Pop Century Room Renovations

Just got back, whirlwind two nights, 3 days, spent only sleep time at resort. Only saw daylight resort on my walk to lobby after first night to check out/in to my room. Building 10 looks to have drapes in all rooms. Thought that was a good sign (my thinking is you hang them last) until guys were rolling murphy beds down the sidewalks on dollies ............ so close. Never got near lake but could see cranes etc. Hopefully not as AWFUL as CBR looks right now, that would ruin my vacation if it was more than just a room to me.

I had two nights booked individually. Same resort, same category, same dates and same discount code ... but booking them together cost me $20 more per night so I booked individually. If I move I move whatever. I arrived Thursday morning, scanned a MagicBand ... since the boxes don't give info about reservation I had no idea which set was which so I brought both. CM says "You have two nights booked individually but we are going to keep you in the same room." YEAH! and I didn't even call but face it, MDE knows what I bought at the grocery last week so not surprised. Then I said "PLEASE can I have new room, anywhere, I want those beds." No problem if I will wait, sure ... it's 11 am figured I would anyway and going to park. Texted at 1 pm room ready. All I had to do was go down next morning to reset MB. No problem.

Room ...... my second visit to the new rooms, most my opinions stand.

VERY happy to find regular toiletries in my room, not dispensers but housekeeping did not replace any of them, nor my coffee products.

Still don't like the floors for multiple reason. Aside from the sterile ......... the rooms still echo'd some, and at 1 am the first night I could hear all kinds of folks walking around in their rooms. This would be arrival time after MNSSHP. I was on top floor so it wasn't like they were over me. This went on for about 30 minutes, listening to folks moving around. Also there were lots of scrapes and stains and in front of vanity looked like small burns maybe a curling iron? At one point I tossed a pillow on the bed, hit a bottle of water which in turn spilled on floor between the two beds. I threw some towels on it, waited a second to absorb and then wiped up the remaining water. UGH, the towel was dark grey ... floors ARE dirty.

Not sure if it was my room but I thought maybe due to top floor, but neither shower head could I get good pressure out of them. Plus of top floor is that this time I couldn't hear the other guests showers hitting the plastic tile walls. Very good the morning we slept in.

My phone did not charge very quick in the built in USB ports. Once I used my adapter in outlet it went much faster. I would not forget your adapters.

Bed still VERY COMFORTABLE!!! but guess I jinxed myself somehow and busted my shins a few times.

Overall good bus service, good food court service, great CMs at front desk but I do recognize many have been there for years .... as have I. As long as they keep the rates in check, I'll keep it as my home resort.

Now I am dying to know what building you were in. We were also just there on the 4th floor-we were in building 9. to those who are curious about how 10 is going I took some pictures for you since my unexpected trip to celebration hospital left me with an unplanned but much needed resort day. That day I saw them putting in murphy beds in the morning and as you can see from the photos, closets in the afternoon.
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG

I really like my room. I didnt bump my shins once and it was very quiet. It didnt feel far away in the mornings but late at night it felt very far away we were in room 9461 next to Mr. and Mrs. Potatoe head. It think part of why it felt so far was because we were on the fourth floor so I usually, particularly at night, wanted to use the elevator which meant I didnt take the most direct rout to my room. We ended up spending more time in the room than we had planned so I am very glad that pushed for the refurb'ed room. I also got the gift card housekeeping offer which worked great for us. My son loved that pluto bed and the way that the light in the bed is he was able to stay up reading with the light on without me feeling the the light was shining in my eyes. I didnt have any problem with water pressure like hopper fan did, and we really liked the rain shower. The folks in the food court were very serious about not giving a dessert with meals. A dessert, even with dinner, was a snack credit period-even though at AoA they let us get dessert. Because I got sick and ended up with more resort days I also ended up using a couple of TS credits at the food court-they still wouldn't let me have dessert. I also got PIZZA delivery and they still said a dessert wasnt included despite this

pizza rules.PNG

I said that they isnt how the DDP is presented to people when they are purchasing it and they said every resort and even each park can be different in how they accept the DDP which seemed a bit like the bait and switch to me. I plan to write Disney an email about it. I know its not a big deal and I ended up with about 11 extra snack credits at the end of our trip any way but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Overall I loved my room, and I really felt like the refurbishment was a vast improvement-our first night in a regular room wasn't bad but it brought home what an improvement the refurbished rooms are. Sadly everyone is asking for theses rooms and it's not easy to get one but if you are persistent with the front desk they should be able to get you in one even if its not the first room they give you.

Last edited:
We just checked out of 80's section last Sun. It looked to me that it would be a while to finish the 70's section. There were quite a few workers there every day and I talked to one of the men. He said they finish 12 rooms a day. Some rooms haven't even been started on yet. Maybe they got a lot done after we checked out but there was so much left to finish.

When making a call to make a room request is it just the reservation line you'd call? Or is there a special number?

Yep.

@Kindermouse thanks for the photos of 10. What wing of the building is that?

The side closest to classic hall and the parking lot near the playground. The opposite side-side facing building 6 actually looks a lot more done. My first night I was in building six-room 6238- and when I walked to it I was looking at the other side of the building and thinking that it was almost done. After seeing the back side it is most certainly not almost done.

The folks in the food court were very serious about not giving a dessert with meals. A dessert, even with dinner, was a snack credit period-even though at AoA they let us get dessert. Because I got sick and ended up with more resort days I also ended up using a couple of TS credits at the food court-they still wouldn't let me have dessert. I also got PIZZA delivery and they still said a dessert wasnt included despite this

View attachment 275426

I said that they isnt how the DDP is presented to people when they are purchasing it and they said every resort and even each park can be different in how they accept the DDP which seemed a bit like the bait and switch to me. I plan to write Disney an email about it. I know its not a big deal and I ended up with about 11 extra snack credits at the end of our trip any way but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Overall I loved my room, and I really felt like the refurbishment was a vast improvement-our first night in a regular room wasn't bad but it brought home what an improvement the refurbished rooms are. Sadly everyone is asking for theses rooms and it's not easy to get one but if you are persistent with the front desk they should be able to get you in one even if its not the first room they give you.
Quick service meals don't include a dessert, even with dinner. The fact that AoA was incorrectly giving desserts doesn't mean it's bait and switch. Why would you complain? Cause trouble for CMs working at AoA
They made mistake with dessert with pizza. You could have made an issue at the time. You were "cheated' out of 2 desserts. Sounds like you "cheated" Disney out of more then 2 desserts at AoA. Disney CMs made mistakes. You came out ahead. Why complain?

Last edited:
I said that they isnt how the DDP is presented to people when they are purchasing it and they said every resort and even each park can be different in how they accept the DDP which seemed a bit like the bait and switch to me.
I've never before heard of resorts being able to interpret the dining plans as they see fit. Never. Non-Disney-owned restaurants, yes absolutely.
I plan to write Disney an email about it.
Smart. The Pop actions and response make no sense at all.

I've never before heard of resorts being able to interpret the dining plans as they see fit. Never. Non-Disney-owned restaurants, yes absolutely.
Smart. The Pop actions and response make no sense at all.
What's available a a snack is sometimes open to interpertation. Substituting a snack for a drink is a courtesy. Pop made a mistake with pizza dessert. Poster made a mistake thinking QS dinners included dessert. Poster wound with extra snack credits. Came out on top. Too many guests complain and the plan might be literally interperted.
Edited to add. AoA CM was wrong. POP CM was being diplomatic and kind. Accept the pixie dust from AoA

Last edited:
WAS meals don't include a dessert, even with dinner. The fact that AoA was incorrectly giving desserts doesn't mean it's bait and switch. Why would you complain? Cause trouble for CMs working at AoA
They made mistake with dessert with pizza. You could have made an issue at the time. You were "cheated' out of 2 desserts. Sounds like you "cheated" Disney out of more then 2 desserts at AoA. Disney CMs made mistakes. You came out ahead. Why complain?
May I ask what a WAS meal is? I'm sure it's something obvious but apparently my brain does not want to think this Monday morning :-)

May I ask what a WAS meal is? I'm sure it's something obvious but apparently my brain does not want to think this Monday morning :-)
From Disney website
Each Quick-Service meal includes (for breakfast, lunch or dinner):

• 1 Entrée
  • 1 Non-alcoholic Beverage
Dessert was dropped from the plan, I think as of 1/1/17.

Poster had no trouble posting a cut and paste regarding dessert with pizza delivery. Correct information was available to the poster in same place.

From Disney website
Each Quick-Service meal includes (for breakfast, lunch or dinner):

• 1 Entrée
  • 1 Non-alcoholic Beverage
Dessert was dropped from the plan, I think as of 1/1/17.

Poster had no trouble posting a cut and paste regarding dessert with pizza delivery. Correct information was available to the poster in same website
But what does WAS stand for?

Are all the rooms in the 80's complete? We have a standard pool view and would like to request a renovated room in building 9.

From my understanding Kindermouse meant that Pop did not allow the beverage in a QS credit to be replaced by a snack credit, dessert in this case. There have been many many reports of resorts allowing this in 2017 because guests on the dining plan already have the resort mug, so the drink becomes useless for resort meals. I have understood this to be common practice at resort food courts this year, so imo Kindermouse was not in any way cheating the system. There is no need to shame her/him for expecting this common practice to be in place at Pop. I, for one, am grateful for this report because this solidifies our plans to have resort meals at AoA instead of Pop where we'll be staying.

Disney is the one who introduced the whole replacing beverages with a snack thing in the first place. There appears to be a severe lack of consistency in their policy and changing it every year doesn't help that. The guests are not to blame for that. Especially not in this case, where guests are punished in a way for eating at their resort.

From my understanding Kindermouse meant that Pop did not allow the beverage in a QS credit to be replaced by a snack credit, dessert in this case. There have been many many reports of resorts allowing this in 2017 because guests on the dining plan already have the resort mug, so the drink becomes useless for resort meals. I have understood this to be common practice at resort food courts this year, so imo Kindermouse was not in any way cheating the system. There is no need to shame her/him for expecting this common practice to be in place at Pop. I, for one, am grateful for this report because this solidifies our plans to have resort meals at AoA instead of Pop where we'll be staying.

Disney is the one who introduced the whole replacing beverages with a snack thing in the first place. There appears to be a severe lack of consistency in their policy and changing it every year doesn't help that. The guests are not to blame for that. Especially not in this case, where guests are punished in a way for eating at their resort.
My comments were made in response to the posters plans to complain to Disney about the POP CMs who weren't willing to bend the rules.

I don't think much of the current food plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter