Poseidon's Folly - Vortex Crash

johare

DIS Veteran
Today we went to IOA for the fireworks and to check out the new Poseidon's Fury and it finally happened...the turbines which generate the water vortex cut out when the tunnel was full of people!!!

I saw this happen last December but it was before anyone actually started walking through the vortex. This time, the stone gate opened, the water vortex started as normal, everyone started walking through the tunnel and just as the tunnel got full of people and right before we stepped in we heard the turbines click off and all the water came crashing down on everyone in there.

I don't know if it's normal, but for some reason the door at the end wasn't open so we were all stuck in there until they opened a side door and walked us all down a hallway and out a back exit. Must have been an area where characters prepare 'backstage' because there was a big giant mirror right before we 're-entered' the park area with a sign that said something to the effect of "your on next...check to make sure you look the part".

They never did get the attraction working again this evening so I still haven't seen the main part of the show. Hopefully next time we'll have better luck.

Sounds like they have still got a few problems with this show then Johare! :(
Did they give you anything to compensate for the unexpected soaking?

I'm not sure if this problem is related to the new show. The water vortex collapsed last time I went to see the old Poseidon's Fury too. Fortunately it happened just before anyone was in it. So, the past two times I've seen the show (once old, once new) the vortex has collapsed both times. They said this was the first time it's happened with guests actually in the tunnel, but I wonder...

Anyway, I think they were going to give dry t-shirts to the guests who got a soaking. :)

In my case I went to guest services and explained that we are seasonal passholders and we justified paying $41 per ticket to come for dinner and fireworks because there was also a new attraction to see. The employee in guest services (George) was very nice and gave us 4 comp tickets to come back again during the summer to see Poseidon's Fury. I imagine the people who got soaked would be compensated similarly if they complained to guest services.

A vortex crash (with guests in the vortex - show scene #3) does occur every now and then. Although it is very, very, very rare. Typically, the techs get a warning signal that the vortex "may" crash and the operations crew is able to back the guests out of the scene before the crash.

The vortex typically only occurs in the event of a global E-Stop. In other words, the computers that run the building have found a serious-enough glitch in the effects and operation of the show that it automatically shuts everything down. This is a safety precaution - similar to any other attraction that unexpectedly stops.

I would assume (from your description) that the Temple Doors not opening was indeed a bad sign. It sounds like there may have been an error in the final scene that was not allowing the doors to open.

Apologies about your experience. Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your day. (at least were you able to cool off from the summertime heat?)

the vortex crashing? i would love to have been there to see that. Sorry about your experience.

Actually the experience wasn't that bad...the vortex crashed just before we entered. Everyone in front of us got totally drenched and we barely got wet at all...just a little bit from the water splashing off everyone in front of us! :) Was really strange that I was actually thinking about it crashing seconds before it happened since I saw it fail on our last visit too.

The rest of the day was fine. We had a good meal at Mythos and got to see the Xtreme Xventure show which we usually don't get to see. The fireworks were fantastic too. We thought they were much better than the local 'Red, Hot and Boom!' display we saw in Altamonte Springs the night before.

Aloha Johare,
Something that rarely happens, but has happened the last two times you have seen the show :confused:

Well, not that I think you are the "global E-Stop" :rolleyes: , but if I ever get back to Universal, I would like to have a meet anyplace except the Vortex. ;)

If you happen to be around and it happens a third time, Guest Services will probably give you passes to WDW.:tongue:

"Did they give you anything to compensate for the unexpected soaking?"

Why does everyone feel like they are entitled to something?

Yes, they got wet but it is only h2o. ACCIDENTS happen!

Wow, sorry to hear about this. BUt it would have been something to see though.

I have not been there yet and don't know much about Poseidon's Fury. What ride is this? And what is the Vortex? Are there any links to pictures? Thank you!:bounce: :pinkbounc :wave: :wave: :wave: :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

Poseidon's fury is a walk thru attraction with special effects. It takes you thru atlantis. The vortex is where water whirls around you. It is really really cool.

Dznefreek,

I think they gave the people who got soaked dry tshirts (and maybe even dry shorts) which was entirely appropriate. We had a nice dinner at Mythos that evening and I'm not sure we would have enjoyed it as much sitting in wet clothes.

Am i the only one thinking, my kids would probably think it was totally cool if the vortex crashed with us in it!!!LOL

Yeah - it would be totally kewl - unless my Kilobuck Digital Video Camera happened to get totally trashed in the process...

How much water are we talking about? I remember going through the vortex when we saw the show a couple of years ago and I can't estimate how 'deep' the water is.

Have Fun!
-bruce

sig.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter