• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Portofino or Genoa

rammh

Mouseketeer
We have Portofino by boat booked but DCL just opened a Genoa culture tour. Culture/history and food. I am thinking my 16 year old might like that one better but am I totally missing out by not going to Portofino? Genoa visits several ancient shops which seems neat.

We went to Portofino and I have dreamed of going back ever since. Such a beautiful little place and so absolutely scenic. Loved it! I had my three kids with me who were (then) 21, 19 and 8 and they loved it too.

Personally, I wasn’t a huge fan of Genoa but that’s not to say you wouldn’t love it.

Been to both, on our on, not from a cruise. While we didn’t do anything in Genoa except drive around, it was a big city, I’m sure there are interesting things to see and do...but Portifino is magical. The village is lovely, lots of great shops. The port is beautiful with many little cafes and restaurants right on the water. I would go back to portifino in a heartbeat. Walk around, shop, have lunch, enjoy the ambiance.

My vote would be Portofino. It was one of my favorite excursions last year. The boat ride there was better then the ride back (back was closer to shore and so rougher). The town was beautiful and relaxing.

One thing to remember about Portofino is that most of the restaurants around the port charge a convenience fee for sitting down for a meal. Had a family of 4 last year question their 12 Euro convenience charge on their bill after they ate lunch.

Psy

I've not been to Portofino, but have done the Amalfi coast which may be similar. I was definitely not impressed with Genoa on our cruise. It's a large city with an old, cramped, narrow streets, somewhat dirty grey old town right down from the port. There is a lot of history there, and we learned a lot on our walking tour, but it was my least favorite port of that trip. Amalfi, on the other hand, was picturesque and much more open feeling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter