS. OKW seems to sit right in the middle of Disney property.

To the PP, SSR has 5 internal stops, just like OKW.

Yeah, but as I explained OKW has the trick of getting ON the bus at HH and going right out to the parks...then getting OFF at the 1st stop coming in from the parks (1st stop is Penninsular and is right next to HH). So, you can avoid all the internal stops. SSR doesn't have that trick.

We find that two things influence which park we spend the most time at on any given trip. The first is the age of the kids, with the youngest often influencing this the most. The second is our resorts proximity to the closest park. We are back in toddler-ville after a long hiatus. So most of our trips will probably revolve around MK. Our home resort is VWL so it works great. Often a 1 or 2 BR works fine. We have yet to do a GV even on years where we've rolled over points. The decor isn't really dated, it's just themed. If we didn't do DVc we'd probably get a cabin in northern Wisconsin so this theme works well for us. With its central location and two options to get to MK (actually three when the boat to CR is running) it works out great. Also if you like exploring outside the four parks you can walk over to fort wilderness and check it out. It's like they're one big resort. Though nothing beats the ease of skipping the transportation altogether and pushing a stroller back to BLT at 1am after EMH when everyone else is in line for transport. Even with that VWL is the one we consider home.

We are at the point in our lives where we are able to visit twice a year, kidless. When we stay at BWV, we will almost never go to MK because of the bus service. It is awful when the bus stops at Swan and then Dolphin....I kind of resent it as those are not even really "Disney" resorts. Although there was a time or two when an early morning MK bus was filled to the brim, so the driver just went straight to MK (I believe he talked with dispatch first....as obviously nobody was going to get OFF at the Swan or Dolphin). Not sure if it still also stops at Yacht & Beach (two additional stops). And maybe things are changing with the giant addition they've made to the bus depot at MK. As DVC members there used to be a time when you could park at any DVC resort, and we would park at BLT. It is kind of a cr@p shoot now with that, depending on the guard and crowd levels.

That being said, we also stay at BLT, and even as adults I just love being so close to the MK....but it is not a quick trip to Epcot. You must take the monorails....there is not bus service to Epcot. But we have walked over to the bus depot from BLT.

Have never been to OKW, but I've never really read anything negative here about that resort. Point-wise, it seems to be a real bargain. And if you realize ahead of time that you will be relying on Disney bus transport for everything (i.e. no walking to any theme park) then there are no surprises. I really don't think there is any "easy" MK transportation at those times when parades and fireworks are over and everyone wants to leave at the same time (except the easy walk back to BLT).

I've read it here a hundred times: if you buy, buy where you will be happy staying. Or rent points. Good luck with your research! We have never regretted our DVC purchases (both direct and resale).

This is by no means a quick solution but worked for us pre-DVC...we stayed at the Swan, took bus to MK 1st morning. Yuck. With two toddlers, emptying and folding the stroller was chaos. Every time after that, we walked through Epcot and took the monorail.

No it doesn't save time.

The walk? Beautiful. We went in early December. Weather was great. Picked up afternoon margaritas on the Boardwalk or in world showcase as we walked.

Strolled into monorail with kids in strollers. Sometimes napping.

We are not commando tourists- even pre-DVC- so this worked for us. Leisure and less stress of not taking bus was worth it. We are staying on our first dvc trip at AKV....dreading bus only. But back at BWV in July.

Like guppy - we take the Epcot monorail, but just BACK when staying at BWV. In the morning, we tend to be at MK at rope drop, so going through Epcot only works if Epcot is having an Early Entry morning.

We've also had pretty good luck with BW buses - I know a lot of people haven't, but we have usually found the bus to arrive for gate openings right away (and for MK we always hit rope drop). BW is the first stop, so we get a seat. It then stops at the S&D, so the ride takes a while, but we are up early anyway.

Our luck with AK buses from BW has been less good.

...As DVC members there used to be a time when you could park at any DVC resort, and we would park at BLT. It is kind of a cr@p shoot now with that, depending on the guard and crowd levels.....

I don't think there was ever a time when you could park at any DVC resort. They did have free valet parking when visiting the resort or staying at the resort. But not park anytime you want. In fact, DVC has asked members not to park at the resorts connected to the theme parks unless they are visiting the resort. They have already posted that on the member website when visiting the TOTWL for the evening fireworks. You must take Disney transportation and not park there.

Deb...yes, actually there was a time when DVC members' ability to park at any other DVC resort was permitted. In fact, it was mentioned often as one of those "perks". We did it quite often, but always made sure our parking pass was displayed and I would have our DVC membership card, room key card and driver's license in my hand to show the security guard at the gate. It seemed like a good balance, as those staying at BLT would like to drive and park at BWV for illuminations and those staying at BWV would like to drive and park at BLT and walk over to MK. And no, I am not confusing this with the former perk of free valet parking. But as I said, it is now a cr@p shoot depending on crowds, time of day and the guard on duty. We have stayed at BLT very often with MK view....along with being able to see a half-empty parking lot for BLT. I also see people parking in the lot, getting out of the car, and walking directly to MK.

To the OP: I am someone that really likes BLT, especially the one-bedrooms with two full baths. Our room in October was spotless. We love watching Wishes and the Halloween fireworks from our balcony. We love the nightly water pagent. The little private beach is a little piece of heaven. Although I would really, really like them to discontinue the afternoon pool party with the extremely loud music. I really don't see the necessity of the hurt your ears music and the person with the mike.

I've stayed at 5 different DVC WDW resorts and Alauni. There are things I love about each resort....and things I don't love too. To each their own. Good luck as you continue your research.

Deb...yes, actually there was a time when DVC members' ability to park at any other DVC resort was permitted. In fact, it was mentioned often as one of those "perks". We did it quite often, but always made sure our parking pass was displayed and I would have our DVC membership card, room key card and driver's license in my hand to show the security guard at the gate. ....

I've been a member since 1997 and we never had a perk where DVC members could park at other resorts just because we were DVC members. Disney allows any resort guest to park at another resort as long they are visiting the resort. And there are times of the year when you cannot park at resorts adjacent to the theme parks, like BW Resort and BC/YC Resorts during F&W time. Or Contemporary/BLT during the parties or other busy times.

Most of the time you will see signs at the entrances to the parking lots of the resorts that are adjacent to the theme parks that state they cannot provide parking for the theme parks. That includes DVC members. We're not special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter