Points charts reallocation speculation

lundve

DIS Veteran
Am I the only one who thought with the new daily WDW pricing announced today that this could finally lead to a shake up of the 2020 points charts to be more in line with projected crowd levels?

I've long been a proponent of making adjustments to the charts. However, one could actually argue that DVC should now wait a couple years to see what impact the ticket changes have on villa bookings.

Reading the most recent post on easywdw, crowds have shifted not only for DVC, with member lured by low points in the fall, but for the resort in general. Summer (especially August) is not peak season anymore. Will this be reflected by the ticket calendar? If so, then finally the management might have realised it's time to change something and this might affect point charts as well.

Remember that the legal goal is not to match the DVC Point charts to how busy the parks are, but to base it on actual DVC demand, with the aim of keeping the resorts full year round. That seems to be pretty much what is happening now, the DVC resorts seem to operate at or near full all the time...would a reallocation be of any value?

Remember that the legal goal is not to match the DVC Point charts to how busy the parks are, but to base it on actual DVC demand, with the aim of keeping the resorts full year round. That seems to be pretty much what is happening now, the DVC resorts seem to operate at or near full all the time...would a reallocation be of any value?

Depends if you have to always go during school vacation, which is magic season. To some, myself included, this would be of value, for people who only go in the fall not so much.

I would like them to get rid of the 4 seasons and re-balance the charts with 3 seasons.

Depends if you have to always go during school vacation, which is magic season. To some, myself included, this would be of value, for people who only go in the fall not so much.

I would like them to get rid of the 4 seasons and re-balance the charts with 3 seasons.
The point isn't whether a reallocation would be of any value to individual members, but to the DVC system as a whole. If the resorts are operating at or near capacity year round as it is, there is no advantage to the DVC system to do a reallocation.

The point isn't whether a reallocation would be of any value to individual members, but to the DVC system as a whole. If the resorts are operating at or near capacity year round as it is, there is no advantage to the DVC system to do a reallocation.

Agree. I don't see any reallocation coming unless there is a strong pattern of unbooked nights (for points). AFAIK, that is what drove the reallocation that increased the cost for weeknights and lowered the cost for weekends. I don't see any such pattern now.

Remember, it's not how quickly something books up, it's whether or not the system ends up with a pattern of unbooked nights. Are there a lot of "summer" nights going unbooked? I've been keeping an eye on the 60 day availability snapshots and I am not seeing any evidence of that. YMMV and of course, only Disney has the actual data.

This year they reallocated the AKV club and Value rooms. Where the value sitting empty requiring to lower their cost increasing the cost of club rooms?
I do not think so.
Points reallocations have to happen to balance the system in the interest of the members. If a booking category or period is consistently very difficult to book at 11 months and people start walking the reservation days or even weeks in advance, then I would argue a reallocation is needed. This is happening for many booking categories and the first two weeks of december are the main candidates for a reallocation.

This year they reallocated the AKV club and Value rooms. Where the value sitting empty requiring to lower their cost increasing the cost of club rooms?
I do not think so.
Points reallocations have to happen to balance the system in the interest of the members. If a booking category or period is consistently very difficult to book at 11 months and people start walking the reservation days or even weeks in advance, then I would argue a reallocation is needed. This is happening for many booking categories and the first two weeks of december are the main candidates for a reallocation.

I don't know why they did a reallocation for the club level, but I suspect it had to do with the cost of operating the lounge (for which DVC has to pay its share) and nothing to do with the value category itself. There are so few club rooms, that I doubt they had any other viable choice to to balance the increase to the club rooms.

As far as the 11 month "walking", that occurs only for the least expensive options (and not for all resorts). I very much doubt that pattern will change significantly just because of a reallocation. Adn it seems to me that most of the "complaints" concerning early December are coming from the members who want to book at 7 months. I see absolutely no reason to reallocate based on 7 month availability.

We'll have to agree to disagree. (Doesn't really matter what we think, though. DVCMC will decide based on what they believe is in the best interests of the system as a whole).

VGF studios. BWV standard. BLT standard. All those categories present a challenge all year around but in certain periods they cause problems to the system. I could book a BWV standard for august at 7 months (I checked for a rental), owners cannot get one at 11 months during the first two weeks of December without walking. There is an imbalance which is detrimental for owners.
I agree that booking at 7 months shouldn't be a reason for a reallocation.

Expect nothing dramatic, if at all. More concerned about the current perk of APH discount continuing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter