PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

I am the family Orlando theme park vacation planner, but I only know Disney and am trying to help my family of 4 with their first Universal trip.

Have a few questions:
Complimentary transportation from the airport – prior to 4PM, get your luggage and find the counter for the service. What to do if you arrive after 4PM (evening), Return to airport do you need to set it up in advance? How long before flight do they leave the hotel?

Grocery deliveries – you need to be there when the delivery service arrives (used Garden Grocer for Disney) what if your flight is late and you are not at the hotel?

Any where to buy milk, etc at the hotel?

Are there USB ports in the room to charge phones?

Towels at the pool?

Can/how do you charge things to your room when you are in the parks?

thank you in advance for any assistance, much appreciated.
I am not sure you still need an answer to this (sorry, I only saw this now). In case you do:

Grocery deliveries - generally yes, you need to be there. If you have something sent via Amazon Prime, they will typically hold it for you and send you a text saying they received a package for you. When you get back to the room, you can ask Room Service to bring the box to you. But that is for non-perishable / non-refrigerated items. For perishable items, my experience is that you need to get them to meet you in the lobby. I was once able to get Garden Grocer to deliver to Portofino Bay, but that was during the height of the pandemic. I am not sure they would do it now. Depending on who you get for the airport transfer, many companies offer a free grocery stop. Why not ask them to stop at the Publix on 9030 Universal Blvd, Orlando FL 32819? You can even pre-order the groceries for curbside pickup so that it will be a very short detour. I set this up with Ace Luxury Transportation, but I think many other companies offer a free 30 minute grocery stop.

Milk - I do believe they have this at the convenience/gift store near the lobby, but the selection is extremely limited. Obviously one solution is to have groceries delivered. Another solution (if you plan ahead) is to order Shelf-Stable Milk from Amazon. These do not require refrigeration, so it can be shipped as a normal Amazon Prime package and they can deliver it to your room. If you have never tried Shelf-Stable Milk, it tastes almost exactly like refrigerated milk. The primary difference is that Shelf-Stable Milk is heated at a higher temperature during the pasteurization process and then sealed to keep it fresh for up to 6 months. Once opened, it acts exactly like the typical refrigerated milk. There are many different brands of Shelf Stable Milk - Natrel, Parmalat, Horizon Organic and Organic Valley, to name a few. I think Walmart and Target also sell this milk, if you want to avoid Amazon.

USB Ports - While I counted 10 available plugs in the room, and 4 available plugs in the bathroom, I did not see any USB plugs. I would bring chargers with a USB port.

Pool towels - I think someone already answered this, but to also confirm, yes, they have these and I have never seen them run out. There are also typically 6 lifeguards on duty at any one time at the Beach Pool - I think this matters if you have kids and want to rest a bit.

How to charge things to your room at the Parks or Citywalk - In my experience, they will always ask for your room key so they can scan it. I never bring my credit card with me while I am on property. I just have them charge everything to the room by scanning my room key. I also always have them deliver all my purchases to the room - it always shows up the next day, usually by mid-afternoon. The charging priviledges work at all 3 parks and at Citywalk. On one trip, my kids went nuts at the Diagon Alley stores and we went over the daily charging limit that the hotel applies during check-in. It was very easy to get it bumped up - the store clerk called the Portofino front desk for me and it took less than a minute for them to look up my account and then increase the daily limit.

Some other commentary:

Where and how to do room requests - I have had luck emailing portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com and I ask for a room in the West Wing. For me, I want to be near the water taxi due to mobility issues, so I ask for the West Wing and ground floor. I also ask for the room to be defeathered. I am not entirely sure what that means, but it seems to make the room just a little cleaner. In my last trip, I was able to get a room that was 50 steps to the water taxi - this was for a Bay View room. But it is possible to get a room in the West Wing if you reserved a Garden View, it just won't have a sliding door opening to the piazza (near the water taxi).

Alarm clocks - unlike Disney, the hotel rooms do have alarm clocks. Although it is much more fun to set the wake-up calls to Spiderman or one of the other characters.

Musica della Notte - just ask at check-in what the schedule is. Or email portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com if you want to know ahead of your trip. More informally, the singers tend to come out around 7pm (sometimes it is a little later at 7:30pm). But this is outside of the Harbor Nights festivities.

Trattoria del Porto - this is hit or miss for me, but one night we had a fun experience. It was a Saturday and they brought in a magician that day. We managed to go when there was a lull in crowds and we were one of two families with kids - and the other one had toddlers. The magician setup in the table next to us and spent the next 15 to 20 minutes doing magic tricks for my fascinated son, who was 11 at the time and thoroughly impressed at having a private magic show. While it is hard to know what acts they will bring in, if you happen to be there on a weekend, you might want to stop and ask. They may have a fun performer planned.

Suite questions - I recommend emailing portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com and asking to forward your request to the Rooms Controller. Explain what you want and they can recommend the best suite configuration for you. This is because different areas of the resort have different room configurations, so if you want the West Wing near the water taxis and Beach Pool, then they will have different options than say the East Wing, which has the Villa Pool. Suites also get booked quickly, so they can help you think through different options based on availability. The Rooms Controller can also tell you whether or not it will have a balcony (or patio).

I am not sure you still need an answer to this (sorry, I only saw this now). In case you do:

Grocery deliveries - generally yes, you need to be there. If you have something sent via Amazon Prime, they will typically hold it for you and send you a text saying they received a package for you. When you get back to the room, you can ask Room Service to bring the box to you. But that is for non-perishable / non-refrigerated items. For perishable items, my experience is that you need to get them to meet you in the lobby. I was once able to get Garden Grocer to deliver to Portofino Bay, but that was during the height of the pandemic. I am not sure they would do it now. Depending on who you get for the airport transfer, many companies offer a free grocery stop. Why not ask them to stop at the Publix on 9030 Universal Blvd, Orlando FL 32819? You can even pre-order the groceries for curbside pickup so that it will be a very short detour. I set this up with Ace Luxury Transportation, but I think many other companies offer a free 30 minute grocery stop.

Milk - I do believe they have this at the convenience/gift store near the lobby, but the selection is extremely limited. Obviously one solution is to have groceries delivered. Another solution (if you plan ahead) is to order Shelf-Stable Milk from Amazon. These do not require refrigeration, so it can be shipped as a normal Amazon Prime package and they can deliver it to your room. If you have never tried Shelf-Stable Milk, it tastes almost exactly like refrigerated milk. The primary difference is that Shelf-Stable Milk is heated at a higher temperature during the pasteurization process and then sealed to keep it fresh for up to 6 months. Once opened, it acts exactly like the typical refrigerated milk. There are many different brands of Shelf Stable Milk - Natrel, Parmalat, Horizon Organic and Organic Valley, to name a few. I think Walmart and Target also sell this milk, if you want to avoid Amazon.

USB Ports - While I counted 10 available plugs in the room, and 4 available plugs in the bathroom, I did not see any USB plugs. I would bring chargers with a USB port.

Pool towels - I think someone already answered this, but to also confirm, yes, they have these and I have never seen them run out. There are also typically 6 lifeguards on duty at any one time at the Beach Pool - I think this matters if you have kids and want to rest a bit.

How to charge things to your room at the Parks or Citywalk - In my experience, they will always ask for your room key so they can scan it. I never bring my credit card with me while I am on property. I just have them charge everything to the room by scanning my room key. I also always have them deliver all my purchases to the room - it always shows up the next day, usually by mid-afternoon. The charging priviledges work at all 3 parks and at Citywalk. On one trip, my kids went nuts at the Diagon Alley stores and we went over the daily charging limit that the hotel applies during check-in. It was very easy to get it bumped up - the store clerk called the Portofino front desk for me and it took less than a minute for them to look up my account and then increase the daily limit.

Some other commentary:

Where and how to do room requests - I have had luck emailing portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com and I ask for a room in the West Wing. For me, I want to be near the water taxi due to mobility issues, so I ask for the West Wing and ground floor. I also ask for the room to be defeathered. I am not entirely sure what that means, but it seems to make the room just a little cleaner. In my last trip, I was able to get a room that was 50 steps to the water taxi - this was for a Bay View room. But it is possible to get a room in the West Wing if you reserved a Garden View, it just won't have a sliding door opening to the piazza (near the water taxi).

Alarm clocks - unlike Disney, the hotel rooms do have alarm clocks. Although it is much more fun to set the wake-up calls to Spiderman or one of the other characters.

Musica della Notte - just ask at check-in what the schedule is. Or email portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com if you want to know ahead of your trip. More informally, the singers tend to come out around 7pm (sometimes it is a little later at 7:30pm). But this is outside of the Harbor Nights festivities.

Trattoria del Porto - this is hit or miss for me, but one night we had a fun experience. It was a Saturday and they brought in a magician that day. We managed to go when there was a lull in crowds and we were one of two families with kids - and the other one had toddlers. The magician setup in the table next to us and spent the next 15 to 20 minutes doing magic tricks for my fascinated son, who was 11 at the time and thoroughly impressed at having a private magic show. While it is hard to know what acts they will bring in, if you happen to be there on a weekend, you might want to stop and ask. They may have a fun performer planned.

Suite questions - I recommend emailing portofinocustomerservice@loewshotels.com and asking to forward your request to the Rooms Controller. Explain what you want and they can recommend the best suite configuration for you. This is because different areas of the resort have different room configurations, so if you want the West Wing near the water taxis and Beach Pool, then they will have different options than say the East Wing, which has the Villa Pool. Suites also get booked quickly, so they can help you think through different options based on availability. The Rooms Controller can also tell you whether or not it will have a balcony (or patio).
What a fantastic post! Thanks so much!

So, I just booked a 2-bedroom Villa Suite for myself, my son, my daughter, SIL, and two granddaughters for four nights in early May. Has anyone ever stayed in one of these suites? I am just wondering if they have anything stocked in the Kitchenette, or if it would be best to just bring everything we would want with us from home. My daughter and her family and I all live in Savannah so transporting everything is not an issue, but I do not want to be redundant.
Any information is appreciated.

Following this thread, amazing amount of info, as we just booked our first Universal vacation package at Portofino Bay for July\August! We are 20 year Disney vacation veterans and just needed a change this year, not to mention the increased pricing, genie etc.

Anyway, we booked a 7 night stay with 5 day, 3 park, park to park tickets. The resort looks absolutely gorgeous and we are looking to spend a lot of down time there, just relaxing and enjoying the amenities. The entire resort, parks, City Walk etc. are completely new to us. Hard to believe we have been visiting Florida and Disney for 20+ years and this will be brand new. Really excited!
We are doing the same thing this year

Hi all! New to Universal and staying 3 nights 6/21-6/24. Do rates at the Universal hotels fluctuate frequently?

I booked both PB and HRH because I'm not sure where we want to stay (worried about construction at HRH, but it was cheaper). 5 days later I was playing around with my dates and realized the same room for the same dates had dropped $80/night for the PB. Obviously, I rebooked. (Now PB and HRH garden view are the same price.) But why would this happen, and during a rather busy season? Is this a sign that PB wasn't booking? Am I supposed to keep checking until we leave to see if it drops again and is still available? Thanks in advance.

It is possible a group/conference block was released and they released it into a less expensive rate bucket. Could it happen again? Possibly, though the rates are more likely to go up as you get closer to your dates. If you want to be sure you catch any possible rate reductions again, then yes, you would want to keep checking the rates on a periodic basis.

I can't seem to find any info about the fitness center. Does anyone know the hours and where it is located. Printed out a map and it doesn't show it.

I can't seem to find any info about the fitness center. Does anyone know the hours and where it is located. Printed out a map and it doesn't show it.

It`s part of the Mandara Spa area.

It used to be open 5am till 8pm, but maybe call to confirm those hours now.

Current hours for the fitness center are 7am to 7pm.

That`s good to know, thank you. I called and emailed someone and was told two different times by different people......lol......

We are staying in a club level room at the Portofino Bay Hotel in May. Had a couple of questions but called them directly and they answered them. I'm really looking forward to checking out the Portofino Bay. Last time we went to Universal was almost 10 years ago and we stayed at the Royal Pacific Hotel. We really loved it but wanted to try something new this time.

Last edited:
We booked a club level room because that was the only type available. Are they all garden views? Can we access the lounge to grab snacks and drinks late at night? I don't think we'll be at the hotel during food service hours other than breakfast.

We booked a club level room because that was the only type available. Are they all garden views? Can we access the lounge to grab snacks and drinks late at night? I don't think we'll be at the hotel during food service hours other than breakfast.

You can grab any snacks and non alcoholic drinks anytime the lounge is open. Wine and beers are only available during evening hot food offerings.

Hi! I just booked a suite for our upcoming September trip. Suite is a ‘2-Bedroom Portofino Suite consisting of a living area a Garden View King Room and a Garden View 2 Queen Room’. I read through the sticky and tried Google, but can’t find the answer to my question — do you still have to pay the additional fee for any adults (after the 2nd adult) in the suites? We will have 4 adults and 5 kids. Says the suite sleeps 10 - so we are good there. Just really hoping we don’t also have an additional $40x2 charge across our 6 night stay 😭

I was also wondering if any of these rooms received the updated bathroom configuration (standing shower with glass door - vs old tub configuration)? I tried to find videos on YouTube, but there wasn’t much for these suites, and really nothing recent at all. I don’t think any of the garden view portofino suites have balconies or patios, but couldn’t find a definite answer. I so wish Touring Plans included UOF rooms in their room finder tool 😭 any suggestions on good room requests for the type of suite I have would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I just booked a suite for our upcoming September trip. Suite is a ‘2-Bedroom Portofino Suite consisting of a living area a Garden View King Room and a Garden View 2 Queen Room’. I read through the sticky and tried Google, but can’t find the answer to my question — do you still have to pay the additional fee for any adults (after the 2nd adult) in the suites? We will have 4 adults and 5 kids. Says the suite sleeps 10 - so we are good there. Just really hoping we don’t also have an additional $40x2 charge across our 6 night stay 😭

In my experience, no. I had 6 adults and one child in a 1br suite and when booking it the rate didn't change no matter how many adults I put in (I added one before the trip and one at the desk at checkin).

My room was in west wing overlooking pool and that was garden view. Good location, close to pool and the boat.

I was also wondering if any of these rooms received the updated bathroom configuration (standing shower with glass door - vs old tub configuration)? I tried to find videos on YouTube, but there wasn’t much for these suites, and really nothing recent at all. I don’t think any of the garden view portofino suites have balconies or patios, but couldn’t find a definite answer. I so wish Touring Plans included UOF rooms in their room finder tool 😭 any suggestions on good room requests for the type of suite I have would be greatly appreciated!
When I booked our 2-bedroom Villa Suite for May, they gave me the quote for the four nights, did all the booking and down payment, and then asked for the names of all of the guests. The emailed copy of my reservation did not have an updated total and we will have four adults and two children, so I would assume that you pay the rate they quote for the suite for whatever number of guests you have, up to the maximum allowed.

Hi everyone!! I just booked a 7 night stay at Portofino near the end of August(family of 4, 2 adults, 2 teenagers) I decided to pay the extra(about $80.00 per night) to upgrade to a club level room. We tried club level at royal pacific about 5 years ago and enjoyed it for the most part(we enjoyed the breakfast but found the evening appetizers to be just ok)

We have visited Portofino during the afternoon to enjoy the pool but other than that we are fairly new to the resort. Our kids ages 14 and 17 requested Portofino because they loved the "feel" of the resort.

I have tried to read through most of this thread but I still have a few questions and I am sure I will have more as we get closer...

1) Does anyone know if the evening appetizers run on a 4 or 7 day cycle. We were wondering if we will get the same food twice during our stay. Also does anyone have a picture of a current club lounge "menu". I would love to to get an idea of what is currently offered even though I know it will change by August.

2) Would anyone have current pictures of the club lounge renovation. It looks like it is beautiful!!! I have found a few pictures online but I would love to see more

3) I think I have read that the club rooms are garden view. Are any of them bay view?

4) Where should I request a room. I would love to be close to the lounge and also the water taxi.

Thank you all for you help. This thread has provided me with so much information and is so helpful!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter