• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century (etc.)--Bad Views

SpinDocMama

Earning My Ears
Hi! I just booked a "regular" room at the Pop Century and I was wondering if I should upgrade to a preferred room OR a room with a view. Can you post your WORST views here? I'm not picky but I'd like to see SOMETHING and I'm curious... I stayed in NYC once and looked at a wall that felt so close I could touch it! I know this is uncommon, but can you post your WORST views here for Pop (and even other resorts) for reference? That would be helpful. We ended up "upgrading" to a balcony at the Swan when we went last year (it was our first time) and we thought it was worth it to have the extra space, but I'm not sure about this time since it's just a view, not a balcony... PS... Also, I'm new here (first post!) so let me know if there is somewhere else I should be posting this question and/or checking on answers... Thanks in advance for your help! (mom of 2 boys, Boston, MA).

By looking at a resort map (DME, Touring Plans, etc), you'll be able to see which buildings/ rooms might possibly face the parking lots. For me, that would be a "worst view", but I'm not in the room except to sleep, so a view is irrelevant for me. I can't think of what else, at Pop, would be a bad view. Others may have perspectives I don't have.

First of all, welcome!!! :welcome:

I don’t have photos of the view from any of our Pop Century stays. You might want to take a look at Touring Plans room views (google that exact phrase, you’ll find it). They have views from the majority of rooms at Pop Century. There are standard rooms with great views and preferred rooms with not so great views. At Pop Century, preferred refers to the distance to dining and buses and not so much to what you’ll see from your room.

We tend not to keep the curtains in our room open except maybe first thing in the morning as we’re just waking up and don’t want the lights on yet. The reason is that there’s very little privacy if you keep the curtains open. The walkway to the stairs (at one end) and elevators (at the other) is outdoors, directly in front of the windows. We typically keep our curtains closed so that we don’t have everyone who walks past looking into our room.

I don’t have photos of the view from any of our Pop Century stays. You might want to take a look at Touring Plans room views (google that exact phrase, you’ll find it).

HOLY MOLY... How did I miss this? It's unbelievable... My word, I'm on information overload now... Thank you! I see that some of the rooms have a view of a wall, (or a "decoration") so it might be worth it for us... But keeping the shades drawn most of the time might be true for us, too... all the rooms have people walking by, right? There aren't any windows on the "other side" or are there? Trying to picture it...

When I stayed at the pop, I kept the curtains closed because of all the foot traffic walking by! So for me, no, I wouldn't pay for a view (probably wouldn't open the curtains). Had the same feeling when I stayed at ASMo.

Worst Disney view ever: AKL, parking lot. Herd 'o Hondas, man. However, the room itself was lovely, and I have been back to the resort.

HOLY MOLY... How did I miss this? It's unbelievable... My word, I'm on information overload now... Thank you! I see that some of the rooms have a view of a wall, (or a "decoration") so it might be worth it for us... But keeping the shades drawn most of the time might be true for us, too... all the rooms have people walking by, right? There aren't any windows on the "other side" or are there? Trying to picture it...
There are only windows on one side, the side that faces the walkway. So every room has people walking by. We usually either request a landscape or parking lot view because the rooms are quieter. You couldn't pay me to book a pool view room, way too loud.

This is very helpful. I will request a "high floor" by contacting them but otherwise keep my reservation as is... I think for us a view would not be a benefit since there is no balcony and an outdoor hallway. Thank you all so much for your help!

Think motel, not hotel. All the rooms have doors to the outside with the walkway. Personally, when staying in a value resort view isn't on the radar for us. Like others, we keep the curtains closed at all times since people are always walking by. In theory you could walk outside your room and stand in the walkway and look at the view but I'm not sure anyone actually does. I wouldn't pay for preferred either. There are rooms that are fairly close to the main building, just a walk through a parking lot.

I think the worst possible view you're going to get is a parking lot view. I'm with the others--I don't care much about the view from my Pop window. I keep the curtains closed while we're changing or getting dressed or sleeping. We mainly use the room as a place to wash up and sleep. We don't really sit and relax in the room.

This is very helpful. I will request a "high floor" by contacting them but otherwise keep my reservation as is... I think for us a view would not be a benefit since there is no balcony and an outdoor hallway. Thank you all so much for your help!

You could request lake view, there are tons of standard rooms where that would be possible. That's at least a little more pleasant than being right on the parking lots.

I dont spend a lot of time at the resort, but when im at pop I always request 60's lakeview, ground floor. So pretty! While inside the room though, the curtains are always firmly closed. There's no way to enjoy the view from inside your room unless you literally step outside. And I do love stepping outside and seeing the pretty lake view. So serene. :cloud9: One of the fond memories i have is standing at the connecting bridge to AoA with my son and watching people drop crackers/small pieces of bread into the lake....tons of huge turtles would come up to the surface. Pretty neat, as I had no idea there were turtles.
This is a picture of Pop (facing AoA) before the skyliner.

Pop_Lakeview.jpg

I don't like people looking into our room so I keep the light shade drawn during the day. The 'view' doesn't mean anything to me due to the style of Pop in that all rooms are accessed from external walkways.

We just went in November and had a standard room, we requested a room facing the lake, which we got. View is still nice to have for us, so we have paid a little extra for garden view at some resorts. When we are in the room during the day time (and not getting dressed) we always open the curtains to brighten up the room and to look out. We hate staying in a darken room and sometimes I need to do work and will sit by the window. I could care less if someone might happen to look into our room while they're walking by.

Honestly, you're not going to be looking out your window. Since you enter all the rooms from the outside, people pass your window all day. The only thing you might want to splurge on is the preferred room in a closer building to the main one if you don't want to do the long walk... my only stay there we were in the 90's building. My boyfriend and I don't mind doing the walk if it means we pay less, but when it's late and you're coming back from the park you might have wished you got the preferred room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter