Poll.......Anybody getting the spam 'Congratulations, you won.....!' popups??

Are you getting these 'Congratulations, you won whatever' popups?

• Yes, but just on this site and on any device

Votes: 106 21.4%
  • Yes, on this and other sites and on any device

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Yes, but just on this site and only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 314 63.3%
  • Yes, on this and other sites but only on cell phone/tablets

Votes: 38 7.7%
  • No, not getting these popups on this site or any other sites

Votes: 31 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's odd that it only happens on the Community Board. I don't buy it's a rogue ad. It's malicious spam brought here.

I have the problem with Safari 13.0.4 on Mac 10.13.6, but not Firefox 71.0 on the same Mac. On Firefox I've enabled the Console and get a lot of messages about blocked content - not sure if any of it is relevant. Also this message looks fishy:

Also this, and I only see these complaints about adsrvr.org on the Community Board, amongst the handful of others I tried anyway.

Never have any issues... That said I run the NoScript add-on on Firefox, I pretty much will not surf the web without it. The DIS runs about 19 different Scripts, most are some form of advertising. I get making money but not at my expense of security. I only allow two sites through NoScript on this site; disboard.com and ajax.googleapls.com and the site works fine and I don’t deal with popups.

several times in a row just now! I'm on Firefox on a Mac
Which version of Firefox? Just the Community Board or other forums? (I'm not going to solve this, but like collecting clues so the DIS folks can converge on a solution.)

Trying to type this quickly since it's back for me too and this is the THIRD time trying to post. Ugh......

I get the ad on the phone and the computer in both safari and chrome. I haven’t been able to get on The DIS in days. Even as I was reading this thread, it popped up again. It’s been unusable. This is the longest I’ve been on the site without it popping up. I don’t get it on any other site and I have pop up blockers installed. Usually when this happens on my phone I can use the computer but this time it’s across devices.

This has been getting worse for me. What I just did after googling “how to block pop ups on one site” was go into the settings on my IPAD and turn block pop ups off and then on again. I also turned off JavaScript (whatever that is😀) and it worked.....for now.

Not sure how long it will last this time. But if they don’t fix it, this site could be virtually unusable and there goes all their ad dollars. Why advertise if no one can see your ad because they can’t reach your site.

Curious about that - do those ad blockers (or any ad blockers) log what ads they're blocking? Thinking that might be a clue to help the DIS tech support folks.
It doesn't seem to, but the sheer number of ads that run on the CB is gob-smacking.

I don't think it's only happening on the CB.
It is only happening to me now when I try to access the Community Board on my iphone; it immediately goes to "Congratulations...". I can access the other pages from my phone just fine, and all pages work when I use the desktop computer.

It doesn't seem to, but the sheer number of ads that run on the CB is gob-smacking.

View attachment 459865
I don't think 8 is a lot (I'm currently showing 7). Go to https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html (I picked on that because I've been reading the articles about the GF from Freedom of the Seas. ) There's over 50 items block there.

If you thought the 855k+ was just CB, that's not how I read it. That's how many ads have been blocked in total across all web pages since you installed (or maybe started) ABP.

I don't think 8 is a lot (I'm currently showing 7). Go to https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html (I picked on that because I've been reading the articles about the GF from Freedom of the Seas. ) There's over 50 items block there.

If you thought the 855k+ was just CB, that's not how I read it. That's how many ads have been blocked in total across all web pages since you installed (or maybe started) ABP.
The number I quoted in my post above is for the Dis alone, because my AdGuard shows per site, not a total of all sites.

The number I quoted in my post above is for the Dis alone, because my AdGuard shows per site, not a total of all sites.
Good thing I wasn't quoting you then, huh? Any "total" for a specific site, IMO, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. How many visits to pages on that site have you gone to since it started counting? I think I usually get 7-10 "blocks" on every page I click on on the Dis. So the 155K blocks you've had on Dis alone could be 15K page openings. How many page openings do you see in a day. I click on Dis, Click on CB, maybe read 3-4 threads, possibly multiple pages each. When I post, that's another page opening. I bet I can easily get 50-100 page views in a given day. Let's say 50 page views/day * 7 blocked adds each view * 365 (since you've been here over a year). That's 127K "blocks". Pretty close to your 155K.

Which version of Firefox? Just the Community Board or other forums? (I'm not going to solve this, but like collecting clues so the DIS folks can converge on a solution.)
71.0 is the version. I couldn't respond last night because I kept getting the ads. Now I'm on Chrome, will see if that works. I don't think it is just on the community board though. I am getting it some on my phone also, and when I run Swagbucks videos.

Just got it twice with FF on Community Board, but so far not on the Budget board, so maybe it is just CB. Has been horrible though.

And...just got it on Chrome, version 79.0.xxxx. So far still OK on the Budget board on FF.

Last edited:
I thought I was doing well on my phone, no dis spam for a few days. And now, they're back.

Here are the number of ads blocked by AdBlock Plus over several years here on the dis. Posting this on my desktop. Phone was not manageable.

abp-full-logo.svg
Block ads on:
disboards.com
Number of items blocked
0 on this page
2,008,801 in total

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter