Please tell me I'm not losing it!

degrapevine

Has a serious Disney watch addiction!
Okay, everyone - This is a Disney World related story, but it clearly illustrates that I have become completely powerless when it comes to the power of DL ...
A friend and I went over to Epcot today for the Flower and Garden Festival.
My DH, DD, and DS7 went last week and rode Soarin' for the first time (without me!) while I was at Universal Studios with DS10 and his best friend.
Well, I was really excited to ride it today, knowing I would soon be able to compare it with the original at DCA (exactly the same?).
So, as the ride took off, I began getting this weird feeling ...
Here were the beautiful sights of CA and I would be going there soon to see them for real.
As the ride continued, I started getting extremely emotional.
When finally (as I knew it would), the ride flew over DL's Main Street, I began crying.
Not just sniffles, but full blown sobbing!
I don't know why - It's irrational, but somehow I just lost it.
Why should the sight of a theme park on a movie screen make me lose control like that?
Am I truly losing my grip on reality?
Will they need to scrape me off of Main Street at DL when I'm overcome with joy at finally being in the place where all the magic started?
Is this normal?
My DH called me a "softie" when I told him - If that's true, I'd better bring along a case of Kleenex!
39 days and counting!

You are not crazy. You probably cry at all of the Disney Classics. Especially with the happy endings. Every true Disney Nut knows what you are feeling, whether they will admit it or not. The smells, the window above the firehouse, the sight of the castle. That is enough to do it to you right there! If this is unusual behavior for you though then is it possibly related to PMS or even maybe a surprise! Either way it is a-okay!

You are SO not crazy!

That ride makes me cry EVERY TIME I RIDE IT!

I think it's because of the fragrances they use. I heard once that scents can trigger memories that all of our other sensations (sight, hearing, etc.) can't - thus the outpouring of emotion.

We'll be going in June so I can get my cry-fest overwith!

I've been going to Disneyland all my life, but I still cry at every stinking parade and every fireworks show. I blame it on the music being in the "key of Disney", which creates some kind of chemical reaction within me that I'm powerless against. Really, though, it's just the magic of the place. I've got so many wonderful family memories there... it's literally been part of my life since I was born. I think the music of the parades and fireworks just bring all that out for me. Haven't seen the new fireworks show yet, but I know it's going to make me sob.

You're not crazy. Disney is a big part of your life, too, and you're going to the only park that Walt walked through. That's a big deal to people like us. Go ahead and cry... others may think you're odd, but there are plenty like you. It just means you're completely in tune with the magic.

degrapevine said:
I don't know why - It's irrational, but somehow I just lost it.
Why should the sight of a theme park on a movie screen make me lose control like that?
Am I truly losing my grip on reality?
Will they need to scrape me off of Main Street at DL when I'm overcome with joy at finally being in the place where all the magic started?
Is this normal?

You are not crazy - why do you think so many of us go back year after year. We chase this feeling. Who doesn’t want to feel overwhelmingly happy - besides you don't get the nickname 'The Happiest Place On Earth' for nothing? Embrace those emotions and hold on to them - how many times in our lifetime will you feel like that!!!

No you're not crazy!! In line with all the other posts I get emotional as well when it comes to Disneyland. I got a lump in my throat at that SAME part when I road Soarin' for the first time.

And when the Lion King Parade was running I was seriously a MESS!! I have NO attachment to that movie but couldn't get through the darn thing without crying!! I'm a little nervous that there's a Lion King segment in the Parade of Dreams not that I wouldn't LOVE to see it...I just know me!!

You are certainly not alone and I think when it comes to Disney, the parks, and the like, those of us that are more sentimental AND nostalgic get a little worked up!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your supportive posts.
I do tend to tear up easily and this trip is really going to test my resolve.
I've decided not to fight it and just enjoy the Disney magic.
So what if I'm a blubbery mess and embarrass my kids?
I've been waiting to see DL ever since I can remember and want to take it all in.
This isn't just a "bulletin board," it's a support group!

P.S. Kelie - We'll be there some of the same days as you ... I'll bring some extra tissues if you need any!
Thanks again - You're the best.
Rose :)

I am so glad to hear I am not alone. I don't cry often, but DL always gets me. I have so many good memories of the park. I was just trying to explain it to my Son's Girlfriend the other day... it is hard to put in words, I just love it there. Sometimes I think it feels more like home than any other place (maybe that is because my Mom redid our entire house and MIL bought a new house).

I love the details in DL, and the flowers are so pretty. And the sights and sounds just make me happy...

How funny!! I'll look for you..hehehehe!! I'm sure I'll tear up, I always do but it's all good and even my husband says that he loves that about me :)

You're not crazy, unless I am. Which is entirely possible. Disney makes me cry, too. I think that it's because I'm so grateful that we can go. Our first trip as a family was in 2002, and we had been thinking about it for YEARS. We never thought we could afford it, but that year my mother told me that she would take us. She backed out, but we felt that it was important, since the kids had been told they were going, to not disappoint them. In addition, we'd had a death in the family that convinced us to take advantage of the time we had together. We thought that it was a once in a lifetime trip--we never thought we'd be able to go again. What an eye-opener that was! It was magic, if you'll forgive the cliche. :wizard: Sheesh, you're making me cry again!

The worst thing is, when they show Walt's speech, you know the one that starts, "To all who come to this happy place, welcome"? That makes me cry, and it's really terrible because I work at the Disney Store and they must show it 80 times a day. I'm sure they're going to have me committed soon! :crazy:

I teared up last night watching that LAME DL vacation planning video (all 8 minutes of it)..... but I hid the tears from my family.... they already think I'm a bit over the top about anything Disney... why confirm their suspicions!?......P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter