Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Is anyone worried about the mechanics issue and the most recent crash of a Boeing 737 Max 8?

I am booked on SW on a flight to MCO late April/early May. My flight there is on a Max 8. I am starting to worry, because of this issue with the mechanics and all the allegations on both sides of planes being sent into the air with known issues (that the mechanics insist are NOT cosmetic).

I booked my flights with points, and am considering cancelling them and booking with Delta. Am I being paranoid?
I am not concerned. We are flying to and from mco in April.

Updated Mar 13/19: Now that I've learned more I understand the concern. At this point I would choose to change flights if that is an option if I were scheduled to fly on a Max 8. Canada has just banned these planes in Canadian airspace.

Last edited:
Is anyone worried about the mechanics issue and the most recent crash of a Boeing 737 Max 8?
All airlines have issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to fly on any US flagged carrier for safety reasons.

The 737MAX8 issue on both occasions (the first almost certainly, the second sounds exactly the same to the letter) stems from an automated system change, and there's a new Boeing bulletin that involves pilot training and all US airlines have completed it.

What occurred is that because of the 737MAX8's big engines, the stall recovery handling is different than on the 737-800, so to assist pilots if it detects the approach of a stall condition it will trim the nose of the aircraft down to avoid it, and continue trimming unless one of the pilots stops it. If either pitot tube on the aircraft gets blocked, it can also cause this, so the appropriate response is to disconnect the autopilot in the event of an airspeed unreliable event (where the captain and first officer show different airspeed indications because one pitot is blocked or problematic) to prevent this. This is a, "Memory item," on the type certification for the 737MAX series now, which means it's something that pilots train and are tested on to perform automatically without a checklist in the event of a problem.

The most recent crash specifically stated to ATC that they were having trouble maintaining a nose up attitude, while the previous one was the cause of the Boeing bulletin in the first place and had exactly the same issue.

All airlines have issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to fly on any US flagged carrier for safety reasons.

The 737MAX8 issue on both occasions (the first almost certainly, the second sounds exactly the same to the letter) stems from an automated system change, and there's a new Boeing bulletin that involves pilot training and all US airlines have completed it.

What occurred is that because of the 737MAX8's big engines, the stall recovery handling is different than on the 737-800, so to assist pilots if it detects the approach of a stall condition it will trim the nose of the aircraft down to avoid it, and continue trimming unless one of the pilots stops it. If either pitot tube on the aircraft gets blocked, it can also cause this, so the appropriate response is to disconnect the autopilot in the event of an airspeed unreliable event (where the captain and first officer show different airspeed indications because one pitot is blocked or problematic) to prevent this. This is a, "Memory item," on the type certification for the 737MAX series now, which means it's something that pilots train and are tested on to perform automatically without a checklist in the event of a problem.

The most recent crash specifically stated to ATC that they were having trouble maintaining a nose up attitude, while the previous one was the cause of the Boeing bulletin in the first place and had exactly the same issue.

Thank you for this explanation.

I think I am worrying more than normal because I am flying solo and leaving my husband and kids at home this time. I always worry about something happening to me, but more so when I travel solo. This accident this morning just ratcheted up my anxiety, but I recognize that it's likely not a realistic fear.

I recognize that it's likely not a realistic fear.
To put it in perspective and set your mind a bit more at ease, since 2009 there has been one incident inside the US resulting in passenger fatalities - the WN window blowout, resulting in one total fatality in 9 years, during which time over 7 billion passengers flew around the US. For all of commercial aviation, the only incident to increase that was the 767 cargo jet crash two weeks ago, which brought it up to 4 in 9 years.

Basically, the car ride to the airport, one way, is much more statistically dangerous. Vending machines kill more people than airlines. And, actually, I'm pretty certain that eating at the airport is more dangerous, especially when you try out the, "Terminal snack bar," (such a promising name!)

Thank you for this explanation.

I think I am worrying more than normal because I am flying solo and leaving my husband and kids at home this time. I always worry about something happening to me, but more so when I travel solo. This accident this morning just ratcheted up my anxiety, but I recognize that it's likely not a realistic fear.
What was the accident? Flying late April as well.

I am booked on SW on a flight to MCO late April/early May. My flight there is on a Max 8. I am starting to worry, because of this issue with the mechanics and all the allegations on both sides of planes being sent into the air with known issues (that the mechanics insist are NOT cosmetic).

I booked my flights with points, and am considering cancelling them and booking with Delta. Am I being paranoid?

How can you tell what type of aircraft it will be? I just don’t see it on my SW app...

How can you tell what type of aircraft it will be? I just don’t see it on my SW app...
They fly exclusively the 737, and their fleet is interchangeable so you can't tell what version. They also don't use assigned seats specifically so that they can change out aircraft on a whim. Currently 34 of their 754 aircraft fleet is the MAX8.

When you look at the list of flights on southwest.com, the flight numbers are listed to the right of either ‘nonstop,’ ‘one-stop,’ etc; when you click the flight number(s), it will open a box with all flight info, including aircraft. Of course, there is always the remote possibility that there will be an aircraft swap, but not likely, under normal circumstances.

Flight information
Flight # 650
% Ontime arrival
100%
% > 30 min late 0%
% Cancellation 0%
Average delay time 7 Min
Aircraft information
Aircraft type Boeing 737 MAX8
No. of seats 175
WiFi & FreeTV available

When you look at the list of flights on southwest.com, the flight numbers are listed to the right of either ‘nonstop,’ ‘one-stop,’ etc; when you click the flight number(s), it will open a box with all flight info, including aircraft. Of course, there is always the remote possibility that there will be an aircraft swap, but not likely, under normal circumstances.

Flight information
Flight # 650
% Ontime arrival
100%
% > 30 min late 0%
% Cancellation 0%
Average delay time 7 Min
Aircraft information
Aircraft type Boeing 737 MAX8
No. of seats 175
WiFi & FreeTV available

Yep, this. Also, my connecting flight is a nonstop from Oakland to MCO. They use the Max8 now on all the transcontinental/long haul non stops.

I have 7 of us booked on one reservation and would like to switch our flight to take advantage of a better option. It seems like the only way I can change us is as one unit though. This is a problem because there is 1 fare at $147, 3 fares at 154, and then the rest would be at $173. Will I have to call to be able to get these fares or is there just no way to do it since I booked us all together?

What startled me about this is that this airline has a stellar safety record and is a major airline in Africa. They just accepted delivery of that particular Max8 plane in November, so it was brand new.
Aviation maintenance is nothing like vehicle maintenance though, so mechanically a 30+ year old bird is still basically brand new. If you took care of your car the way the airline took care of their aircraft, you'd have your engine rebuilt at least every couple of years, and every 5 years you'd pull the entire thing apart down to the chassis to locate and fix any issues.

A blocked pitot tube can still happen at any time though, it's caused a whole bunch of crashes (Air France was a big one) where the pilots weren't trained properly with how to handle it.

I have 7 of us booked on one reservation and would like to switch our flight to take advantage of a better option. It seems like the only way I can change us is as one unit though. This is a problem because there is 1 fare at $147, 3 fares at 154, and then the rest would be at $173. Will I have to call to be able to get these fares or is there just no way to do it since I booked us all together?
@SouthFayetteFan do you happen to know?

@SouthFayetteFan do you happen to know?
Full disclosure: I have NOT done this with the new system. My experience with this was with the old system probably 5+ years ago too...

That said, if you call in, they should be able to split those flights on to separate confirmation numbers. I once had my wife, daughter and I all booked on 1 confirm and had to do that to take advantage of a very similar situation. If you get the wrong agent though, they'll have no idea what you're talking about, if that's the case say thanks and try calling back, lol! Once they separate your flights on to separate reservations you'll be able to modify them and do what you need to do.

If the idea of talking to people doesn't interest you (which I totally get) can you just cancel the flight and book again? (If they are booked as a round trip though I can see why this wouldn't work).

Side Note to all: Your situation is why I always book every SW flight as one-way, one person. The ultimate flexibility :)

Full disclosure: I have NOT done this with the new system. My experience with this was with the old system probably 5+ years ago too...

That said, if you call in, they should be able to split those flights on to separate confirmation numbers. I once had my wife, daughter and I all booked on 1 confirm and had to do that to take advantage of a very similar situation. If you get the wrong agent though, they'll have no idea what you're talking about, if that's the case say thanks and try calling back, lol! Once they separate your flights on to separate reservations you'll be able to modify them and do what you need to do.

If the idea of talking to people doesn't interest you (which I totally get) can you just cancel the flight and book again? (If they are booked as a round trip though I can see why this wouldn't work).

Side Note to all: Your situation is why I always book every SW flight as one-way, one person. The ultimate flexibility :)

We would lose our Earlybird if we cancelled, right?

Oh yeah - I wasn't thinking about that. I'd call in and see if they can get you split up then.

Thanks for your help! I might just wait and see if the price for 7 tickets comes down a bit. We have an option that currently works, but it's a 2-stop flight. This would allow us to change to a 1-stop flight.

I'm 2.5 weeks out from my flight and want to change it to an early flight. I can login to my account and select change flight, but then I get an error message on the website saying it's unable to process my request. Is anyone else having problems? I've never changed my flight so close so I don't know if they lock down changes at a certain period. Any insights will be appreciated

I'm 2.5 weeks out from my flight and want to change it to an early flight. I can login to my account and select change flight, but then I get an error message on the website saying it's unable to process my request. Is anyone else having problems? I've never changed my flight so close so I don't know if they lock down changes at a certain period. Any insights will be appreciated
Yes, I have been seeing that message for weeks, when I try to refare certain flights. The error message indicates that if assistance is required, to call Southwest. I just don't have the time to stay on hold with them, so I have not called.

You can try starting searching for a new flight. If the flight/date you want is available, cancel your existing, then use those funds to book new flight. You have the risk, however, that you cancel your flight and then can't book the new date. I would call Southwest to do this for you; there is no extra cost to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter