Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

and sorry I didnt have any information on the flying stand-by question as I've never done it before!!

I do have a question about upgrading your seat at the gate - I know with our SW visa we get 4 upgrades a year and we're flying out of RDU /LAS in May and right now we have a flight with 1 stop- if I upgrade my seat at the gate at RDU it only upgrades my seat just from RDU to MDW where my first stop is, and doesn't upgrade it from MDW to LAS, right?

and sorry I didnt have any information on the flying stand-by question as I've never done it before!!

I do have a question about upgrading your seat at the gate - I know with our SW visa we get 4 upgrades a year and we're flying out of RDU /LAS in May and right now we have a flight with 1 stop- if I upgrade my seat at the gate at RDU it only upgrades my seat just from RDU to MDW where my first stop is, and doesn't upgrade it from MDW to LAS, right?
Correct, you are buying one upgraded boarding position on one segment.

638586 TRAVEL ADVISORY

Midwest Winter Weather
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the cities and dates listed below, our scheduled service may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

Friday-Saturday, January 14-15

• Des Moines, IA (DSM)
  • Kansas City, MO (MCI)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
  • Omaha, NE (OMA)
  • St. Louis, MO (STL)
Customers holding reservations to/from/through the cities above on the corresponding dates, may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

Last edited:
Our next flight is in 30 days and I got a confirmation email today which seemed weird. I checked the departure/arrival times and those are the same. There wasn't a confirmation number change either. Was this a reminder email? I don't remember getting these in the past.

Our next flight is in 30 days and I got a confirmation email today which seemed weird. I checked the departure/arrival times and those are the same. There wasn't a confirmation number change either. Was this a reminder email? I don't remember getting these in the past.
Well.... i got an email overnight last night and our 3/11 return departing at 10:55 pm was cancelled and they put us on a 7:20 PM (which is now the latest flight that day). So we now lose 1/2 a park day on our last day. Scrambling to figure how to not add a gaziillion dollars with an extra overnight for 7 adults AND pay more for flight the next day. I recommend you keep checking for emails. I guess it's better than a "day of" cancellation.

Well.... i got an email overnight last night and our 3/11 return departing at 10:55 pm was cancelled and they put us on a 7:20 PM (which is now the latest flight that day).
AND pay more for flight the next day. ...

They will typically work with you on flight changes they initiated. You should be able to change your flight to the next day without paying the fare difference. If it doesn't let you do so online at no cost, give them a call and explain that the earlier time doesn't work for you. Have your desired flight (number, departure time, routing) the next day picked out already and ask for that instead.

You're on your own for the extra night hotel stay though.

Well.... i got an email overnight last night and our 3/11 return departing at 10:55 pm was cancelled and they put us on a 7:20 PM (which is now the latest flight that day). So we now lose 1/2 a park day on our last day. Scrambling to figure how to not add a gaziillion dollars with an extra overnight for 7 adults AND pay more for flight the next day. I recommend you keep checking for emails. I guess it's better than a "day of" cancellation.
@Gary2T nailed it. You can call and they will put you on any reasonable routing within a few days of your original flight. It should let you do this online, but sometimes that is hit or miss. Know exactly what you want, flights, times and as long as there is space there should not be any problem.

@Gary2T nailed it. You can call and they will put you on any reasonable routing within a few days of your original flight. It should let you do this online, but sometimes that is hit or miss. Know exactly what you want, flights, times and as long as there is space there should not be any problem.
Thanks! I was able to change to the next day at no additional cost. I had no idea they offered this and really appreciate at least I don't have to pay more. It was really seamless. Now to find a decent hotel with airport shuttle that won't break the bank.

View attachment 638586 TRAVEL ADVISORY

Midwest Winter Weather
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the cities and dates listed below, our scheduled service may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

Friday-Saturday, January 14-15

• Des Moines, IA (DSM)
  • Kansas City, MO (MCI)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
  • Omaha, NE (OMA)
  • St. Louis, MO (STL)
Customers holding reservations to/from/through the cities above on the corresponding dates, may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.
This is why we are flying through Texas next month.

This is why we are flying through Texas next month.
That's still a risk, look at what happened in DAL and HOU last year. Flying through MSP or MDW you expect cold and snow so they know how to deal with it. If DAL sees a flake of snow they're shut down for three days. MSP got 4" of snow yesterday, this morning they are showing 4 delays, at least two of which I'm pretty sure are due to the destinations.

It's been a while since I flew into TX (last time was in 2015) but almost all the times before that to Austin, to Dallas, to Houston, etc we always had delays, some were storms like thunderstorms but usually it was just always late and I'm meaning it was issues in TX not issues in KC.

For KCI most of the delays are going to be ice related. The snow we got while the airport did get more (it's still snowing here) they'll be able to clear that off the runways more effectively than if it was an ice related issue where de-icing of the plane is needed or runway issues. The NY Day storm was ice and ice pellets this one is mainly snow. Looking at KCI's website only 1 flight (outbound flights at least) is showing delayed and that's a KCI to Vegas at 1:40pm with SWA. We'll see how it goes throughout the day so it's possible stuff started to get affected (hopefully not too bad if they do) but the snow started last night, I'm sure they've been working hard at the airport to continue treating and plowing up there.

Party of 5 flying next month PIT-MCO with a connection in ATL. Our connection time in ATL is 2 1/2 hours. However there is a MCO flight that leaves 25 minutes after we land in ATL which isn’t enough minimum connection time to book it. If we land early I am tempted to go to the MCO gate if it is close by to see if there are any empty seats. The only factors would be luggage delay possibly in MCO and trying to get seats somewhat together. Has anyone flown on an earlier flight in a connection city? Thanks!

Party of 5 flying next month PIT-MCO with a connection in ATL. Our connection time in ATL is 2 1/2 hours. However there is a MCO flight that leaves 25 minutes after we land in ATL which isn’t enough minimum connection time to book it. If we land early I am tempted to go to the MCO gate if it is close by to see if there are any empty seats. The only factors would be luggage delay possibly in MCO and trying to get seats somewhat together. Has anyone flown on an earlier flight in a connection city? Thanks!
You won’t be allowed to fly standby on the earlier flight if you have checked your luggage. If you carry-on only, then it is possible if there are open seats. You likely will not be sitting together unless you have A-list and can board between the As and the Bs. I think it would be worth sitting separately to gain a few more hours in Florida!

You won’t be allowed to fly standby on the earlier flight if you have checked your luggage. If you carry-on only, then it is possible if there are open seats. You likely will not be sitting together unless you have A-list and can board between the As and the Bs. I think it would be worth sitting separately to gain a few more hours in Florida!
That happened to my sister. Her plane landed late and she ran to make her connection. Got to the gate before boarding began. She got a text that she had been rebooked on the next flight 3 hours from now. When she talked to the gate attendant, they wouldn’t let her board without her checked luggage. After a while, more passengers from her delayed flight made their way to the connection gate. Someone made a big to do and they called a supervisor. The plane was held until all their bags were transferred and then let them board. At least it saved her from sitting in the airport an additional 3 hours. Remember: squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I haven't on SW but have on other airlines. If the airline is willing to let you do this with checked bags you would be responsible for staying at MCO until your bags were delivered, so not worth it unless you're going to leave one person back to get the bags while the rest leave. No chance of your bags making the earlier flight. Some airlines make the bag be on the same flight as the traveler, some don't.

I don’t know the rules in the US but in Canada, since 911 Canada will not fly passengers (purposely ;) ) separate from their checked baggage.

I've been delayed more than once when a passenger didn't make a connection so the plane was held while they found and removed the missing passenger(s) luggage. It's a bit of a pain but a policy personally I'm happy they have.

Last edited:
I don’t know the rules in the US but in Canada, since 911 Canada will not fly passengers (purposely ;) ) separate from their checked baggage.
It has never been a requirement in the US. Positive Passenger Bag Matching is one of the options if the baggage isn't screened by TSA as per normal. Very rarely are they going to allow a passenger to decide to travel separately but it is permissible. The last time I took my kids to WDW, our bags went on an earlier flight with Delta.

I personally wouldn't do it at Atlanta (tight connections always make me unnerved in Atlanta) and I wouldn't do it if I had checked luggage. More than likely your luggage wouldn't make it anyways and you'd be waiting around for it so the time gain would be wasted.

If you're leaning towards an earlier flight don't do checked luggage and at least all you'll be worrying about is catching the plane. As far as seats together or somewhat together don't count on that. People have a hard enough time when they actually booked the flight so if this is what you're leaning towards just go in with the assumption you won't be and if there happen to be any then that's extra pixie dust for your day :)

In 2013 on our way back from our honeymoon our flights got all messed up because of the government furloughs. Ironically to the PP's question our connection from St. Lucia was in Atlanta. Technically the jetway had been closed but the plane doors had not and we were running (because we were from the international part and had to get many concourses away) through the airport. We were on Delta. We barely made it on the plane, took any seat rather than our own selected ones and about 2 mins later the plane left the jetway, some people didn't make it. Our luggage did not make it. Delta delivered our luggage to our house around lunchtime the next day.

I think there is a preference towards luggage staying with the passenger but variables allow for it to not be absolute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter