Poll! Bigger or smaller contracts? What do you prefer & own?

150 - 200 pts: one big contract or 2-3 smaller?

• One big contract

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • 2 smaller

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • 3 smaller

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters

takemetomickey

Mouseketeer
Let’s say you wanted 150 or 200 more points. Do you prefer to buy one big contract? Or 2-3 smaller (same use year). Please explain why!

I am looking to add a second contract. Our first is 180. This one will be 160-200. We can live with 340 but 365 is really the sweet spot for how I believe we will use our points.

I think I just like the flexibity of smaller contracts. Plus the resale value holds a bit better with contracts smaller than 100pts so going forward I’m going to try to purchase contracts of 75pts or smaller, whether resale or direct.

Our largest contract is 150 points at BRV. We’ll never get rid of that one, it’s my absolute favorite resort. All the others are 100 points or less, easier to get rid of if necessary. Most of them are resale. We do own 150 at RIV bought direct but it’s split into 100 + 50. I definitely didn’t want a 150 in one contract at a restricted resort.

If you go to sell there are certain costs per contract that eat into the extra price per point you might get on the sale of a small contract. Generally they do sell faster though. Anything 200 points and less is fine IMO with 100-150 being about perfect.

Direct I always go smaller or split a large contract into smaller contracts.

Resale I always buy bigger. I try to buy 200 to 400 points max. With resale, majority of the depreciation occurs from direct owner to first resale owner.

I’m also of the minority in that I like having two use years.

We started with 50 at BRV and are adding 150 now. I like knowing that if we feel like we have too many points, we can sell 50 and still have enough remaining. The original plan was 50 points and then add 50-100 and if we'd gone that way, I suppose we could have ended up with 3 contracts. I just feel like the smaller ones would be easier to sell later, if needed.

It really depends but I have not broken up anything when buying direct with my largest being 175.

I do have a 300 SSR I bought resale but price was right.

It wasn’t worth paying extra closing costs to break up.

I'd prefer to buy larger contracts (cheaper!) but to have smaller contracts (better resale value!).

I don't like paying transaction costs, so up to 250 points I'd keep it as one. I have 250, 200 & 150 contracts.

We seem to have landed in the 150-160 range for the majority of our contracts. We have a 250 we use for SAPs. We do split stays, 6/6, twice a year. We have enough points to get us in the 1BRs for the first half of the trip and then usually finish with either a 1BR or 2BR depending on the resort. The extra points allow us to stay 6 nights in CC cabins, Poly bungalows or a GV if we have family come along with us.

We are still settling into these points and will reevaluate in the next couple of years. I imagine we may want to add smaller points, 50-100, later on to specific contracts to give us added flexibility.

We prefer smaller. Can buy outright easier (no loan). And then can easily re sell if needed.

We started with 200 OKW. And a year later we wished we could sell half of those...for reasons. But could not break up a single contract. So we had in laws pay to share with us for a while.

Then, few years later, we had better circumstances and started adding on. Did 50 and 25 HHI. Then did 100 AKV. Then 50 more HHI. Then 55 BWV. Then added another 25 BwV and then another 25 there. Meanwhile, we sold the 100 AKV for a nice profit. Then added 150 BWV. And then added 70 CCV and sold the 200 OKW (split proceeds with inlaws). Then sold all the HHI. Then sold the two 25 BWV. Then added 26 AKV. Lol...follow all that??)!?@?!? Yep, crazy but easy to do with small contracts and overall we made all our money back, including closing costs and whatnot. Prob made a bit more than cost. For the ones we sold...not counting annual dues.

We were trying to get to 1000 and use to snow bird but we ended up moving near Disney so we sold off a lot since we don't really need that many points anymore. But we keep some so we can do a night here and there to be able to drink and not drive home. And enjoy the resorts and parks at leisure. We now have 26 AKV, 70 CCV and 150 and 55 BWV. Would like 29 or so more AKV since we like to book club level there. But, meh. I book last minute pop ups with BWV points and that works okay.

Mix of both IMO. Our largest contract is 200 points, we also have a 150, 135 FW, a 125 and a 50. In hindsight the better way to do it would probably to get the majority of your points resale at your favorite resort with a nice big contract and get the rest in smaller contracts for flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter