Please tell me about the late June thunderstorms?

We were just there last week, and as others have posted, it rained for hours each day. Very different than the usual late afternoon storms. We live in Va. and our weather here was cooler than usual up until this week. We just had that very typical first late afternoon storm today. So fingers crossed that the Fla weather is starting to turn more typical.

Oh, and my 2 cents. I always pack my North Face rain jacket. It doubles as a windbreaker in cooler indoor places where the a/c is cranked way too high for me. Takes up very little space, and was very useful last week. We always go to Sea World too, and some of their indoor rides/shows are very chilly.

This is just me but I would never miss the mornings in the summer. It's the coolest time of the day and the weather is the most settled. This way if the weather goes sideways we feel like we got a good park day in. You should be able to go at night too once it clears
Also least crowded get on most rides without using FP

we just got back last night after a week there, and we had lots of rain. I think we had one day of no rain. It was very hot and even more humid. Some days the rain and wind made it drop about 10-15 degrees into the upper 70's. Those were the pretty much all afternoon rains. The days where it would rain and stop, rain and stop, it stayed hot. The buses were almost always FRIGID. This was the most rain we have had at Disney in a very very long time!!!

We were there last week (5-13.) It did rain almost every day except one but, to be honest, we didn't mind. It never rained all day. We really didn't feel like any day was a wash out. The two days it rained the most were our EPCOT days and both times it stopped raining by mid afternoon and then the evenings were beautiful. A couple of days it sprinkled for hours (but such a light sprinkle that we didn't need ponchos.) We certainly didn't let it affect our trip. The one day it didn't rain, it was super hot and we were actually wishing for a little shower. We still swam almost every day. You'll have a great time! My kids thought the rain was fantastic:)

October is only slightly less busy than August for tropical storms. Mid September is the peak of the season.

Average number of Atlantic tropical storms per year by month:
September 3.5
August 2.3
October 2.0
July 0.5
November 0.5
June 0.5
May 0.1
December 0.1

Tropical storm patterns for where they form and where they go also vary quite a bit during the season. Storms in October are much more likely to have an effect on the Orlando area than storms in August:

august.gif

october.gif

Not sure where you're getting your info, but from all I've found, the highest mo. for named TS's, hurricanes are Sept. then Aug. then Oct.

After re reading my pp and now your post above, I see you are saying the same thing I did - Aug. & Sept. 'are' the busiest months. Definitely our experiences also. No problems, I'm out! :goodvibes

We've been here for a week. It has rained every day. Sometimes for a few hours, sometimes from 3 on for the rest of the night. It hasn't interfered with our trip at all. We just put on the ponchos and go.

The weather was gorgeous last night. After the rain it was cool and not humid at all.

I recommend bringing a second set of park shoes so you can rotate them. That way if one pair is wet you can wear a dry pair.

There's rain.

There's thunder.

There may even be lightening.

Seriously. Unfortunately, rain can put a damper on the trip and your plans. I think it emphasizes the need to do most of your important touring in the morning. Get all of your outdoor must-do items done before 1 o'clock. Of course, that strategy does not work for any night-time fireworks shows, but it is making the most of the situation.

We were there the 4th - 12th. It rained a lot. Sometimes it was just a couple hrs and others it felt like it just kept raining. There were a couple afternoons that it was short lived and we used that time to rest and relax. It did ruin our plans a couple days but we spent the time doing other things.

We will be down for four nights from 6/30-7/4. I'm hoping for occasional rain, but not too worried if it rains non stop except maybe for on our Discovery Cove day, because I want good video of our dolphin swim, lol!

DH and I just bought new windbreakers/rain jackets for our trip. We both technically needed them anyway, but now we are prepared in case the rain hangs around!

Every summer we've gone, it's been the typical late afternoon thunderstorm here and there and that's it. I'm hopeful that it goes back to that by the first week of July, as we love our afternoon pool time. But I am glad that FL has gotten the rain it so desperately needed.

On the water park front, I would say in general, I would do the water parks in the morning to get the most time uninterrupted before the afternoon showers....

I'm not that concerned about it being rainy some of the days that I'm there, but if the rain usually starts about 2pm or a little later and the parade starts at 3pm, there's always a chance that the parade will be cancelled. I was at WDW for 9 days in June 2014 and it rained everyday so I was never able to see FoF because it was always cancelled.

We just got back from a trip from the 17th to the 25th. It rained a bit on our first day for about an hour but it wasn't that heavy. Then the next day it rained when we were taking a break at the Wave in the Contemporary. We didn't even realized it had rained until we got outside and saw the floor was wet. It didn't rain again that day. Then, the next day, it rained hard twice in an hour period which we waited out at the nomad lounge. The next day it rained moderately for about an hour in the early evening and didn't rain again the rest of the day. It didn't rain the next two days but rained like crazy our last day just in time for the MK fireworks. It was raining sheets and because of this the buses were really slow going back to the hotel. But it also cleared up by the time we got back to the hotel. Overall, I would say it didn't really rain that much more then it normally does when we go to Florida in the summer. Normally we have some luck were it only rains once or twice but this the rain was mostly just for a short time and not that hard (except of course the last day but that was already the end of the day and the park was closing).

We just got back from a trip from the 17th to the 25th. It rained a bit on our first day for about an hour but it wasn't that heavy. Then the next day it rained when we were taking a break at the Wave in the Contemporary. We didn't even realized it had rained until we got outside and saw the floor was wet. It didn't rain again that day. Then, the next day, it rained hard twice in an hour period which we waited out at the nomad lounge. The next day it rained moderately for about an hour in the early evening and didn't rain again the rest of the day. It didn't rain the next two days but rained like crazy our last day just in time for the MK fireworks. It was raining sheets and because of this the buses were really slow going back to the hotel. But it also cleared up by the time we got back to the hotel. Overall, I would say it didn't really rain that much more then it normally does when we go to Florida in the summer. Normally we have some luck were it only rains once or twice but this the rain was mostly just for a short time and not that hard (except of course the last day but that was already the end of the day and the park was closing).

Sounds like its back to the normal Florida summer pattern...

Tropical Storm Cindy was out in the Gulf last week. As it moved further north it helped pull moisture away from Florida to give us a bit of a break from the daily hours-long rain we had been getting all month.
The last few days the storms have been increasing again and we are back to the normal summertime afternoon-evening storm pattern.

We were also in Orlando from June 9th to the 17th. Frankly, the weather sucked. Woke up to it being humid and overcast nearly every morning until the torrential rains started for a few hours, and then showers persisted until evening. I am all for putting on a poncho and Disney-ing on, but after 5 straight days being wet all the darn time got old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter