Possible first DVC contract Vero beach

Tsott123

Earning My Ears
My girlfriend and I are looking into buying into DVC this would be our first contract. We thought about getting a contract at Vero beach or hilton head because they are much cheaper than buying at WDW but I still have some concerns. I know the resort expires in 2042 so it would be a shorter contract. I’m just here looking for some opinions!

Annual maintenance fees at Vero and Hilton Head are higher than the Orlando WDW resorts. So, even though your initial cost will be lower, the actual cost year after year can be higher.

Also, are you planning to use it primarily to trade in to WDW resorts at 7 months? Availability could be a concern. If you can only use your points at Vero or Hilton Head, wold you be happy staying at one of those locations instead? If not, it's probably better to purchase one of the WDW locations ("buy where you want to stay").

Do not buy Vero or HHI if your goal is booking on Disney property (WDW or DL). You will never be able to book before 7 months, and you will generally get SSR or OKW, both of which have significantly lower dues.

The devil of DVC is the annual dues, and the dues for both VEro and HHI are high.

Gotcha thank you! Do you think it would be more worth it to spend at a resort not ending in 2042? Or os the best value still st SSR or OKW?

Annual maintenance fees at Vero and Hilton Head are higher than the Orlando WDW resorts. So, even though your initial cost will be lower, the actual cost year after year can be higher.

Also, are you planning to use it primarily to trade in to WDW resorts at 7 months? Availability could be a concern. If you can only use your points at Vero or Hilton Head, wold you be happy staying at one of those locations instead? If not, it's probably better to purchase one of the WDW locations ("buy where you want to stay").

That’s the plan is to primarily trade in and do WDW 7 months out

What is the actual goal? That is, what do you hope to accomplish by owning DVC?

Normally I would say don't do it, however... In 2017 we bought a bundle of two 50 point Vero contracts purely on speculation and sold them separately last year. We made a $1700 profit. It's a bit risky if you don't like Vero as 7 month reservations will be beyond difficult in the next couple years. Personally, I would only buy small point contract(s) as the large Vero's will get even harder to sell. Prices aren't anywhere near the bottom and it will take years for them to reach pre-coronavirus prices so you have to be okay with the MF's.

I'm thinking under $50 even for smaller contracts later this fall. We've done lots of buying/selling since 1996 and it occurred to me this morning that I might get a couple small Vero's that I can use and then unload in a couple years. I didn't for a second imagine I could do it a second time, but I believe it is the time to rethink everything. It might be a good way to get started with DVC IMHO. Do your homework!

The goal would to be to get a contract at Vero and primarily use it for WDW resorts 7 months out
Questions to help you shape, expand, and develop your goal or plan:
  • How often to you intend to visit WDW? What months? How long will you stay?
  • How far in advance will you be able to make firm plans and book the reservation?
  • How often to you intend to visit other Disney destinations? This includes Hilton Head, Vero, Disneyland, Oahu, Asia locations, Paris, etc. Consider, as you ponder question: How often do you intentions include a DVC location vs a non-DVC location?
  • How often do you intend to do travel completely outside DVC and not involving DVC? (This is just to establish some balance?)
  • How many of you are traveling?
  • What size unit will you most often hope to book? What other unit sizes are either acceptable, workable, or likely? Related to this: How many points will you need for your targeted location, unit size and travel dates? How much will this run annually in dues based on your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last choice DVC properties?
  • Why DVC vs any other timeshare? Why DVC vs a hotel chain?
  • Why own vs rent?
  • Why DVC?
  • What do you especially like about Vero?
  • How many other Disney resorts have you visited? What were the Pros/Cons for these? Which features would you hope to recreate with DVC or to avoid?
  • etc.

How old are you? 2042 is not that far off. Buying at one of those has different considerations for someone that is 30 versus someone that is 60.

I personally think SSR is the best value from a purely monetary view. I think BLT inches it out when you consider location and annual dues.

I also echo previous posters: Don't buy HHI or VB with the plans to trade every year into WDW. Even if you travel during low seasons like August or Spetember, dues will eat away at the initial buy in savings.

The goal would to be to get a contract at Vero and primarily use it for WDW resorts 7 months out
I wouldn't recommend that approach. Not only are MFs higher at VB, but points per night are higher in many seasons than SSR/OKW/BWV. I would say buy at SSR, based on the goals you have expressed.

I would advise against it if WDW is your goal. Things are going to be tough the next few years, given the shut down.

Studios are going to be even tougher with the temporary rule change of only borrowing 50%.

I would go for SSR, or OKW. You can book on property and then trade out at 7 months if there other resorts to try.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with HH. It is a wonderful resort to visit as well.

Buy VB and HHI to stay at VB and HHI. Booking something at seven months is getting harder, especially studios. If your goal is going to WDW, buy a WDW resort. Then you can book your home resort at 11 months out, then check to see if anything else is available at seven months out. So pick at WDW resort that you won't mind staying at if you can't change at seven months.

How old are you? 2042 is not that far off. Buying at one of those has different considerations for someone that is 30 versus someone that is 60.

I personally think SSR is the best value from a purely monetary view. I think BLT inches it out when you consider location and annual dues.

I also echo previous posters: Don't buy HHI or VB with the plans to trade every year into WDW. Even if you travel during low seasons like August or Spetember, dues will eat away at the initial buy in savings.
I’m 29 and my girlfriend is 28

I think it's pretty simple if you want to stay at WDW or DL then you buy a resort in those locations.

They already put in place restrictions on borrowing points. That 100% screams extremely limited or no avaliablity at WDW.

Buy SSR, AKL, or OKW and if you can't afford it then wait and save until you can. Contract prices will be dropping likely over the next 6-12 months.

I’m 29 and my girlfriend is 28

With the two of you still in your twenties, I understand how the expiration date can be a significant factor in deciding on where to buy. However, 20+ years is still a significant amount of time, and you can have plenty of wonderful vacations in that span. One of the great things about DVC is that there IS an expiration, because after it's done then your hands are clean of any future commitment. DVC isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and you can always look into buying additional contracts later.

No one can predict how your travel patterns will be in the future. My wife and I bought in 4 years ago because we were going to WDW often enough to justify the purchase. FFWD to today, and we find we would rather use our PTO on international trips (covid-19 aside).

To summarize: Buy where you want to stay, but don't think too much about the expiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter