Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

As a general rule, buying points is only a good idea if you need a few points extra to book a reservation.
Pick a flight that you would potentially fly in the future. How many points does it cost versus how much would you pay in cash? Then calculate how much it would cost to buy the points for that reservation. Every time I’ve ever done this, it was always more to buy the points than to pay with cash, even when there were sales. YMMV but it’s never worked out mathematically for me.

Yep even with their current special offer it’s still more to purchase points than to just pay for flight.

This sounds like what happened to us - our flight changed and had both legs of our flight overlapping. When I called (CSR was laughing), she basically said the same thing. They hadn't finished completing all the flight changes so we were on the first leg of one flight and the second leg of another. I almost recommend calling instead of trying to use social media to contact them right now. I finally called after no answer on FB Messenger and I only waited about 15 minutes. You can have them call you back once it's your turn in line.

And after all that I ended up cancelling our flights (SW & Delta) and rebooking for an airport closer to home after I saw the SW price drop. Paid a bit more on Delta, but it evens out.

Bottom line: airlines are a bit of a mess. Check your flights often!
I never did receive any response from my social media DM, but got through on the phone with about a 25 minute wait. The CSR Indicated that even though I received an email with a complete routing, the system only was confirming the second leg; I was floored when she told me the first leg’s flight did not even exist. It has been about a week since the email was sent, with no follow up; my account still shows only the 2nd leg. I hate to think how many customers never look at their reservations, till they check in for their flights and only then see this kind of problem.

BTW, I asked both about the next round of schedule adjustments, as well as why there continue to be so many changes. The response was that they find out about schedule adjustments when customers find out, and that adjustments to the schedule are based on demand.

Last edited:
Our Labor Weekend fares just dropped about $100 dollars each way from BHM to MCO. Points also dropped about 10,000. So you may want to check!

With our companion pass, I usually have to call to make changes but I clicked online and was able to switch to a higher booking class for one of our legs cheaper than what I originally paid for the “wanna get away” rate. I was able to get business select for $50 cheaper than my original ticket. The “wanna get away” price dropped to $98, but I want to maximize the points I get and “a” group. The rest of my funds were returned as flight credit.

Our Labor Weekend fares just dropped about $100 dollars each way from BHM to MCO. Points also dropped about 10,000. So you may want to check!

With our companion pass, I usually have to call to make changes but I clicked online and was able to switch to a higher booking class for one of our legs cheaper than what I originally paid for the “wanna get away” rate. I was able to get business select for $50 cheaper than my original ticket. The “wanna get away” price dropped to $98, but I want to maximize the points I get and “a” group. The rest of my funds were returned as flight credit.
Checked out our flights Th-Sun Labor Day weekend. About 1.5k pp drop for the way down, so definitely taking that for the five of us!

A RT trip will count as 2 flights towards A list right?

Also - it says it resets on January 1. Does that mean I have until 12/31 to complete my 25 flights?

Reiterating checking flights! Ours did not change but when checking current schedules for flights leaving MCO they added another direct flight! (we are flying to RDU). We were originally changed from an 8:55 pm nonstop to a 12:05 pm nonstop (the only one of the day) which was not ideal but whatever - I hate not having some park time or at least a relaxing morning and meal on departure day....but they must have just added a nonstop flight departing at 2:35pm so we get an extra 2.5 hours! Luckily I was just reviewing upcoming reservations. Another reason to check and recheck itineraries in case they move things around! No increase in price so the hardest thing was canceling CP in order to modify!

Use of Southwest gift cards as form of payment:

• A Southwest gift card can be used for Passenger travel only on Southwest Airlines, excluding Southwest Airlines group tickets.
  • A Southwest gift card is not valid for the purchase of Southwest Airlines Vacation Packages, cargo, hotel, rental car, Southwest Airlines merchandise, Southwest Airlines group tickets, EarlyBird Check-In, oversized and excess baggage fees, upgraded boarding at the airport, Pet Fare, unaccompanied minor service charge, additional Southwest gift cards, or inflight purchases. Sales tax, security fees, and passenger facilities charges may be paid for with a Southwest gift card.

yeah I know... but it was the only nonstop so my hands were tied.

But the good news is that I looked and I was able to get back 5600 points because it was less points then when I booked. It was that nervous moment when you cancel your flights to get the points back and then rebook it. It's never an issue with Jetblue because we have so many points with them that I will book the cheaper flight and then cancel the more expensive one. I didn't have that luxury this time with SW because I only had 120 points in reserve. :crazy: :crazy:

With SWA you don't need to cancel and rebook (you will lose your EBCI if you do this), just change it. That way you don't lose anything.

With SWA you don't need to cancel and rebook (you will lose your EBCI if you do this), just change it. That way you don't lose anything.

I couldn’t do that because it would be trying to change the flight I was already on. I would’ve had to change to a completely different flight.

I actually just changed my flight to stay another day in order to do an AP preview of Remi! So excited!

I couldn’t do that because it would be trying to change the flight I was already on. I would’ve had to change to a completely different flight.

I actually just changed my flight to stay another day in order to do an AP preview of Remi! So excited!

For future reference, you can still use the change feature. It will pull up all flights on the selected day, including the one you are currently booked on, with the new price. You just pick that same flight again. No problem at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter