Port Orleans Riverside - Dogs

dizgirl14

Earning My Ears
have kids that are very allergic to dogs. How are the rooms are POR? Do they clean them very good? Are the dogs all over the resort? Debating if I should switch resorts.

have kids that are very allergic to dogs. How are the rooms are POR? Do they clean them very good? Are the dogs all over the resort? Debating if I should switch resorts.
You can call and request an allergy clean. Any room you stay in, any where could have had a service dog in it.

If it were me I would switch to one that would want dog friendly and still call ahead. French Quarter is very nice, and you could still use the pool at Riverside if you wanted.

I think the dog bookable rooms are separate? It’s like smoking rooms in hotels, they only put people who ask for it.

Riverside has a few buildings were dogs are allowed to stay as pets and the owners are expected to keep them out of common areas. I've seen a lot of owners claim their dogs are service animals so they are allowed everywhere, not just at the resort, but in the parks and everywhere else in public. It's a shame that responsible people that actually have a service animal are lumped in with those owners. My son is allergic and scared of dogs, so he normally walks on the opposite side of me if we have to walk past a dog. Locally a woman claimed a raccoon was her service animal-not sure what service it provided but she said she was a cancer survivor and that's why she needed the raccoon with her. I can just imagine the scenario if a not-real service dog saw the service raccoon in a store.

Riverside has a few buildings were dogs are allowed to stay as pets and the owners are expected to keep them out of common areas. I've seen a lot of owners claim their dogs are service animals so they are allowed everywhere, not just at the resort, but in the parks and everywhere else in public. It's a shame that responsible people that actually have a service animal are lumped in with those owners. My son is allergic and scared of dogs, so he normally walks on the opposite side of me if we have to walk past a dog. Locally a woman claimed a raccoon was her service animal-not sure what service it provided but she said she was a cancer survivor and that's why she needed the raccoon with her. I can just imagine the scenario if a not-real service dog saw the service raccoon in a store.
Honestly I think that people do need service dogs, but I also agree with you that people have absolutely abused the use of them. And I have always been so frustrated with the complete lack of understanding and respect for humans especially kids with allergies and dogs. Kids can get very sick, but for the most part it doesn't matter to people who have a dog.

I'm writing as one who is truly deathly allergic to dogs (cats, horses, etc....yeah, it's awful, because I love animals). Anyway, just note that dogs can presumably stay at any resort if they are "service dogs". That being said, I have stayed in most resorts and never had a problem. You can call and have a note added to your reservation for a "deep cleaning due to severe allergies". I have never so much as sneezed, let alone had any of my other horrible symptoms. I'd make the front desk aware, immediately, if you have any problems so that no one gets compromised by a previous doggo resident. I hope, no matter where you choose to stay, that you have good attention paid to your room and that your trip is the best ever! :dog::love:

Riverside has a few buildings were dogs are allowed to stay as pets and the owners are expected to keep them out of common areas. I've seen a lot of owners claim their dogs are service animals so they are allowed everywhere, not just at the resort, but in the parks and everywhere else in public.

Those might be “the rules” they started with, but we’ve stayed at Riverside & Yacht Club. Dogs have been in common areas at both. There have even been pictures of dogs in the food courts. Best to just expect dogs anywhere at the dog friendly resorts.

Hi, mom of a daughter who is also severely allergic to dogs. In over a dozen stays at various Disney resorts, we have never had an issue. I totally understand your concern though. I would advise calling and placing a note on your reservation. This is the dog policy: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/rooms-packages/hotels-pet-friendly/

In the past we've considered staying at POR or Yacht Club (both dog friendly). During research for those trips, I found this regarding POR (not an official Disney website, by a POR fan):
  • Buildings 24 and 15 are where most "dog rooms" are booked
  • Overflow are the end-wing sections of Acadian House (bldg 80) or Parterre Place (bldg 95)
Best of luck in whatever you decide. Just throwing this out there, but if you like the idea of POR, you could price POFQ and see if it makes sense to switch. You are allowed to use the pools at both resorts. There is a walkway between the resorts or you can usually take an internal shuttle bus or boat.

Those might be “the rules” they started with, but we’ve stayed at Riverside & Yacht Club. Dogs have been in common areas at both. There have even been pictures of dogs in the food courts. Best to just expect dogs anywhere at the dog friendly resorts.
I know. We were at River Roost waiting for Yeeha Bob and we very clearly saw a little dog hiding under a nearby table with a service animal cloth on its back. The people with it alternated taking it outside every hour. When Bob started his show, it cowered even more from the noise. We've seen several dogs just outside the food court. Why people would allow an animal that they "love", to walk on the hot concrete is beyond me. We stayed at Pop several years ago and was taking a bus to a park when a "service dog" that was with a family wanted to be friendly with my son-the woman holding the leash had let it go. My son is terrified of dogs and this dog came out of nowhere.

I always stay at Riverside, last October they put us in building 80 in a dog friendly room. We were all coughing not stop. One night the Ac broke, when the repairmen open the ac unit to fix it, we understood why. The filter was FULL of dog hair, it was disgusting. So no they do not clean it really good.

We saw several dogs on the trip from which we just returned. In restaurants (Steakhouse 71 had two extremely well-behaved dogs at a table next to us), at Disney Springs, and at MK (we were in line for Space behind a dog wearing protective croc-like shoes) and Animal Kingdom. So you need to be prepared for interactions at places other than your hotel.

I am not allergic to dogs, and am a dog lover for sure, however my biggest concern is when we're having a much needed rest in the room or an early night, will there be dogs barking incessantly in the room next door? I'm so disappointed to find this resort allows dogs, as I was really looking forward to it. May have to look at French Quarter now 😢

I'm writing as one who is truly deathly allergic to dogs (cats, horses, etc....yeah, it's awful, because I love animals). Anyway, just note that dogs can presumably stay at any resort if they are "service dogs". That being said, I have stayed in most resorts and never had a problem. You can call and have a note added to your reservation for a "deep cleaning due to severe allergies". I have never so much as sneezed, let alone had any of my other horrible symptoms. I'd make the front desk aware, immediately, if you have any problems so that no one gets compromised by a previous doggo resident. I hope, no matter where you choose to stay, that you have good attention paid to your room and that your trip is the best ever! :dog::love:

Just what I was going to say (well, not that I'm allergic, but the rest). Service animals (legit or questionable but declared) can stay in ANY room in ANY hotel regardless of "pet-friendly" status. So if allergies are a real problem, you should be requesting a deep clean every time you stay in a hotel because you never know when a service animal could have been staying there.

I am not allergic to dogs, and am a dog lover for sure, however my biggest concern is when we're having a much needed rest in the room or an early night, will there be dogs barking incessantly in the room next door? I'm so disappointed to find this resort allows dogs, as I was really looking forward to it. May have to look at French Quarter now 😢

For our next trip, we were planning to stay at YC until I read that the "original" plan of putting pet dogs only on the ground floor near the quiet pool had been abandoned and now pet dogs can be placed anywhere in the resort. DH refuses to take the chance so we moved our ressie over to BC. We just don't want to have barking dogs in the adjacent rooms and wandering around the public areas. I understand YC folks often walk their dogs over to the BC public areas as well but hopefully less often than the areas at YC.

I don't hate dogs. I like dogs. I just don't want to see, hear, or smell dogs in my resort room or in areas I may be eating or drinking.

There's always a chance of a screaming child or crying baby next door when trying to take a nap. If a dog is barking incessantly you can contact the front desk (or go there for probably quicker results) and they will contact the owner. Part of the agreement is that the dog will not disturb other guests.

I have a service dog and due to people passing their dogs off as service dogs and the attitude towards seeing a dog at the resorts/parks is the primary reason I will not bring her. Generally my difficulties bringing her are the people trying to pet or interact with her. But more and more I’ve started to become self-conscious when she’s with me. Just remember that there are legitimate service dogs who will be at the resorts, parks, and indeed common areas (e.g. restaurants) who are working. They don’t always where a vest (it is not required). Trust me that service dog owners definitely don’t want their dogs interacting with others and vice versa. And just a note about barking—some service dogs do bark when alerting to an issue. For the most part, my girl only barks if the tactile cues aren’t enough (generally when I’m sleeping).

Call and tell them you need an allergy cleaned room. Dogs can be in any room as service animals and their owners can be placed in any room at any resort.

There's always a chance of a screaming child or crying baby next door when trying to take a nap.
I appreciate that but the children are unlikely to be left alone, and have a parent who will hopefully try to soothe them. I asked a valid question as it is a concern for us when staying at a new resort. I have stayed at many resorts, many times and never have I seen a dog anywhere.

I have a service dog and due to people passing their dogs off as service dogs and the attitude towards seeing a dog at the resorts/parks is the primary reason I will not bring her. Generally my difficulties bringing her are the people trying to pet or interact with her. But more and more I’ve started to become self-conscious when she’s with me. Just remember that there are legitimate service dogs who will be at the resorts, parks, and indeed common areas (e.g. restaurants) who are working. They don’t always where a vest (it is not required). Trust me that service dog owners definitely don’t want their dogs interacting with others and vice versa. And just a note about barking—some service dogs do bark when alerting to an issue. For the most part, my girl only barks if the tactile cues aren’t enough (generally when I’m sleeping).
I hate that you don't take your service dog with you to WDW because of the way some people react to them. I know there is a lot of negativity about people who fake it with their dogs with fake internet covers or jackets for them. It's a sad thing when someone who really needs and has one thinks he can't take his because of this.
Please go ahead and take your service dog with you and ignore the rudeness of others. I hope you will reconsider this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter