Pool at BW

sc9500

Hile... Gunslinger...
Can anyone tell me how the pool at the BW will suit a 4 year old girl? I've seen pictures of the slide - but I think it may be too much for her.
(Im just a worry-wart father) Thanks :wave:

The first time that my dd went to the BW pool I thought that she would never go down that slide. I was wrong. I was watching from our room and there goes my dd right down the slide, she loved it. Now I must say that she is a daredevil and loves thrill stuff, so in retrospect it doesn't surprise me that she liked it. I am actually expecting my 2 yr ds to go down it this yr. I bet he will because he follows dd around everywhere and wants to do what she does, so we will see. Just so you though there is a kiddie pool. Also you can check out a life vest for the length of your trip. I don't know though if that is a DVC perk or if everyone stays there can do that, it's free....

One last thing, the slide if she decides to try it, have two people go up with her. You go down the slide first and then stay there to catch her, that is what dh does and after she goes, I just either go down the slide or turn around and walk down the steps again. The point being, you will not be able to ride the slide with her.

I seem to remember a major thread on that board awhile back
concerning young children and the Kiester Coaster.

Personally, I would not let a 2 yo do it, although the lifeguards will allow it. The slide is rather wide, and, IMO, it would be very easy for a child that small to spin around completely on the way down, and perhaps strike his head on the side of the slide in one of the turns.

My daughter wouldn't go down the Keister Coaster until this past trip when she turned seven. I've seen much younger children go down, so it depends on your child. You can't go down with your kids, and you can't wait at the bottom for them. They should be okay with getting water in their faces, possibly going under for a second and be able to swim away from the end of the slide.

... and absolutely loved it! We just put floaties on him and he went down over and over again every day it was open during our visit! Our 6-year-old loved it as well. I think it looks a lot scarier than it really is.

Have a great trip,
Sarah

You can't go down with your kids, and you can't wait at the bottom for them.
Why can't you wait at the bottom for them?

What I mean is that you can't stand at the bottom like you can at some other slides to sort of "catch" your kid. I think about the closest you can get would be several feet away. I remember asking about this before my daughter was able to swim. Maybe someone else has a better grasp on the offical policy, etc.

You can wait at the bottom just off to the side. If you tell the lifeguard I think they'll be ok. They just don't want people standing right at the bottom. Our DD was almost 4 when we went last Oct. She went down once, loved it, went down a second time and got water in her mouth and wouldn't go back the rest of the trip. When we went again in Feb. she kept talking about how she was 4 now and a big girl and was going to go on it. (She turned 4 in Dec.) Well, she must have gone 50 times a day (whether she got water in her face or not!). I thought her little legs would fall off walking those stairs so many times - she's small for her age. She has one of those bathing suits with the built in floaties and could swim all the way to the side herself so if we were a few feet away she could still get over to the ladder. Our 8 year old neighbor boy was there too and absolutely refused to try it even once so I agree that it just depends on the kid.

My children loved the slide last trip and they were 6 and 9.

What I really wanted to add here was we thought the guard staff at Luna pool were so friendly and nice! I'm sure if you chat with them before you child goes down they will help you out. During the week we were there the guards learned and remembered our kids names. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but my kids really liked that. One of the guards promised to bring my DD a splash ball the next day after DD mentioned that we forgot to pack ours, and the guard did just that!:cool:

aahhhh....the Keister Coaster! What fun that is! Our whole family enjoyed it, not just the kids!

The slide is the first thing my daughter mentions when we talk about returning. She was 2 1/2 the first time and we've been back every year since and it's still the single most important thing to her!

There's those light-weight life vests that can be used during your stay that are available in the game "hut" by the quiet pool. Just show your room key to use one during your stay.

Also, some of the lifeguards won't let yo uget right in front of the clown's mouth to get your little one, but you can request one of THEM to stand there with their padded "kid catcher" and they'll do it. The water in front of the mouth is about mid chest to me and I'm 5'3".

Hope the info helps!

BW = Boardwalk (generally referring to the actual boardwalk where the resturants, shops and entertainment is but some use it to describe the whole resort)

BWI = Boardwalk Inn

BWV = Boardwalk Villas

Hope that helps!:D

Back from BWI - whew ! that was a long walk to my room !! DD loved slide and lifeguards were great w/her. Thanks for all your comments !:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter