Poison Ivy Help

antsss

Mouseketeer
Hello all. I'm not much of a gardener, but I'm learning! We moved into a new house in South Jersey this past February. We just discovered a pretty extensive poison ivy problem in the backyard. I need to make it safe for us and the kids so I VERY CAREFULLY removed a vine that was growing up a beautiful maple tree and spreading into the yard. I was wearing rubber gloves and I was fully protected, but the handles of my clippers and loppers must be completely contaminated. How should I clean them off? And to tackle the rest, should I just continue to remove it, or should I use Brush-Be-Gone or some similar product? I appreciate all the help I can get since there's a creek in the backyard and I think there must be poison ivy all along it...this is a battle I think I'll be waging for quite a while!

When we noticed that poison ivy was growing extensively along our property which borders a bike path, we did use some sort of chemical killer, and went back to check today, and so far, so good. It was 2-3 years ago that we had the problem.

I was weeding in a different area yesterday and noticed small patches or single plants that I pulled. For my skin, I have been very happy with "tecnu" an outdoor skin cleanser. The bottle says that it also decontaminates, laundry, pets and tools. I have only used it as a hand/body wash after I know that I have been around poison ivy.

Bobbi:hippie:

if you wash well - it won't infect you

I get it from our cats who have been in the woods

As much as I hate RoundUp, I hate poison ivy worse. Use according to bottle directions, and try to avoid spraying near a water source or on windy days.

For contaminated skin/clothing/tools, there's no product better than Tecnu. Even after exposure, it's wonderful for reducing the severity and duration of skin reactions.

burt's bee's poision ivy soap works for my husband

If you have large vines you may have to escalate your attack some. I have had good luck with cut stump application of Tordon RTU (ready to use). Cut off the vine and apply a little to the growing section of the stump (around the edge just inside the bark). Not as safe as Roundup (glysophate), but it keeps the plant from regrowing.

I heard that if you have a vine, poke a hole in the top of a mason jar, fill the jar with concentrated Bush B Gone or round up, we use round up, put the top on and stick the end of the vine in the lid. It will suck up the chemical.

When you wash your arms and hands use cold water, the hot water will open up your pores. We typically just use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to clean ourselves and our tools and shoes.

I just came in from spraying our poison ivy, it seems really bad this year. It came up fast and early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter