Poor sportsmanship at Olympics

I thought Michael phelps showed poor sportsmanship a few nights ago after he beat his German(?) rival. He was sitting on the ropes and posing for the crowd and pumping them up..looked silly.
If you mean his gold medal performance, it was his South African rival who'd spent the pre-match time taunting him. I don't consider Phelps the poor sportsman in that entire encounter. And I don't consider any athlete reveling in a well-earned victory to be a poor sport. if you're referring to a different event I didn't see, please disregard all above.

This one, an Egyptian refusing to shake the hands of an Israeli after he was defeated, is an example of a true loser, not because of his loss on the mat, but because of his hate towards his opponent.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/egyptian-judoka-refuses-shake-israeli-opponents-hand-41328412

I didn't see that one. That is an example of poor sportsmanship, though I do take the point of the official in the article that it's progress that they even agreed to the match in the first place. it is very interesting that Judo as a sport requires a bow and will even be investigating if further action should be taken for his lack of sportsmanship.

I have not seen any behavior I'd consider poor sportsmanship

A number of the swimmers have sat on the ropes after winning.

And all of us at our house yell "Get off the ropes". My son has been a lifeguard for his summers for several years and we've belonged to a pool with lap lanes for many more. One of the main things they have to say to kids on a weekly basis is.... "Get off the ropes". It bugs us to no end to see it at the Olympics. What happens if the things break or their tightness is compromised and messes up the lanes?

And all of us at our house yell "Get off the ropes". My son has been a lifeguard for his summers for several years and we've belonged to a pool with lap lanes for many more. One of the main things they have to say to kids on a weekly basis is.... "Get off the ropes". It bugs us to no end to see it at the Olympics. What happens if the things break or their tightness is compromised and messes up the lanes?

I'm guessing they would fix or tighten them.

I it is very interesting that Judo as a sport requires a bow and will even be investigating if further action should be taken for his lack of sportsmanship.

After the US lady won in Judo against the French lady yesterday...I'm not sure the French opponent actually bowed to her....it was a very shallow one if so.

If you mean his gold medal performance, it was his South African rival who'd spent the pre-match time taunting him. I don't consider Phelps the poor sportsman in that entire encounter. And I don't consider any athlete reveling in a well-earned victory to be a poor sport. if you're referring to a different event I didn't see, please disregard all above.

You're right, it was South Africa. For some reason, I always confuse him for German. He may have done pre-match taunting but Michael Phelps was the one showing off after he won. It seemed like he was taunting and rubbing it in that he won. You may see it differently and that's fine.

I'm guessing they would fix or tighten them.

Well, yeah, but it would mess up timing of the events, right? And sometimes loose lanes are not noticed at first but cause waves in adjacent lanes that normally wouldn't be there.
It may not be a big deal at all for the Olympic folks though. Just bugs us.

Well, yeah, but it would mess up timing of the events, right? And sometimes loose lanes are not noticed at first but cause waves in adjacent lanes that normally wouldn't be there.
It may not be a big deal at all for the Olympic folks though. Just bugs us.

I have to imagine the Olympic lanes are more closely monitored than your local or even state level swim meets are. I've seen pro-swimmers pulling and sitting on the ropes after wins at every major world event. I think it is after being told for years not to do it that it is suddenly a release being able to haha.

Last edited:

I'm a former lifeguard and I yell 'get off the ropes' too! :rotfl:

With Israel vs Egypt it is a small improvement. At least he didn't forfeit.

There are some massive rivalries going on in the pools so there has been some minor poor sportsmanship in those events. I find the finger wagging to be a little juvenile but these are athletes who have proven themselves time and time again. I can imagine if anyone beats Phelps or Ladecky they will be make even bigger deals then those two have been. Most of the issues in the pool are coming from the doping scandal so it seems tensions are tight there.

I loved see the great sportsmanship after the men's all around gymnastics. It was great to see every single couch congratulate the first and second place guys with hugs and handshakes. You could tell all those athletes are well respected.

I didn't see that one. That is an example of poor sportsmanship, though I do take the point of the official in the article that it's progress that they even agreed to the match in the first place. it is very interesting that Judo as a sport requires a bow and will even be investigating if further action should be taken for his lack of sportsmanship.

I have not seen any behavior I'd consider poor sportsmanship

Some others have refused to compete at all against Israelis, forfeiting the match. Another groups, athletes from Lebanon, refused to ride a bus with Israelis. How sad is that?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/10/israeli-athletes-rio-olympics-endure-shocking-host/

Most of the issues in the pool are coming from the doping scandal so it seems tensions are tight there.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some who see Lilly King's comments and behavior as unsportsmanlike -- but if I beat someone who'd been busted for doping I'd probably be a bit obnoxious about it too. It was pure pandering that the IOC let Russia compete after the evidence of their extensive, nationwide doping program -- for both the Olympics and the ParaOlympics was discovered.

Poor sportsmanship? How about some good old anti-Semitism? How is this not making headlines?

The head of the Lebanese Olympic delegation blocked Israeli athletes from entering a bus that the teams shared. That's pretty bad.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/10/israeli-athletes-rio-olympics-endure-shocking-host/

“The bus driver opened the door, but this time the head of the Lebanese delegation blocked the aisle and entrance,” Mr. Gal said on Facebook. “The organizers wanted to avoid an international and physical incident and sent us away to a different bus.”

He said he was “enraged and shocked by this event.”

“How is it possible that they let something like this happen and on the opening night of the Olympic Games?” he said.

Miri Regev, Israeli minister of culture and sports, blasted the Lebanese incident as “anti-Semitism, pure and simple, and the worst kind of racism.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter