Port Orleans: French Quarter or Riverside??

I used to prefer Riverside because there was more to do there.. I liked the pool there more, I love the royal rooms and the food court. But we stayed at POR in November and walked over to POFQ one night for beignets and we kept saying how we should've stayed there instead lol. Our room at POR was further away and the buses were not great. I haven't stayed at POFQ since 2014 but I love how small it is, the food court has been updated since then, the rooms have all been refurbished and just the all around charm of the resort is really something.

FWIW POR seems to have more discounted rooms available. The question might be how much of a price premium you're willing to pay for POFQ.
In my case bounce back rate vs rack rate.

we love the total package; the atmosphere, the mansions with their manicured lawns, the tropical trees and foliage of the Bayou, the Mill, and it has the best store in all of WDW, IMO.

I couldn't agree more. This is a spot-on depiction of POR and why it's my favorite, too!

I absolutely adore French Quarter. The hotel is extremely intimate and you truly feel like you're somewhere other than WDW property.

This couldn't be more true! "Intimate" is the perfect word to describe POFQ.

Port Orleans is my favorite place to stay in comparison to all other resorts, but between POR and POFQ my opinion is in favor of POR! The Riverside portion of PO is absolutely picturesque and when I stayed at POR in 2015 we had a beautiful lakefront view and a pool just steps away from our building. However, my stay at POFQ in 2017 was lovely because the grounds are similar in beauty but the amenities are much closer to the rooms! Depending on your preferences, if you prefer more amenities (dining, pool, etc), POR is where it's at. If you prefer a shorter walk to/from transportation and an overall smaller resort, POFQ is the place to be. It will be an enjoyable stay regardless! :flower3:

Last edited:
FWIW, I believe you can still use the pools at POR if you stay at FQ since they are sister resorts. That used to be the case unless there have been changes.

I like being in a building next to a "quiet" pool; it is a bit of a walk from FQ.

Whether staying at FQ or POR, the FQ pool may be worth a visit for folks with little kids due to the splash pad there.

I like being in a building next to a "quiet" pool; it is a bit of a walk from FQ.

Whether staying at FQ or POR, the FQ pool may be worth a visit for folks with little kids due to the splash pad there.
You can take the boat between the resorts once it starts running, if you'd prefer not to walk.

You can take the boat between the resorts once it starts running, if you'd prefer not to walk.
I know that but that takes time as well which is why I prefer to have a room near a quiet pool. There are days when I would want to make a quick pool visit; there are other days, when the additional time to get to a specific pool doesn't matter.

I know that but that takes time as well which is why I prefer to have a room near a quiet pool. There are days when I would want to make a quick pool visit; there are other days, when the additional time to get to a specific pool doesn't matter.
For those not aware, POFQ has one pool, PP is referring to POR.

Can you guys name a couple places are fun to eat at for both resorts. Staying riverside in oct. We would walk over to fq for a look and some eats. Gow long a walk you ya estimate? Say lobby to lobby.
Thanks.

There is an internal shuttle bus between the two resorts as well as the boat although the walk is beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter