$/point reimbursement for friends / family?

We have friends that travel with us, and we pretty much charge them what they would pay to stay in a moderate...the times of year we travel, a moderate is usually about $100/night with discounts. In our opinion, they are getting a much nicer accomodation than a moderate (not that there's anything wrong with a moderate, but a DVC unit is usually bigger, with laundry, full kitchen etc). They feel it is very fair. I have another single friend who, if she travels with us in our group, usually end sup on the pullout. I can't justify charging her to sleep on the couch, so I don't. The other couple I referred to above always gets their own bedroom. When we invite family, we don't charge them for the points either. They're family. Usually they will pay for one of our meals or buy us a water park ticket or something as a thank you...not necessary, but certainly appreciated!!!!

If anyone started to feel as if they were "entitled" to our points, or started telling me how to plan my vacations so they could use some of our leftover points, they'd be quickly crossed off the list of invitees who would be welcome at the DVC with us.

My family has rented points from BIL in the past (before we bought DVC for ourselves). We have rented for alone trips and trips with them...I always paid him the going rate for points. It was still a GREAT deal for us. We were able to stay in a studio at VWL for less than a standard room at WL...with a lot more ammenities. :cool1:

I never had a problem with him "charging" us the going rate for points. I figured he was being nice enough to let us use the points he had paid for (and continues to pay for in maintenance) and he had to take the time to make the ressies for us.

I think it is a wonderful gesture to take family along without charging them, but I don't think any family member should "expect" it. I was just thankful I had someone I knew and trusted that I could rent from before I took the plunge myself. :goodvibes

The other problem can be that because the points are "leftover" , nobody thinks it's a big deal to cancel the reservation and leave you holding the bag.

JeanJoe said:
Here's a slightly personal question, if you all don't mind. We are in the process of joining DVC, and have friends and family who are interested in using any points we have "left over."

I wouldn't feel right asking for the "full" renting price that's on the rent boards (I guess frequently from $10-12/point, perhaps sometimes higher?), but it also obviously makes sense to ask for more then the annual MF, to account for the buy-in cost.

I was wondering whether people here might be willing to share what they consider a "fair" sort-of-at-cost-reimbursement-price for their points?

Of course, at the rate that DW and I are planning future vacations, we might not have to worry about "left over" points at all! ;)

Thanks in advance

We have left our sisinlaw have our points for $5 per point. Cheap I know but they do stuff for us as well so it works out in the end.

JeanJoe said:
Here's a slightly personal question, if you all don't mind. We are in the process of joining DVC, and have friends and family who are interested in using any points we have "left over."

I wouldn't feel right asking for the "full" renting price that's on the rent boards (I guess frequently from $10-12/point, perhaps sometimes higher?), but it also obviously makes sense to ask for more then the annual MF, to account for the buy-in cost.

I was wondering whether people here might be willing to share what they consider a "fair" sort-of-at-cost-reimbursement-price for their points?

Of course, at the rate that DW and I are planning future vacations, we might not have to worry about "left over" points at all! ;)

Thanks in advance

First: You need to amoritize the cost of your purchase price over the length of the remaining contract. For example, if you paid $90 per point with 30 years left, it is amoritized at $3 per year per point ($90/30). This is assuming that you are planning to keep this for the life of the contract, it gets a bit more confusing if you are planning on selling at some stage and determining the value.

Second: You need to determine what the maintenance fee for your resort is per point.

Third: Add these two together; this becomes your cost per point per year.

Fourth: Multiply the number of point needed by the figure determined in step three.

For most people, this should be in the $6.00 - $6.50 range depending on what they paid for the initial purchase and the maintenance fees.

gjw007 said:
(snip)For most people, this should be in the $6.00 - $6.50 range depending on what they paid for the initial purchase and the maintenance fees.

Thanks -- this suggestion (also mentioned before) seems the most "fair" to us. But, also per other people's posts, we've found that it's actually kind of easy to book lots and lots of vacations, so the whole "extra point" issue seems to be rapidly melting away!

Maybe I'll set up ticker thingies, but we've gone from planning 1 trip to now thinking Oct + May trips, and then maybe the Oct + Jan after that. :)

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Welcome to DVC! I thought I'd have leftovers, too. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Most of the problems I've seen with relatives/friends using "leftover" points have nothing to do with the price. They have to do with the other parties' attitude toward "leftover" points, and their complete lack of understanding about how DVC works. Most of the problems I've seen have been these folks canceling out on short notice and leaving the DVC owner holding the bag. I mean, after all...they are "leftover" (and therefore basically free) points, right?

We don't have leftover points. We have enough points that, if we choose to do so, we might invite someone to join us in the studio part of a two-bedroom. But if someone is going on their own, we don't have any points for that -- those points are already used or banked.

Instead, we refer them to CRO and then to the DISboards Rent/trade board. They can rent at $10-12 per point and get one heck of a bargain, and we don't get caught in the middle of a business transaction they don't understand or appreciate.

Dd and I are traveling to WDW in Oct '06 with another mom and her dd. We will be getting a 2-bdrm villa at BWV. I was fully prepared to just use my points for the stay. No big deal. But the other mom won't let me do that. Says she has to pay her share. She wants to know how much it would be for her to stay in a studio if she were booking it herself, paying cash. Well, that would be about $1600. No way am I going to accept that from her. Don't care that she can well afford it and that they normally stay at deluxes only. I'll be telling her to just give me $800. that will pay dd's and my airfare and dd's park media. anything less than that and that mom is going to freak out on me. She knows what these rooms go for and wants to pay accordingly for her share. Sheesh....try to do something nice.

I started a thread about point values a few weeks back. I had come across a press release about the incredible ranking received by DVC from its customers. To me to was further proof that our memberships are highly valued and worth as much as we can get for them. But alas, the supply can outstrip the demand. Anyway, take alook at:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=829497

Regardless, we all have to do things due to family dynamics...as they say, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Chalk it up to hanname.

We have not even closed yet, and DH and I are struggling with this question too. The issue is not leftover points, but the fact that we intend to rent points out at times.

We have explained to our friends and family that we look at the principal price as our "loan" from DVC (even though we paid cash, we still need to make up the cash outlay) :teacher: . Until that loan is paid off, we will not be free to rent any points to anyone below the market rate. Our family members have rented in the $11-$13 range before, so if we give them a $1 break on that they would be happy. Plus they know the points will be there etc. They also know they are saving tons of money over the cash price from Disney.

That said, in the past when we rented points ourselves, and my brother and his family came with us, we rented a 2 bedroom, and they paid the per-point cost on the difference between the 1 bedroom and the 2 bedroom. I am not sure how many points that was, but I know it was a few points less then renting a 1 bedroom and the studio. I would probably do the same again if they, or anyone else, came with us.

Along this same theme, we know dozens of people with homes at the shore. Some are primarily second homes, others purchased as properties intended to be rented. We have never asked these friends, some of them very close to us, to let us use them. To us it is their house or their business, not some piece of expendable property. I don't even expect them to offer us the chance to use them.

When they go away on vacation, I don't go and use their pool or their car, simply because they are not using it at that moment. Even more simplistic, I don't borrow their tools or lawnmower either.

A family member or friend asking to use or even rent my points would result in a flat, "gee sorry, all used up..." type answer. I might offer to help them with a discounted cash price, but that's about as far as I would go.

I love my family, but I didn't enjoy my brother taking my bike, or getting beaten up when I borrowed (and often lost or scratched ;) ) his albums.

I learned long ago, "Thou shalt not covet they neighbors hanname!"

And we are going to Mexico this summer with friends. A friend of a friend owns a house on the ocean South of Cancun and offered it to her. For free. Bring some friends! She turned him down the Minnesota minumum three times and he continued to press. So we are going - staying in the vacation home of a man I've never met that rents for $3,000 in the summer - more in the winter. Its possible he can't rent it easily in summer, but still, its very generous of him to offer - and continue to press for acceptance.

We've agreed to try and figure out a way to at least cover his expenses (maid service, electric bills, etc), though given my friend's success in paying him for lesser things in the past, I'm not sure how successful we will be.

We do not make arrangements for pricing even for family or friends we have a set asking price at the low end it is 12 a point we don't make it lower for anyone. They are still getting a great deal on a great accomodation no matter how you look at it.

CharlesTD said:
We do not make arrangements for pricing even for family or friends we have a set asking price at the low end it is 12 a point we don't make it lower for anyone. They are still getting a great deal on a great accomodation no matter how you look at it.

$12 CDN???? That is a good deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter